The Heliopan 49mm RG 1000 Infrared Filter is designed to help capture images of how a subject reflects or transmits infrared light.
Infrared light waves occupy the space in the electromagnetic spectrum behind visible light due to their longer wavelengths. Many surfaces and materials react to, or emit infrared light waves differently than visible light waves, which provide the potential for photographs of subjects or subject properties that are otherwise invisible to the human eye. Such images require an infrared-sensitive medium such as infrared film or a digital photographic sensor which may be more effective when used without the infrared-blocking filters that are frequently built over them.
Conventional light sources such as the sun, photographic strobes, or incandescent lighting may be used to provide infrared illumination. However, because infrared films or digital photographic sensors can be more sensitive to the relatively higher energy and shorter-wavelength visible light those sources also emit, the effects of infrared light can be otherwise obscured. The Heliopan 49mm RG 1000 Infrared Filter makes it possible to capture images of how subjects are illuminated by infrared light by blocking near-infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light waves while allowing 70% of infrared light waves 1000nm or greater into the lens it is mounted onto.
Because of the degree to which the Heliopan 49mm RG 1000 Infrared Filter blocks the electromagnetic spectrum up to infrared light waves 1000nm or greater, proper exposure is determined by the infrared sensitivity level of the film or imaging sensor behind it. The particular intensity of infrared-emitting light sources, as well as the relative location of the camera and lens on which this filter is used, can also influence exposure.
This filter is constructed from Schott glass for increased optical clarity and features a thin brass filter ring to minimize the potential for vignetting while enhancing durability and jamming prevention.
- Designed for use with infrared film or digital camera sensors by filtering out near-infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light
- Allows 70% of infrared light waves beginning at 1000nm to pass through
- Effective for infrared films or other media sensitive to infrared wavelengths 1000nm or above
- Constructed from Schott glass for optical clarity
- Each glass surface includes four layers of anti-reflection coating to prevent internal ghosting and reflections
- Thin, brass filter ring helps to prevent vignetting, jamming, and provides additional strength
- 49mm front filter threads allow for use with other filters
- Plastic case for storage and transport