The Atomos Shogun 4K HDMI/12G-SDI Recorder and 7" Monitor combines a color-calibrated 1920 x 1200 resolution display with 4K video recording and edit-ready codecs. The Shogun utilizes 4K HDMI and 12G-SDI inputs to record clean output signals at resolutions up to UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, and 30p, as well as Full HD (1920 x 1080) video up to 120 fps when used with capable cameras.
The Shogun records 10-bit, 4:2:2 UHD 4K and HD video to Apple ProRes HQ, 422, or LT formats. It can also record HD video using Avid's DNxHD format, and UHD 4K raw video using the uncompressed Cinema DNG Raw format. Video is recorded to single or raided 2.5" HDD and SDDs for fast and reliable write speeds.
As a monitor, the Shogun features a 7" IPS capacitive touchscreen display with resolution of 1920 x 1200. It is Rec. 709 color calibrated and supports multi-frequency operation (48/50/60 Hz) for monitoring and playback of a variety of input frame rates. An SDI loop output is available for passing the signal to an additional monitor.
The Shogun adds several new features over previous Atomos models, including custom 3D LUT support, Genlock In for multi-camera syncing, and improved audio handling with an included LEMO breakout cable for XLR audio. There are also a variety of onscreen tools to help you set up your shots, including a full waveform monitor, RGB parade display, vectorscope, focus peaking, and other framing, focus, and exposure assisting tools.
The Shogun comes included with a battery, battery charger, RAID adapter, two drive caddies, and XLR audio LEMO breakout cable.
- Record UHD 4K & Raw Video
- Bypass your camera's internal compression and record UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) video to Apple ProRes or Cinema DNG Raw over HDMI or 12G-SDI at 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, or 30 fps. The 4K-capable HDMI input makes the Shogun particularly useful for recording 4K output signals from cameras such as the Sony a7S and Panasonic GH4.
- 1080p up to 120 fps
- Record up to 120 fps in Full HD (1920 x 1080) for high-resolution slow-motion shots.
- 10-Bit 4:2:2 Recording
- Record in 4:2:2 Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHD formats from your camera's uncompressed SDI or HDMI output, bypassing a round of internal compression and data loss. Uncompressed Cinema DNG Raw 4K video is also supported from capable cameras.
- 7" IPS Touchscreen Monitor with Rec. 709 Color Calibration
- The 7" IPS screen features a 1920 x 1200 resolution and provides a wide viewing-angle of 179° for easier off-axis monitoring. The screen is calibrated to SMPTE Rec. 709 with 100% gamut and D65 white point, letting you monitor your colors with confidence. A standard Canon C-Log calibration is also available for use with Canon EOS Cinema cameras, so you won't have to look at flat, washed-out looking images on set. ON-the-fly re-calibration is available with the Atomos Spyder calibration tool, sold separately.
- HDD or SSD Storage
- Record to single or raided 2.5" HDDs or SSDs for faster more reliable write speeds to manage 4K recording. A 2TB raided drive will give your over 2 hours of continuous 4K recording.
- Monitoring Tools
- The Shogun offers a comprehensive set of tools to help you set up, focus, and properly exposure your shots. These tools include a full waveform monitor, RGB parade display, luma overlay, vectorscope with zoom, and a test pattern generator for signal calibration. The monitor also provides focus peaking with multiple levels and colors, false color in two modes, and fully adjustable zebra from 0 to 100%.
- XLR Audio via Breakout Cable
- The included LEMO breakout cable lets you record audio from professional XLR microphones directly to the recorder. The breakout cable offers full balanced XLR, line/mic, and phantom power input as well as 2-channel balanced output. With on-screen audio monitoring you have control over the recording of eight digital and two analog audio channels.
- Start/Stop Trigger
- Trigger record start/stop and record time code straight from the camera with Atomos' HDMI time code trigger protocols from Sony, Canon, and other cameras. Over SDI you have full support of all protocols. You also have control over file naming, for automatic backup and version control of your footage.
- Wi-Fi Remote Control
- Using the optional Wi-Fi accessory, you can control record start/stop from your iOS or Android device.
- 3D LUT Support
- Capture the exact look, feel, and color emotion for your video by applying standard or custom 3D LUTs.
- Optional CFast Adapter
- Record to small, lightweight, and highly reliable CFast media cards using the optional SATA to CFast adaptor.
- Create FCPX XML Projects
- Create Final Cut Pro X XML projects in the field so you are ready to edit straight away. Favorite/reject flags in the metadata let you quickly finding and uploading the best shots into FCPX or Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Genlock Support
- Lock to an external Genlock reference signal to synchronize the Shogun's SDI playout when using multi-camera setups.
- Time Code
- The Shogun lets you synchronize with your camera's time code. Record Run, Free Run, and Time-of-Day time codes are also available for independent external recording.