The Sound Devices PIX 240i 5" Portable Video Recorder & Monitor is an external video recorder and monitor featuring gold-plated 3G-SDI and HDMI video inputs and outputs. By SDI, you can record 1080p 4:4:4 color information in 12-bit color depth to Apple's ProRes 4444 codec, or 1080p 4:2:2 10 or 8-bit to ProRes or Avid's DNxHD, and by HDMI you can record 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 in 10 or 8-bit. For ProRes 4444, the transfer rate is 330Mbps and for the other codecs 220Mbps. All recordings get stored as QuickTime .MOV files to either CF cards or 2.5" Sound Devices-approved SSDs, such as the PIX-SSD5. A built-in scaler will let you perform up, down and cross conversion, pulldown removal, and HD-to-SD / HD-to-SD aspect ratio conversion.
The SDI input and output both support 8-channel, 48k embedded audio, and the HDMI input supports two channels and the output eight channels. For independent audio, the PIX 240i also has full-sized XLR audio inputs for microphone or line level signals. Microphone-level inputs offer 48V phantom power, input limiters, and sweepable high-pass filters. Inputs can also be set to accept up to four channels of AES3 digital audio.
The difference between the PIX 240i and the preceding PIX 240 is that the 240i is equipped with an IPS display which affords an ultra-wide viewing angle. The display measures 5" diagonally, is glossy, and has an 800 x 480 resolution. Monitoring functions include 12-step False Color, two-level Zebra, 1:1 Pixel Mapping, and Peaking. You can also overlay audio metering, timecode, file type, record status, and frame rate information.
- 4:4:4, 12-bit recording
- 5" IPS, glossy, 800 x 480 pixel LCD display
- Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD codec at multiple data rates
- QuickTime file type
- 12-bit input and output video resolution
- Monitoring functions including False Color, Zebra Stripes, 1:1 Pixel Mapping, Peaking Filter
- Built-in hardware based frame rate converter and de-interlacer
- Up/Down/Cross Conversion of 480i, 525i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p
- Aspect ratio conversion
- 3:2 Pulldown Removal
- High-accuracy built-in timecode generator, with genlock and word clock output
- Ultra low-noise (-128 dBu) mic preamps with phantom, limiters, line input
- Ability to defeat audio output delay while maintaining audio/ video sync on recorded file
- CompactFlash or 2.5" SSD file storage with media spanning, UDF format for Mac OS and Windows
- Large, illuminated, tactile buttons for fast and simple menu control
- Simultaneous HDMI and HD-SDI output
- 336-core, 32-bit massively parallel processor with 1.2 TeraOps for efficient video encoding
- 10-18 VDC and dual L-series battery powering
- Metalized, molded carbon fiber chassis