Building off the success of its predecessor, this iteration of the mega-zoom, Micro Four Thirds Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f/4-6.3 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens from Panasonic features the ability to expand the zoom range when paired with the optional 1.4x and 2x teleconverters while shaving off more than a centimeter of length for a more compact form factor. The lens now offers macro capabilities, with a full-frame equivalent magnification of .5x that is expandable to 1x with the optional 2x teleconverter. The lens retains its Leica branding, with an optical design employing aspherical and extra-low dispersion elements to significantly reduce chromatic and spherical aberrations throughout the zoom range for a high degree of image clarity and sharpness. The POWER O.I.S. system also benefits image sharpness, minimizing the appearance of camera shake when shooting at longer focal lengths with its compatibility with Lumix G cameras' Dual I.S. function.
Operability has also improved with the introduction of a zoom limit switch on the lens body, improving the focus limiter function even further. The body's gapless construction that renders it dust- and moisture-resistant has an added level of freeze resistance, expanding the lens' field-readiness. And while its lightweight, compact form factor is suitable for handheld shooting, the 100-400mm f/4-6.3 also features a removable rotating tripod collar for fast switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations when working atop a monopod or tripod.
- Telephoto zoom designed for Micro Four Thirds system cameras, this lens offers a 200-800mm full-frame equivalent focal length.
- Compatibility with the optional 1.4x and 2x teleconverters pushes the 35mm equivalent lens focal length to 1120mm and 1600mm, respectively.
- The minimum focusing distance is 4.3', which pairs with a 35mm equivalent maximum magnification of 0.5x to support working with close-up subjects. This magnification level is expandable to 1x when used with the optional 2x teleconverter lens.
- Designed in collaboration with Leica according to the company's strict quality standards, the lens has an optimally arranged structure featuring one aspherical lens, two extra-low dispersion lenses, and one ultra extra-low dispersion lens to deliver clarity, sharpness, and color accuracy throughout the entirety of the zoom range and across all edges of the photo.
- POWER O.I.S. mechanism helps to control camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. This system is also compatible with the Dual I.S. function in select Lumix G cameras, which more effectively minimizes the appearance of camera shake by using both sensor-shift and lens-shift type stabilization methods.
- The on-body Zoom Limit Switch allows you to quickly constrain the zooming range of the lens to allow for improved autofocus performance and prevent over- and under-magnification.
- Newly freeze-resistant, the lens body is resilient in outdoor and harsh environments, supported by its gapless, dust- and moisture-resistant construction.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when working with selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques.
- A quick-shift, two-part rotating tripod collar permits quick switching between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations and keeps the lens controls in the same place once rotated for more intuitive handling.