By B&H Photo's
ALEXA 35: The New Super35 Gold Standard
ARRI once again raises the bar for digital cinema capture with the ALEXA 35, a Super35-format camera boasting a new 4:3 4.6K sensor that delivers 2.5 of additional dynamic range, improved performance in low light, and richer, more accurate color reproduction. This Lightweight Set combines the ALEXA 35 camera with a Cine License, both an LPL mount and a PL to LPL adapter, a B-mount battery plate, a lightweight support set with both 15mm LWS and 15mm studio rod support, a shoulder baseplate, and a dovetail. Compact and easy to operate, the ALEXA 35 offers both MFX/ARRIRAW and MFX/Apple ProRes capture to 1 or 2TB Codex drives with resolutions up to 4.6K and frame rates up to 120p.
4.6K Super35 ARRI ALEV 4 CMOS Sensor
Key to the ALEXA 35's amazing image quality is a new 4.6K Super35 CMOS sensor offering 17 stops of dynamic range, which is a robust 2.5 stops greater than prior ARRI cameras. Those 2.5 stops are split between 1.5 stops at the top end, resulting in filmlike highlight roll-off, and 1 stop at the lower end to see even deeper into shadows without overexposing other areas. Ideal for HDR projects and any backlit setups, the ALEXA 35's wide dynamic range can also be a boon when tweaking your images in post.
Video Recording Formats
In-camera down-sampling and anamorphic de-squeezing enable the ALEXA 35 to offer a robust array of 19 ARRIRAW and Apple ProRes recording formats with different resolutions, data rates, aspect ratios, and other factors, suiting the camera to a range of production styles. Recording resolutions include 4.6, 4, 3.3, 3, 2.7, and 2K options.
Stray Light Suppression
Stray-light suppression technology is used in both the camera and the new ARRI PL (Hirose or LBUS) lens mounts to deliver the full contrast range from your choice of lenses while eliminating any grayish tones.
High ISO Camera
With an EI of 160 to 6400, the ALEXA 35 offers higher sensitivity and lower noise than ever before in the ARRI lineup, even in low-light settings. An optional Enhanced Sensitivity Mode (EI 2560-6400) works with the camera's wide dynamic range to produce nuanced images in darker environments and is ideal for impromptu or available-light capture.
REVEAL Color Science
The ALEXA 35 expands your creative control options using the new REVEAL color science, color matching with existing ARRI cameras, and multiple Texture Files that bestow an ability to select looks akin to choosing a film stock, both during capture and in post-production. Created with the input of both cinematographers and colorists, ARRI’s REVEAL color science employs six factors to create improved color, contrast, sensitivity, and dynamic range.
- A new debayering algorithm combines with the ALEXA 35’s impressive processing power to create cleaner-edged images that are perfect for compositing work.
- The new ACE4 color engine converts RGB image data into the ARRI Wide Gamut color space (AWG4), producing more accurate colors and improving color saturation and tracking, even with subtle tones and lower light levels.
- The AWG4 camera color space is larger than Rec. 2020 but bypasses "virtual" colors that are outside the human visual spectrum, providing faster grading, easier color space conversion, and compatibility with the ACES system.
- A new Log-C 4 tonal curve enables the ALEXA 35’s larger 17-stop dynamic range; note that the Log-C 4 look appears darker before conversion to Rec. 709 or another color space.
- New LUTs use the improved sensor, color space, and Log-C 4 to produce optimal shadow tonality, color fidelity, and color-grading base. These new LUTS must be used with Log-C 4; they do not offer the manual control that some used with Log-C 3.
- The ALEXA 35 offers backward compatibility for intercutting with ALEXA, ALEXA Mini, and AMIRA images, and the ALEXA Mini LF and ALEXA LF images may be processed via REVEAL to match your ALEXA 35 footage. Processed images will not offer the higher dynamic range nor ARRI Textures but will have cleaner edges, better color, easier grading, and ACES, Log-C 4, and new LUT compatibility.
Versatile Lens Choices
- This Lightweight Set comes with both an LBUS LPL mount and a PL to LPL adapter, providing compatibility with a wide array of cine-style lenses.
- Additional lens mount adapters are available separately, offering access to a vast selection of existing modern and vintage lenses in spherical, anamorphic, Super35, and large format options.
- The ALEXA 35 is compatible with all common metadata standards and can stream metadata in real time using an optional plug-in.
Full Feature Set in a Compact Form
Although housed in a compact form, the ALEXA 35 camera incorporates a full feature set, including a left-side display, independent SDI outputs, audio inputs, motorized ND filters, two wireless radios, and both 12 and 24V accessory ports. At 8 x 6 x 5.8", the ALEXA 35's compact, rugged form is similar to that of the ALEXA Mini, but it incorporates the features of the larger ALEXA camera. Assistants and operators will appreciate familiar features like a simple menu structure, recording to 1 or 2TB Codex Compact drives, and a temperature-resistant, splash- and dust-proof housing. Updates include the addition of HDR viewing with the MVF-2 viewfinder, adjustable SDI text overlay, the ability to turn individual frame lines on and off, and Info Panels that present camera information in an easy-to-read form.
- Left display: The new left-side display is ideal for stabilizer, drone, and crane use, enabling you to view the status and change settings without having an EVF attached. You can even select the ND filter setting to show as the display "screensaver", creating a quick visual reminder for any stop compensation needed.
- Connectors: The right side of the ALEXA 35 offers a full interface, including a second EVF port, two 1.5/3/6/12G-SDI outputs with a return option on the second one, timecode in/out, and both 12 and 24V accessory output ports.
- Ethernet: An Ethernet port offers real-time streaming of metadata for use in mixed-reality productions (MRP).
- Audio: The ALEXA 35 audio options include two internal microphones like the ALEXA Mini LF, one 6-pin LEMO input, one 3.5mm headphone jack, embedded SDI audio, and compatibility with the AEM-1 audio module.
- Mechanical accessories in this Lightweight Set include dedicated top, side, and bottom components like an EVF support, a top handle, a bridge plate adapter, a shoulder pad, and side brackets. Support is offered for both 15mm LWS and 15mm studio rod setups.
- Electronic accessories include the Multi Viewfinder MVF-2 that is part of this set and the separately available AEM-1 audio extension module with one AES3/AES42 and two mic/line mini-XLR inputs.
24V B-Mount Battery Power
The 24V ALEXA 35 camera can be powered using the included ARRI B-Mount battery adapter and separately available batteries. The versatile B-Mount system can also power both 12 and 24V accessories, saving you the weight and space required when using two separate batteries. Third-party adapters from Anton Bauer, Hawk-Woods, and CORE SWX can be used with compatible 26V batteries. A PDM-1 Power Distribution Module is also available separately for adding seven more accessory power ports.
ARRI Tools and Apps
Make both capture and post-production easier with the range of free tools, apps, and tutorials found on the ARRI website. Use the Camera Companion app for single or multicamera remote control, the ARRIRAW HDE Transcoder for reducing ARRIRAW file sizes, and the ARRI Reference tool to create and look at files, for SDR and HDR conversions, and to export Apple ProRes, OpenEXR, and TIFF files.