Nikon Z9 Mirrorless Camera
Nikon Z9: Unstoppable
Stacked Sensor and Powerful Processing Engine
45.7MP Stacked BSI CMOS Sensor
EXPEED 7 Image Processor
- Top continuous shooting speeds of 20 fps when shooting in raw, 30 fps when shooting in JPEG, and an impressive 120 fps shooting rate when recording 11MP stills, with all rates supporting full AF/AE performance.
- Able to buffer over 1000 raw images in a burst, meaning raw image sequences can be recorded for approximately 50 seconds continuously. Also, during playback, you can skip to the first shot of a given burst to expedite the on-camera review process.
- Pre-Release Capture helps make decisive moment shots easier by recording frames in a burst for up a second prior to actually releasing the shutter. When this feature is activated, burst shooting will commence when the shutter is half-pressed and the buffer will retain up to a second's worth of frames prior to fully pressing the shutter.
- Electronic shutter affords a top shutter speed of 1/32,000 sec for working in the brightest conditions with wider apertures.
- Stacked sensor design reduces rolling shutter distortion so fast-moving subjects, like a golf club, tennis racket, or baseball bat, do not appear distorted when working with shutter speeds up to 1/32,000 sec.
- AF calculations are done at a 120 fps rate to keep up with fast continuous shooting speeds.
- New High Efficiency RAW file format maintains image quality akin to uncompressed raw files but with file sizes approximately 30% smaller for faster reading/writing to the memory card.
- Motion Blend Retouch feature can be used to produce an in-camera composite that depicts a series of subject movements within a single frame.
- Added with Firmware 2.0, an enhanced Long Exposure display includes a live exposure timer on the rear LCD, along with the ability to dim the viewfinder to better preserve your night-adjusted vision.
Electronic Shutter-Only Design
By removing the mechanical shutter, the Z9 can also operate completely silently and there is no worry over mechanical shutter wear or breakdown. A shutter release sound can be added for awareness when a photo is being taken, and the volume can be adjusted to suit different working scenarios.
Fast and Intelligent AF
493-Point Phase-Detection AF
Subject Detection with Deep Learning Technology
Firmware 2.0 has also introduced 20 types of custom Wide-Area AF selection patterns, 12 of which are supported during video recording, for more precise AF and subject detection within a given area of the frame.
8K and 4K Video Recording
Up to 8K Recording Supported
Full-frame 4K recording is available, too, up to 120p for slow-motion playback. Using an 8K area, oversampled UHD 4K recording is possible at up to 60p for increased sharpness and detail. Also, high-resolution frame grabs can be recorded in camera from 8K and 4K videos, for producing 33MP or 11MP stills, respectively.
Internal N-RAW and ProRes RAW Video
- N-RAW is Nikon's own raw recording format that offers impressively small file sizes compared to other raw formats as well as the ability to create MP4 proxies for more efficient previewing or transferring.
- N-RAW recording is available at up to 8.3K at 60p or 24p; 4.1K at up to 120p; 5.3K at up to 60p with a 1.5x crop; and 3.8K at 120p with a 2.3x crop.
- ProRes RAW recording is also available at up to 4.1K and 60p.
ProRes and H.265 10-Bit Internal Recording
Firmware 2.0 Video Upgrades
- Red REC frame indicator on EVF and LCD during recording to easily recognize when recording is being captured.
- Waveform monitor for realtime exposure analysis.
- Dedicated video info display indicates various recording settings, such as frame size, frame rate, audio settings, codec, bit depth, and HDMI output settings. Some of these settings will also be visible on the camera's top control panel.
- Fine ISO control in Manual mode for adjusting exposure in 1/6-stop increments.
- Fast AF-ON function can be assigned to Fn buttons; it is now possible to assign two different AF speeds to different buttons.
- Slow shutter speed video is supported, slower than 1/frame rate, for working in extreme low-light conditions or for creating intentionally blurred effects.
