The silver Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera is a compact digital camera that features a 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds Digital Live MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor to produce high resolution imagery with notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 25600. The combination of these two technologies affords a wealth of detail and clarity in imagery and also supports full HD 1080p video recording at 60 or 24 fps in AVCHD or MP4 formats.
Both a tilting electronic viewfinder and a tilting touchscreen LCD monitor are integrated into the camera's design for working from a variety of angles. The EVF has a 2,764k-dot resolution and supports tilting 90° upward while the 3.0" 1,040k-dot LCD monitor is capable of tilting 45° upward and 80° downward. Its touchscreen functionality enables more intuitive playback and menu navigation for employing a host of camera settings and features, including control over the built-in wireless connectivity. This function pairs with the Panasonic Image App for remote control over camera settings and for instant transference of imagery between the camera and a mobile device.
Amongst other features housed within the GX7 is in-camera MEGA O.I.S. image stabilization, which helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake with any lens. Also benefitting image sharpness and clarity is the Light Speed AF system that utilizes a contrast-detection method for acquiring focus in a precise and fast manner, making it ideal for working with moving subjects. If working with manual focus, focus peaking is available as an aid for determining focus based on edges of contrast within the scene.
Included with the camera is the silver Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II APSH. MEGA O.I.S. lens, which is a standard zoom lens providing a 35mm-equivalent focal length of 28-84mm. The lens integrates two aspherical elements into its construction to minimize chromatic aberration throughout the zoom range and also reduce the overall size of the lens. It has an internal focusing system and uses a stepping motor to provide smooth and quiet performance that is well-suited to video applications.
A large 3.0" 1,040k-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for viewing and features a tilting design that permits the monitor to be tilted 45° upward or 80° downward to benefit working from both high and low angles. The front panel of the monitor is attached directly to the In Cell Touch LCD without a gap between in order to reduce surface reflections and improve visibility of the screen in bright conditions. The touch functionality of the monitor also enhances efficiency by allowing for a more natural method of adjusting camera settings and navigating throughout the menu structure. Combining use of both the viewfinder and the touchscreen is Touch Pad, which allows you to use the EVF for monitoring along with the touch control functions of the rear LCD.
If working with manual focus, focus peaking is available to provide a more objective means for determining exacting focus based on highlighting edges of contrast within the scene. Pin-Point AF allows for live view images to be magnified from 3-10x during shooting for homing in on tight details and One-Shot AF allows focus to be acquired quickly and automatically with manual focusing abilities available for greater focus refinement and creative control. Full-area focus makes use of the intuitive touchscreen design and allows you to tap anywhere within the frame to set focus and AFF mode acquires autofocus as normal and then can reset focus if the determined target moves.
- Silent Mode switches the shutter from mechanical to electronic operation and disables all sounds and AF assist lamps for greater inconspicuousness while shooting.
- A top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. aids in capturing fast-moving subjects and working with wider apertures in bright conditions.
- Time Lapse Shot automatically records sequential images over a set period of time, which can then be automatically combined in order to produce a time lapse video.
- Stop Motion Animation permits the creation of stop motion videos by automatically sequencing frames into a video file without needing to use an editing program.
- Highlight Shadow control allows adjustment of the highlight and shadow details when working in live view by using the front and rear dials; three preset patterns are available and three custom profiles can be created.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) automatically composites several images of varying exposures in order to gain greater highlight and shadow details and an extensive middle range of tones.
- Touch AE allows you to select the point within the image where an exposure metering is taken; ideal for backlit subjects or high contrast scenes.
- A Level Gauge can be used to help ensure level horizons and plumb verticals. The gauge will automatically switch orientation when shooting in the vertical format.
- Monochrome Filter mode works to simulate the effects of black and white color contrast filters, such as yellow, orange, red, and green filters, to enhance the appearance of monochromatic images in-camera.
- Creative Control mode facilitates the creation of creatively enhanced imagery by providing 22 different filter effects. These filter settings can be adjusted manually as well to suit individual images.
- Creative Panorama mode automatically stitches together multiple images in order to realize one wide-spanning horizontal or vertical image.
- Multi Exposure mode allows up to four distinct exposures to be made and layered within a single frame for unique, creative effects.
- Clear Retouch makes it possible to remove unwanted objects, figures, or other aspects of an image by simply tracing over them on the touchscreen monitor.
- A supersonic wave filter protects the sensor from dust and is able to vibrate approximately 80,000 times per second in order to effectively repel dust and other particles.
- Language support: English and Spanish.