The Sound Devices PIX 220i Video Recorder with IPS Display is a file-based video recorder and player with focus and exposure assist monitoring functions. It records in Apple's ProRes or Avid's DNxHD codecs at multiple data rates up to 220 Mbps, in 8- and 10-bit color, and it plays these recordings back as QuickTime files on a 5-inch display that has IPS technology back of it. IPS -- In Plane Switching -- enhances color accuracy and viewing angle. PIX also records and plays back up to 4 channels of audio simultaneously with video.
A powerful feature PIX has is a hardware-based scaler/converter that's menu-operable. It can, in real-time, convert the resolution and frame rate of an input camera signal, and record and output the signal in the new resolution and rate. You can convert up, down, and cross, from 480i through 1080p.
All recording is done onto either 2.5" SSDs or CompactFlash drives, both sold separately. PIX formats both CompactFlash and SSD drives as UDF volumes that are directly mountable, readable, and writable in Mac OS and Windows.
- Microphone preamps, on balanced XLR, mic/line selectable with 48V phantom, limiters, high-pass
- -128 dBu input noise, 115 dB dynamic range A/D
- Two-channel, line level balanced output on 5-pin XLR
- Embedded audio on HDMI, 2 channels
- High output, low-noise headphone amp
- False Color
- Zebra Stripes
- 1:1 Pixel Mapping
- Peaking Filter
- 5-inch, 800 x 480, IPS display with a glossy finish
- Yields a brighter, sharper image with improved color accuracy and excellent off-axis performance
- Provides immediate confirmation of recording, playback, audio metering, and Setup Menu selections
- CompactFlash or removable 2.5-inch SSD file storage with media spanning. Both CompactFlash and SSD media are formatted by PIX as UDF volumes that are directly mountable, readable, and writable in Mac OS and Windows.
- Large, illuminated, tactile buttons for fast and simple menu control
- 336-core, 32-bit massively parallel processor with 1.2 TeraOps for efficient video encoding
- 10-18 VDC and dual L-series battery powering (batteries sold separately)
- Metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis