Panasonic's AG-AF100 Micro Four Thirds Professional HD Camcorder represents an enormous leap forward in affordable, cinema-quality video imaging. Providing all the professional features that videographers expect in an interchangeable-lens camcorder--manual video and audio control, variable frame rates, HD-SDI and HDMI output, XLR inputs, timecode--the AG-AF100 plays its trump card with a large, 4/3-type image sensor. At 13 times the size of comparably priced 1/3" sensors (and almost 4 times larger than the 2/3" chips found in cameras costing more than twice as much), the AG-AF100's sensor brings the richness of DSLR video into a professional form factor.
Until now, if you wanted a camera that could shoot video with the deep colors, enhanced light sensitivity, and shallow depth-of-field achievable with large-sensor imaging, you had one of two options: an ungainly DSLR kitted out with any number of expensive support accessories, or access to a large bank account. The AG-AF100 not only delivers the image quality, versatility, and control that professional shooters have been clamoring for, but at a price well within most pro-level budgets.
No doubt about it: the large-sensor, interchangeable lens camcorder has finally arrived.
The "Four Thirds" name is derived from the 4/3-type (approx. 17.3mm x 13mm) image sensor. The size of the image sensor, the standardized lens mount developed for it, and interchangeable lenses designed exclusively for digital cameras form the core of the Four Thirds standards. These standards were established to offer an optimal solution for digital cameras, breaking loose the confines of film camera standards. In establishing the Micro Four Thirds standards, the flange back distance (the distance from the lens mount surface to the image sensor) was reduced by about half and the mount diameter was made about 6 mm (0.24 inches) smaller than that of the Four Thirds mount. The image sensor size is the same as that of the 4/3 type used in the Four Thirds standard. The Micro Four Thirds standards have made it possible to reduce the size and weight of cameras and lenses, and to achieve greater interchangeability of lenses together with video recording capability.
*The effective imaging area is trimmed to a 16:9 aspect ratio.
- Color setting with matrix table: Norm 1, Norm 2, Fluo and Cine-Like.
- Adjustable H detail level, V detail level, detail coring and skin detail.
- Adjustable chroma level, chroma phase and master pedestal.
- Adjustable color temp: 2400K to 9900K (preset 3200K/5600K).
- Knee point settings: Auto, Low, Mid and High.
- Adjustable auto-iris level.
*Cannot be played in 1080/60p mode. 720p VFR not supported. Class 6 or higher SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card is required for VFR recording.
*The data transfer speed varies depending on the operating system of the SD-compatible devices. The indicated rate was measured at a maximum specification point specified by Panasonic.
*The maximum continuous recording time is 12 hours regardless of the recording mode. A Class 4 or higher SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card is required for recording in PH or HA mode. For other recording modes, use a Class 2 or higher SDXC/SDHC/SD Memory Card. (The use of a Panasonic SDXC Memory Card is recommended.)
*The 24PsF output recording is only possible on the AJ-HPM200 or other third party recorders which support 24PsF input.
- Grip: The large grip is easy to hold and is also detachable. The grip allows comfortable use in any shooting situation.
- Handle: The large handle is designed for professional use. It has a shoe adapter and threaded holes for mounting various peripheral accessories. The handle is also detachable.
- Sensor marker/measuring hook: This makes it easy to measure the distance from the subject.
- Scene file: Saves six sets of camera settings and allows for a quick change of settings.
- Mode check: Displays a list of the camera settings on the viewfinder and monitor.
- Zebra: Select any two levels from among 50% to 105%, in 5% steps.
- Color bar: Outputs a color bar signal.
- Remote terminal: Enables remote operation of iris, focus, Rec Start/Stop and index functions.
- USB 2.0: Type mini-B USB port for connection of a PC in DEVICE mode.
- Tally lamps: Provided on the unit's front and rear.