The Nikon D3100 Digital SLR Camera is an affordable, compact, and lightweight photographic power-house. It features the all-purpose 18-55mm VR lens, a high-resolution 14.2 MP CMOS sensor along with a feature set that's comprehensive yet easy to navigate - the intuitive onboard learn-as-you grow guide mode allows the photographer to understand what the 3100 can do quickly and easily. Capture beautiful pictures and amazing Full HD 1080p movies with sound and full-time autofocus. Easily capture the action other cameras miss with a fast start up time, split-second shutter release, 3 frames per second shooting and 11-point autofocus. Capture pictures and make movies in near darkness with an ISO range of 100 to 3200 (expandable to 12800-Hi2).
EXPEED 2, Nikon's new image processing engine, assures breathtakingly rich image quality, managing color, contrast, exposure and noise. One-touch Live View and movie recording lets you see the action on the 3" monitor and the Scene Recognition System automatically chooses the ideal settings. You can also select from 6 Automatic Exposure Scene Modes- Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close-up or Night Portrait for stunning results in otherwise challenging conditions.
Active D-Lighting restores picture-enhancing detail in shadows and highlights. A built-in pop-up flash is ready for those times when there just isn't enough light and in-camera image editing allows creative freedom and effects, without the need for a computer.
Advanced operation: Soften backgrounds, Freeze motion (people), Show water flowing, Bring more into focus, Freeze motion (vehicles)
Use a timer/ quiet shutter: Single frame, Continuous, 10-second self-timer, Quiet shutter release
- Full-time-servo AF (AF-F): Autofocus automatically begins after Live View is activated, tracking the subject continuously without having to press the shutter-release button.
- Single-servo AF (AF-S): Great for stationary subjects. Focus locks when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
- Manual focus (MF): Focus manually.
- Normal-area AF: Offers pinpoint precision when focusing on a small area - ideal when using a tripod.
- Wide-area AF: A good all-round choice for a variety of subjects, both moving and stationary. It is especially well-suited for handheld shooting.
- Face-priority AF: The camera can recognize up to 35 faces at a time then focus on the face that is determined to be nearest. Even if people in the frame move, the camera continues tracking and focusing.
- Subject-tracking AF: D3100 'memorizes' a subject then automatically tracks it even if it moves. Should the subject momentarily leave the frame, the camera starts tracking again once it re-enters. By using this with AF-F (full-time-servo AF) you can also maintain focus on the subject while tracking. This is a great way to photograph active children and pets.
- Miniature effect: Makes pictures appear as if they are photos of miniature scale models; especially effective when shooting landscapes from above.
- Color outline: Converts a photo into an outline image, which can be printed then hand-colored.
- Perspective control: Corrects the perspective of shapes (like buildings) for a more natural look.
- Color balance: Adjust color balance over the entire image with the multi selector.
- Monochrome (Sepia): Create monochrome photos with a classic feel.
- Fisheye: Create surreal photos that look as if shot with a fisheye lens.
- Filter effects (Cross screen): Add starburst effects to light sources.
- Soft filter: Produces images similar to ones shot with a soft filter.
- NEF (RAW) Processing: Now, convert images saved as RAW data to JPEG images in-camera. Change image quality, image size, exposure compensation and other settings while retaining the original RAW data.