This holiday season was a fruitful one for current and prospective Sony F5 and F55 owners with the release of firmware version 3.0. The update adds impressive new features like Center Crop Mode for using Super 16mm lenses, user LUTs and look profiles, and new S-Log3 and S-Gamut3 gamma curves.
The Center Crop Mode is one of the highlights of the new v3.0 update. The new feature takes a crop from the center of the 4K Super35 sensor, making it possible to use Super 16mm lenses and shoot in XAVC HD, XAVC 2K, SStP, and 2K RAW. RED cameras have had this feature for years, and it’s something I’ve always felt the F5 and F55 had been missing. There is a plethora of quality S16 lenses out there, and the ability to use them gives filmmakers more options, creatively and financially.
Another significant update, although only for the F55, is the addition of internal XAVC QFHD (3840 x 2160) recording with frame rates up to 60 fps. Prior to the update, the 4K recording was only possible when using the AXS-R5 recorder; and that was available only in 16-bit RAW format. While RAW recording has its place, the massive file sizes and added workflow steps simply aren’t appropriate for every situation. Being able to record QFHD internally makes the F55 an incredibly versatile camera, applicable to nearly any project.
Here is a complete list of updates:
- XAVC QFHD (3840×2160) recording on the F55 at 23.98PsF, 25.0PsF, 29.97PsF, 50.0p and 59.94p
- MPEG HD 1280x720p recording at 50p and 59.94p
- S&Q motion on XAVC 4K and QFHD on the F55
- Additional S&Q frame rate on XAVC HD 1920 x 1080 (up to 180fps)
- S&Q motion on XAVC 2K 2048 x 1080
- Additional FPS on RAW recording
- Center Scan mode on Slow and Quick motion
- Center Scan mode for Super 16mm lens
- User-definable clip naming
- AES/EBU digital audio input (four channels/two connectors)
- RAW playback from AXS-R5 via F5/F55’s SDI, HDMI, and VF connectors
- Save and Load Lens file and Scene file via SD memory card
- Available Cine-EI operation on only SxS recording
- New color gamut and Log curve
- User LUT and Look Profile
- Independent Monitor LUT
- Auto Iris
- 100% Marker
- Marker ON/OFF for each output
- Hi/Low Key function
- Black Gamma function
- 2K/HD 59.94/50.0P RGB 3G-Dual output
- Clip metadata output from SDIs
- Additional Menu items for Wi-Fi remote control
- Focus and Zoom Control
- Shockless gain
- Additional functions for CA-4000 Sony fibre-transmission adapter
- VF cable during power on
Click here for a detailed listing of firmware version 3.0 updates and links for downloading.