The Olympus E-P2 is cloaked in classic black, and this hybrid photo and HD movie camera boldly brings fun and simplicity back to SLR quality. It is part of the Micro Four Thirds (4/3) camera system that enables pro-quality still and video imaging abilities in a small, unassuming package. Along with a line of compact M.Zuiko digital lenses, the system is compatible with all existing 4/3-format fixed-prime and zoom lenses from 7mm through 800mm (114° to 1.5° AOV).
The camera is essentially a 4/3-format DSLR minus the prism and mirror housing (hence the smaller body size); images can be composed and edited using the E-P2's 3" HyperCrystal LCD, which features anti-reflective coatings on its surface to enable Live viewing of 100% of the image area under the brightest of lighting conditions. When shooting in manual focus, a 5x magnification of the center of the frame pops up as a focusing aid each time you adjust the focusing ring (This magnification can be manually increased up to 10x.). The E-P2 features a port for the optional VF-2 electronic viewfinder or the optional EMA-1 external microphone.
Clad in ergonomically-designed stainless-steel body panels, the Olympus E-P2 takes many design queues from the Olympus Pen F, a popular half-frame SLR that made its initial debut in 1959. But unlike the original Pen F, the E-P2 has the ability to produce vividly-detailed still photographs and HD video with stereo sound, both of which can be enhanced post-capture using the E-P2's advanced in-camera retouching and audio dubbing tools.
The E-P2 includes a picture mode called iEnhance, which analyzes colors and brightness. The new mode mimics what the naked eye sees. For example, a beautiful sunset looks awesome in person and generally seems to fade when captured in an image. With iEnhance, the warm yellow and orange colors are heightened to be brilliant and closer to the actual scene. The result is exceptionally clear imaging with a dramatically lifelike color. iEnhance can be used in any shooting mode - from program to manual - and automatically engages when in iAuto. This along with the 8 art filters allows you to take perfect, creative images.
Other features found on the Olympus E-P2 include i-Auto mode, dust reduction technology, in-camera image stabilization, which enables low-light hand-held shooting with all 4/3-system lenses, advanced shooting modes, and creative post-capture editing tools.
This E-P2 comes with a 17mm f/2.8 M.Zuiko Digital 'pancake' lens, which with an angle-of-view of approximately 62° (34mm equivalent) and a profile of less than an inch, makes for an ideal travel / daytripping camera/lens combination.
- Diorama: Enhances a composition's depth of field to give the image an unreal touch and model-like structure.
- Cross Process: Returns depictions with striking color and contrast shifts akin to those achieved through the cross processing technique in silver halide film development.
- Pop Art: Enhances colors, making them stronger and more vivid to create high-impact pictures that express the happy, light-hearted feeling of the pop art style.
- Soft Focus: Creates a soft tone which gives pictures an ethereal, otherworldly atmosphere. It renders pictures as though they were veiled in heavenly light, without obscuring details.
- Pale & Light Color: The foreground is enclosed in flat, gentle light - similar to a flashback scene in a film.
- Light Tone: Creates a picture with a gentle feel to it, similar to one taken under artificial lighting. Both the shade and highlight areas are rendered very softly.
- Grainy Film: This effect recreates the feeling of reality evoked by grainy, high-contrast monochrome pictures.
- Pin Hole: Reduces the peripheral brightness like an image seen through a pinhole. Added to this is a unique color tone that results in a style that has an air of secrecy.