By B&H Photo's
Compact, fast, and full-frame—the black V-RAPTOR 8K VV Camera is an impressive introduction to RED DIGITAL CINEMA's new DSMC3 platform. Sized only slightly larger than the KOMODO but boasting a new sensor, the V-RAPTOR offers multi-format capture in 8K VV, 6K Super35, 4K, 3K Super16, and anamorphic options. This versatility enables you to adapt your format from project to project to suit your choice of a variety of pro cine or still photo lenses. The V-RAPTOR's RF lens mount can be used with numerous lens adapters, and it has a locking ring that provides additional security for use with heavier lenses and steady, wide-open capture.
Versatile Production Options
Dual 12G-SDI outputs, resolutions including 16-bit REDCODE Raw at significantly higher frame rates, wired USB-C 1080p preview video, 17+ stops of dynamic range, and phase-detection autofocus (PDAF) further boost the V-RAPTOR's suitability for a range of production styles.
Full-Frame Multi-Format Sensor
- The new 35.4MP full-frame sensor at the heart of the V-RAPTOR provides 17+ stops of dynamic range that enable it to excel at low-light capture while offering the lowest noise floor of the RED lineup.
- This versatile sensor offers both 8K VV + 6K35 capture options.
- While the V-RAPTOR does not employ a global shutter, its rolling shutter with high-speed readout is almost twice as fast as that of the MONSTRO, all but eliminating motion artifacts.
- This sensor also enables phase-detection autofocus (PDAF), a boon for single operators grabbing fast-paced or unpredictable action. To accompany the new sensor, a new fixed OLPF (optical low-pass filter) enables you to capture RED's signature color quality and sensitivity.
- In response to user feedback, RED has added a right-side user interface that brings control to 1st and 2nd ACs positioned at that side of the camera.
- Physical buttons eliminate accidental selections that can occur with touchscreens, and the ability to save user pages lets you customize the interface to your liking.
- The interface also helpfully only displays the resolutions and frame rates available with your chosen format.
High-Speed and REDCODE Options
- When slow-motion is your thing, the V-RAPTOR delivers with high-speed frame rates options, including 8K 17:9 at 120 fps, 6K S35 at 198 fps, 4K 17:9 at 240 fps, and 2K 2.4:1 up to a blazing 600 fps.
- REDCODE Raw options have been simplified with HQ, MQ, and LQ selections equaling the more popular choices available in RED DSMC2 cameras. Because the 8K sensor captures such massive detail, RED recommends trying MQ or even LQ for most uses, with HQ being ideal for F/X work. Data rates range from 180 MB/s in LQ to 360 MB/s in HQ, so you can plan your media needs accordingly.
CFexpress Card Capture
Capture to CFexpress 2.0 Type B cards will enable V-RAPTOR users to avail themselves of more widely available media, although currently, only the RED/Angelbird 660GB card is RED approved. This 660GB card will soon be joined by a 1.3TB card version.
The DSMC3 form features several improvements over DSMC2 but offers only limited compatibility with DSMC2 accessories. For example, the KOMODO Outrigger handle is compatible, but POGO-connector compatibility is limited to the new V-RAPTOR version components. One update is a larger fan system with two intake valves that provide better thermal heat exchange (TEC), enabling a wide ambient temperature operating range.
Compact Micro-V Batteries
In keeping with the V-RAPTOR's smaller footprint, power is obtained using RED and Core SWX-developed Micro-V mount batteries or RED-approved batteries from Anton Bauer, bebob, FXlion, Hawk-Woods, IDX, and SWIT. Measuring less than 3" wide, the 98Wh RED Micro-V batteries will power the camera for about one hour, with one battery charging in about 2.5 hours and two in 4 hours on the dual charger. Full-size V-mount and Gold-mount adapters will be available as well for users who already have a supply of those batteries or want longer runtimes.
Input and Outputs
- Dual 12G-SDI ports enable you to output mirror feeds to two displays, or individual feeds with or without focus peaking, timecode, or other displays, or with two different looks.
- A USB-C port outputs up to 1080p wired preview video.
Connect the V-RAPTOR to a camera control unit with an Ethernet cable to stream full-resolution, live R3D video over an IP network.
Separately available, upcoming V-RAPTOR accessories include a dedicated 7.0 TOUCH monitor, a new expander module, a top plate, a top handle with extension, an Arca-Swiss compatible quick release baseplate system, side handgrips, cage-type side accessory arms, and a 5-pin to dual XLR audio adapter.