Develop an understanding of video production to serve as your anchor in the whirlwinds of technological change. Students and teachers alike benefit from a focus on the concepts and best practices of writing, camera work, lighting, sound, and editing.
This Video Production Workshop introduces you to the technical aspects of production and provides the opportunity to work in a variety of formats. Essential skills are presented in a sequence that fosters an understanding of the production process and permits you to take on progressively more complex projects. Skill sets include:
- Editing: master the concepts of editing and storytelling so you can shoot the right material.
- Camera operation, shots and angles: handle the camera in a way that gets the editor the right material.
- Scripting and pre-production planning: produce and coordinate larger projects with the aid of proper planning.
- Lighting, image control, and audio recording techniques: refine your capture skills to improve the quality of your productions.
- Studio operations: examine the technical aspects of studio creation with a focus on the role of studio anchors.
Teamwork is a vital aspect of video production, and is emphasized throughout the workshop. The three stages of the production process are analyzed with an eye toward understanding the various roles of team members, and learning how to successfully coordinate them. Projects are used throughout to reinforce skills and put them in context. Background information and lesson plans are provided for a variety of projects, including a documentary, an action scene, a dialog scene, and a news story. You gain particular insight into the challenges and dynamics of video journalism.
The companion DVD contains clips and sequences that serve to illustrate the concepts presented in the text.
User Level: Novice to Intermediate
About the Author: Tom Wolsky worked in film production and editing for many years for the BBC and for ABC News. He now runs his own production studio, and teaches at Digital Media Academy. He is the author of Final Cut Pro 4 Editing Essentials, and Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop. He resides in Elk, CA.
Other Books by this Author: Final Cut Express Editing Workshop, Final Cut Pro 3 Editing Workshop, Final Cut Express 2 Editing Workshop, Final Cut Pro 4 Editing Essentials, Final Cut Pro 5 Editing Essentials