With its winning combination of clarity, consistency, and durability, the DPA 2017 is a versatile shotgun microphone designed to deliver natural, crystal-clear sound for professional broadcasting, journalism, location recording, theater, and TV and film productions. With no switches or controls to worry about, the mic is easy to set up and can be used in fixed positions, on booms, and mounted to the camera. The low-noise supercardioid condenser capsule offers a 130 dB dynamic range and can handle peak SPLs up to 143 dB with less than 1% distortion, allowing you to confidently capture a wide variety of source material clearly and accurately. The 2017 uses a standard 3-pin XLR connector and requires 48V phantom power for operation.
- The 2017's acoustical performance sets it apart from any competition. The supercardioid polar pattern provides focused audio with an effective off-axis rejection response that is more uniform and linear than many similar shotguns.
- The result is accurate, clean sound from the primary sound source that combines effortlessly with natural sound captured off-axis.
- At a distance of 23.6", the 2017 sports an effective frequency range of 70 Hz to 18 kHz (±2 dB), with a smooth 2 dB soft boost at 15 kHz for added presence.
- The frequency curve is intentionally kept flat/linear, to allow the sound designer to tailor the audio to a specific application.
- A permanent third-order low-cut filter at 60 Hz is on board to eliminate unwanted low-frequency noise such as rumble and handling noise. The filter is intentionally placed this low and steep to ensure the richness of the voice, ambience, or other sounds.
- Low self-noise allows the mic to deliver excellent performance in quiet environments or with many open microphones.
- The microphone element delivers extraordinary performance reliability, both indoor and outdoor, regardless of temperature and humidity.
- DPA microphones’ renowned uniformity and reliability in manufacturing ensures minimum variation between units of the same model, providing similar stellar sound characteristics and performance across all 2017 shotgun microphones.
- The 2017 provides an impressively consistent frequency response independent of the rotation of the microphone around the central axis, thanks to the carefully designed interference tube in combination with the axisymmetric grid.
- The 2017 is extraordinarily robust; the technology used for the capsule and the structure surrounding it protects the microphone against moisture, temperature changes, and mechanical impact.
- The microphone offers a non-modular design without moving mechanical parts. The heavy-duty grid with a carefully engineered slit pattern on the interference tube is super-durable and can withstand impacts without affecting the microphone's functionality.
- The mic survives exposure to direct rain showers and dries up quickly to return to perfect operation faster than many other shotgun mics.