LaCie’s New External Blu-ray Disc Burner
Reads and burns Blu-ray Discs, standard DVDs and CDs
By Daniel Canale-Parola
While much of the Blu-ray disc talk has focused on Hollywood movies and format wars, video pros, and others who work with very large files, are more interested in Blu-ray’s ability to store 50 gigabytes on a dual-layer disc. Those folks will be happy to hear that LaCie is about to release an external FireWire/USB enabled drive/burner that burns dual-layer Blu-ray Discs as well as standard DVDs and CDs.
Designed with professional video authoring houses in mind, the burner allows you to store up to 4 hours of HD video on a 50GB disc. Authored videos can be burned without any quality loss using a number of different codecs (MPEG2, AVC, VC_1) and make use of eight audio channels of 192kHz/32 streams.
The burner is expected in November and is listed on the B&H website.
Here are the specs from LaCie:
- USB 2.0 & FireWire interfaces
- Backward compatible with DVDs & CDs
- View BD-ROM, DVD-Video and Video-CD
- Play back high-definition Blu-ray movies
- Bundled with Easy Media Creator 8.2, Cineplayer 3.4 and Toast 7.1.1 Titanium
HD VIDEO PLAYBACK:
- Windows XP with the latest service pack / Mac OS 10.3.9
- Pentium 4 Dual Core 3.0 GHz processor/Power PC G4 or higher/Mac Intel Core Duo Processor
- Minimum 512MB of RAM
- NVIDIA® GeForce™ 6600GT, ATI X600 GPU or greater
- Minimum 1280x1024 monitor resolution