Dust can be a nightmare when it comes to shooting digital - especially when switching lenses frequently to achieve different effects. Ricoh's GXR mirrorless Camera System virtually makes dust worries obsolete, because the lens is never detached from the camera. Instead, a Camera Unit slides into the GXR Body, the foundation of the system. The sensor, the lens, and everything that drives the camera lives, completely enclosed, in each Unit. When a different look, feel, or approach is desired, the Camera Unit slides out and another can be attached.
The GXR Body is the base of the entire system. Capable of accepting any of the Camera Units developed by Ricoh, the Body maintains a low point and shoot profile. Ricoh was able to keep the size of the system compact, while providing creative options for the shooter. One example would be the hot shoe, which allows for adding accessories such as a flash or viewfinder. The Body also has a built-in flash and tripod mount for added flexibility.
When it comes to the nuts and bolts, the GXR Body looks pretty much like most compact cameras. A 3.0" LCD provides a generous platform for composing and reviewing shots or scrolling through the menu. An SD/SDHC memory card slot, battery slot for the rechargeable battery, and an ample supply of controls round out the exterior. The My Settings on the mode dial, and the My Settings box, allow the most used functions to be programmed for easy access. In addition, a number of menu options are at the user's disposal for a more user-friendly experience.
- Pixel output interpolation algorithm suppresses whiteout and expands the dynamic range of bright areas
- Noise reduction increases image quality during high-sensitivity shooting
- Distortion correction reduces the distortion that is characteristic of wide-angle lenses
- AE/AF target selection provides greater freedom in framing and creative use of light
- Auto bracketing and white balance bracketing are effective for scenes where setting decisions are difficult
- Color bracketing simultaneously records black and white and tinted monochrome images, each with a different feel
- Manual flash amount enables the control of subject and background light balance
- Flag function enables registration of up to 20 images for easy viewing later