The Pentax K-500 Digital SLR Camera features a 16.3 megapixel APS-C-sized CMOS sensor and PRIME M image processing engine to produce high quality imagery while delivering fast performance throughout the entire camera system. The combination of these two technologies affords a high sensitivity level of ISO 51200, full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 6 fps, and renders both still images and videos with notable image quality and clarity. Full HD 1080p video recording is supported in multiple frame rates up to 30 fps as well as HD 720p recording up to 60 fps. Video files are recorded in the high quality H.264 AVC/MPEG-4 codec and saved as .MOV files for easier sharing and editing. When recording video or making still imagery with live view, a 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor is available and provides a wide viewing angle for improved viewing in a variety of shooting positions.
Benefitting the image quality is the SAFOX IXi+ autofocus system, which works to ensure sharp, accurate focus quickly and smoothly. Additionally, when working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to provide a more objective and comparable method of acquiring critical focus. Also contributing to image sharpness is in-camera sensor shift image stabilization, which reduces the appearance of camera shake by about three shutter speed steps when working in low-light conditions or with longer focal length lenses.
For extensive control over image-making, in-camera RAW (DNG) image processing is available as well as HDR shooting capabilities. For expediting control over the most oft-used functions of the K-500, both the front and rear e-dials are customizable and can be programmed to control an array of exposure settings and camera functions. For creatively modifying imagery in-camera, a variety of filters, scene modes, and auto modes are available to enhance the look and feel of imagery prior to post-processing. In addition to the range of automatic camera settings, traditional manual shooting modes are also available, such as program, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, sensitivity-priority, and manual.
All of the K-500's technologies are housed within a polycarbonate-covered camera body that is supported by a stainless steel chassis. The design of the camera also allows the use of four AA batteries as its power source when used in conjunction with the included D-BH109 AA Battery Holder or, additionally, the optional D-LI109 lithium-ion battery pack can be used as a compact, rechargeable source of power.
Included with the K-500 camera body is the smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 27.0-82.5mm, covering wide-angle to portrait-length perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of situations. The lens construction integrates aspherical elements to help minimize chromatic aberration as well as improve image sharpness. Additionally, an SP (Super Protect) coating has been applied to elements to help repel dust, water, and grease from lens surfaces.
16.3MP APS-C Sensor and PRIME M Image Processor
SAFOX IXi+ Autofocus System
In-Camera Image Stabilization
Full HD 1080p Video
smc PENTAX-DA L 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Lens
Other Camera Features
- A 3.0" 921k-dot LCD monitor is available for live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation.
- The D-BH109 AA Battery Holder and four AA lithium batteries are included as this camera's power source. Additionally, the optional D-LI109 rechargeable lithium-ion battery can also be used.
- A 77-segment exposure metering system works to produce well-exposed and consistent results even in the most challenging lighting conditions.
- In-camera HDR shooting works to effectively expand the dynamic range of an image and achieve greater shadow and highlight detail.
- RAW (DNG) image processing is available in camera in order to quickly and easily convert images an Internet-friendly JPEG file format.
- Built-in pop-up flash with a guide no. of 39.4' at ISO 100 provides additional illumination for low-light settings and covers focal lengths as wide as 28mm.
- Programmable front and rear e-dials allow you to customize the controls available to quickly access without having to navigate through the camera's menu system.
- Enhanced creative modes, scene modes, filters, and auto picture modes allow you to easily modify and adjust the overall aesthetic appearance of imagery in-camera.
- Pentax K lens mount enables the use of a wide variety of both past and present K-mount lenses as well as compatibility with a variety of lens mount adapters.
- Eye-Fi memory card compatibility for wirelessly transferring imagery directly from the camera.
- Language support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, and Russian.