Professional Body Design
- Real-Live Viewfinder is a an advanced EVF utilizing a 3.69m-dot OLED panel with adjustable luminance up to 3000 cd/m2 for clear visibility in bright conditions. This EVF also works in conjunction with dual-stream technology for blackout-free viewing when shooting continuously. Firmware 2.0 has further improved the finder's performance with a high fps function, which ups the EVF's refresh rate to 120 fps for even smoother, lifelike viewing.
Four-Axis Tilting LCD
- A first for Nikon, the Z9 incorporates a 3.2" 2.1m-dot four-axis tilting touchscreen LCD that better supports working from high and low angles, regardless if shooting in the horizontal or vertical orientation. This screen's four-way tilting design allows for easier viewing from a variety of positions and the user interface orientation will also shift depending on how the camera is held.
Tough, Durable Construction
- Dual CFexpress Type B memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and promote high-speed reading and writing to keep up with the fast continuous shooting and high-resolution 8K video recording. Both slots are also compatible with XQD memory cards.
- Optimized for a professional workflow, the Z9 is characterized by its ergonomic form factor and inclusion of a vertical grip for easy switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.
- Built to the same dust and moisture resistance standards as the D6, the Z9 has a highly durable and rigid magnesium alloy chassis that manages to be 20% smaller than the former flagship DSLR body.
- Included EN-EL18d battery offers approximately 700 frames per charge. The Z9 is also compatible with other EN-EL18-series batteries.
- In-body Vibration Reduction now supports Synchro VR to achieve up to 6 stops of camera shake compensation when used with select Z lenses.
- VR safety lock secures the sensor and VR mechanism in place to prevent damage caused by movement while traveling.
- Helping to cut down on dust reaching the sensor, the Z9 incorporates a sensor shield that protects the sensor surface when changing lenses. For additional dust prevention, there is also a dual electro-conductive and fluorine coating on the optical filter covering the sensor.
- Kensington security slot helps protect against theft when the camera is left unattended.
- Backlit buttons offer easier navigation and button recognition when working in low-light conditions.
- Voice memo function for recording short spoken notes while shooting.
- Full-size HDMI port for outputting video to an external recorder or monitor
- USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C port supports tethering, data transfer, and in-camera battery charging
- Ethernet port supports 1000BASE-T wired LAN connection for transferring files over FTP
- 10-pin port offers wide accessories and remote connectivity
- PC sync port for flash sync
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi (2.4 and 5 GHz) permit wireless transferring of files, remote camera control via a mobile device, and works in conjunction with the NX Mobile Air app for file management
- GNSS for in-camera geotagging and recording of location info while shooting
Nikon FTZ II Mount Adapter
Featuring a streamlined design with minimal projections, the Nikon FTZ II Mount Adapter offers the same functionality as the original FTZ but with a sleeker design to suit its use on cameras featuring a battery grip. This adapter removes the tripod mount and has a reduced overall size for more comfort when shooting with cameras with a built-in or attached grip or wireless transmitter.
As an adapter, the FTZ II enables the use of nearly any F-mount lens on Z-mount mirrorless camera bodies. While compatible with approximately 360 distinct F-mount lenses, this adapter is especially ideal for use with over 90 AF-S and AF-P type D, E, and G-type lenses, where it fully maintains autofocus and auto-exposure capabilities for seamless use of the SLR lenses on the mirrorless body. The adapter is built from magnesium alloy and is weather-sealed.
- AF-S Type G, E, and D; AF-P Type G and E; AF-I Type D: Full support of autofocus, MF (with electronic rangefinder support), full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
- AF Type G and D: Manual focus only (with electronic rangefinder support), full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
- Other AF Lenses: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
Manual Focus Lenses
- PC-E NIKKOR Series and PC NIKKOR 19mm f/4E ED: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
- PC Micro 85mm f/2.8D: Manual focus only, manual exposure only, and exposure metering
- AI-P: Manual focus only, full auto-exposure modes, and exposure metering
- Non-CPU AI-, AI-Modified NIKKOR, or Nikon Series E Lenses: Manual focus only, aperture-priority and manual exposure modes, and all exposure metering modes except for highlight-weighted metering