By B&H Photo's
Designed for content creators needing strong stills and video performance, the second-generation Panasonic Lumix S5 II Mirrorless Camera is equipped with a host of new features to bring your vision to life. Benefitting from a new sensor design and an updated processing engine with L2 technology, the S5 II is the first Lumix camera to offer Phase Hybrid AF for fast and precise autofocusing performance. Making full use of the 24.2MP sensor and enhanced processor, this camera records 6K video for up to 30 minutes, while unlimited 4K video capture is available as well. Optimized for video, the S5 II is also equipped with a new Active I.S. system, which supports walking shots to further enhance image stabilization while recording video.
New Sensor and Processing Engine
Featuring an upgraded full-frame 24.2MP CMOS sensor and an updated image processing engine with L2 technology, the S5 II's sensor incorporates a newly-developed Phase Hybrid AF system — a first for Lumix-series cameras — providing 779 phase-detection points for significantly-improved subject tracking. Balancing high sensitivity and a wide dynamic range, the sensor provides a useful ISO 100-51200 range, which can be expanded to ISO 50-204800 for working in a variety of lighting conditions. Well-equipped for action and fast-moving subjects, the S5 II also enables full-res shooting at up to 9 fps with the mechanical shutter and up to 30 fps with the electronic shutter. Additionally, the S5 II utilizes sensor-shift stabilization technology and features a High Resolution mode to capture and compile eight separate exposures to create a single 96MP raw or JPEG file. Suitable for static subjects and when working on a tripod, this mode creates a more highly detailed and color accurate image than a single shot alone can produce and produces an image with a 12000 x 8000-pixel resolution.
6K and 4K Video Recording
In addition to stills, the S5 II sports highly capable video recording assets. Full-frame 6K30p recording with 4:2:0 10-bit color can be captured for up to 30 minutes, while unlimited video recording is possible when filming in DCI and UHD 4K60p 4:2:2 10-bit mode. The camera supports 120p video capture for videographers who want to create high-resolution slow-motion video, and RAW HDMI output is possible via an optional license upgrade. V-Log has been pre-installed on this camera and is used to capture a flat, neutral gamma curve and an equivalent 14+ stops of dynamic range provides precise control of color data in post-production, as well as seamless editing with footage shot with VariCam cameras. Borrowing from Panasonic's broadcast line of video cameras, Dual Native ISO helps to achieve a balanced combination of low noise and high sensitivity to better suit working in a variety of lighting conditions. Two dedicated circuits are provided for each pixel: a Low ISO circuit provides base sensitivities of ISO 100 for normal use, ISO 640 when V-Log is applied, ISO 400 when HLG is applied, and ISO 200 when Cinelike D2/V2 is applied; a Low Noise circuit provides base sensitivities of ISO 640 for normal use, ISO 4000 when V-Log is applied, ISO 2500 when HLG is applied, and ISO 1250 when Cinelike D2/V2 is applied.
Phase Hybrid AF System
The S5 II is the first Lumix mirrorless camera to adopt a Phase Hybrid AF system, which offers 779 phase-detection points to provide fast and precise focusing for outstanding AF accuracy. When it comes to autofocus, dependability is the most important thing, and with Phase Detection AF you can fully supplement and track the subject in six different situations that until now had been a challenge for conventional systems to capture. Whether shooting stills or video, this means the S5 II persistently captures the intended subject in difficult scenes involving multiple people in backlit or low-light environments.
Dual I.S. 2 with Active I.S.
Offering comprehensive support for hand-held use, the S5 II incorporates a Dual I.S. 2 image stabilization system, which compensates for approximately 6.5 stops of camera shake to achieve the utmost sharpness for handheld photography. For video applications, the camera is designed with a newly-developed Active I.S. system for walking shots to further enhance image stabilization while the camera is moving and recording video.
- Used in conjunction with other members of the L-Mount Alliance, the L lens mount is a versatile interface with a mount diameter of 51.6mm and a flange distance of 20mm for working with a broad range of optics. Additionally, this camera allows for the use of all the classic and modern Anamorphic lenses that have been in use for over 60 years.
- A high-resolution 3.68m-dot OLED EVF offers a clear 0.78x magnification along with a smooth 60 fps or 120 fps changeable refresh rate.
- Large 3.0" 1.84m-dot LCD is a bright, clear means for live view shooting as well as playback and menu navigation. The screen features a free-angle design to suit working from high, low, and front-facing angles, and its touchscreen design affords intuitive settings control.
- An 8-direction joystick and easy-to-use menu design enables quick and efficient operation.
- A USB-C port allows for fast file transferring as well as high-speed in-camera battery charging. Additionally, a new full-size HDMI-A port benefits video applications, a 2.5mm port can be used with the optional DMW-RS2 Remote Shutter, and 3.5mm microphone and headphone jacks suit advanced audio recording needs.
- Dual SD memory card slots — both UHS-II-compatible — offer improved flexibility for image storage, allowing you to segregate raw and JPEG files to different cards, save duplicate files to both cards, or simply double your storage space with overflow recording.
- An industry-first, the S5 II utilizes a built-in cooling fan to suppress the camera's internal temperature for extended or unlimited recording.
- A robustly-built magnesium alloy body with a dust and splash-resistant design accommodates working in harsh weather conditions and trying environments.
Bluetooth and Wi-Fi
Bluetooth Low Energy (5.0) provides constant connection between your smartphone or tablet with minimal power consumption. For more robust wireless activities, IEEE 802.11b/g/n and 802.11a/n/ac support is also available for faster transmission and more fluid remote control and monitoring. Complementing the camera's wireless connectivity, Lumix Sync is an iOS and Android app designed to pair with the camera for smartphone or tablet-based remote shooting control, wireless image transfer, and updating firmware.
Other Camera Features
- Real-time LUT enabling color grading to be done in the camera itself
- Live cropping allows in-frame panning and zooming while recording video
- In addition to conventional 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 16:9 ratios, photos can be recorded in 65:24 and 2:1 panoramic formats
- Color Shading Compensation corrects the bluish/reddish coloration on the periphery that may occur when older lenses are mounted
- Compatible with Lumix Tether for remote photo and video shooting via USB
- 4-channel 48 kHz or 96 kHz 24-bit recording with optional DMW-XLR1 XLR microphone adapter
- In-camera USB PD battery charging with optional DMW-BTC15 Battery Charger