- Fast f/2.8 constant aperture allows users to capture images in dim lighting conditions and with a shallow depth of field.
- Two ED (extra-low dispersion) and two Super ED elements, including one aspherical ED element, effectively suppress chromatic and spherical aberrations.
- Two aspherical lenses, including one extreme aspherical lens (XA), minimize distance-related aberrations and also reduce 'onion ring' bokeh.
- Nano AR Coating II controls flare and ghosting with support from a new optical design that reduces internal reflections.
- An 11-blade aperture diaphragm helps create smooth, circular bokeh at all aperture settings.
The exterior design of the lens also sees some big changes. One clear example is the addition of a physical aperture ring that was not present on its predecessor. Users will be able to de-click this ring at the flip of a switch for smooth iris control during shooting. This provides shooters with independent controls for focus, zoom, and iris.
An advanced Optical SteadyShot image stabilization system will ensure sharp images while shooting handheld at even the longest focal lengths. Multiple modes are available, including standard, panning, and a new Mode 3 for moving subjects.
Other features of the physical design include three programmable focus hold buttons, all located in 90-degree increments, for more tactile control over select settings in both landscape and portrait orientation. Users also have a removable tripod foot for added stability on support systems.
- Focus range limiter switch will optimize performance and improve AF speed and responsiveness in certain shooting scenarios.
- Zoom ring torque has been optimized.
- Iris lock switch prevents users from accidentally moving the aperture ring to or from the auto aperture position.
- Front lens element has a fluorine coating that repels water, oil, and other contaminants and makes the lens easier to clean.
- Included lens hood features a locking button and a filter window for easier adjustment of variable filters (e.g. polarizers, ND).