The AJA KONA 3G HD/SD SDI 3D Card is a flexible SDI input/output (I/O) card that supports multiple SD, HD, and 2K formats, as well as 4K at 24p and 25p. It features four SDI connectors that can be configured for input, output, or a mixture of both. In addition, connectors can be paired to support dual-link and 3D signals. In the case of 4K, all four connectors will be used in quad-link configuration, and in this mode 4K SDI support will be limited to input or output, but not both at the same time.
In addition to SDI I/O, the card features two types of dedicated output, HDMI 1.4a and analog video. The HDMI output can be used for monitoring or evaluation on consumer grade devices such as TVs, and features support for 4K and 3D as well as SD and HD. The analog output uses a proprietary multi-pin connector, and a breakout cable terminating in BNCs is included. You can choose between SD or HD component (3 x BNC), S-video ("Y/C" on 2 x BNC), or composite (single BNC). As an alternative to the breakout cable, the optional K3G-Box, available separately, installs in a 1RU rack space and provides dedicated connectors for all of the inputs and outputs on the device. It also enables support for an additional 8 AES audio channels and adds two RCA analog audio outputs for monitoring.
- Embedded and AES and EBU Audio Support
- The KONA 3G can handle up to 16 channels of SDI-embedded audio as well as output 8 channels of HDMI-embedded audio. It also features an 8-channel AES/EBU I/O with that can be embedded or de-embedding audio from the SDI stream, or to allow your computer to interface with dedicated digital audio hardware. An additional 8 channels of AES/EBU I/O, for a total of 16, can be added with the addition of the K3G-Box, an optional 1RU rackmountable breakout box available separately
- Extensive Third Party Software Support
- The KONA 3G is supported by a wide range of digital content creation software for both the Windows and OS X platforms. Supported software includes, Adobe Premiere Pro, Apple Final Cut X, Avid Media Composer, Avid ProTools, and Telestream Wirecast. For a full list of applications that are tested to work, please visit the AJA website
- 4K Capture and Output Support
- The four SDI connectors can be grouped in quad-link configuration to support 4K. Because all four are used, it is not possible to capture and output 4K SDI at the same time. The KONA 3G will support both the DCI 17:9 aspect ratio (4096 x 2160) and broadcast UltraHD 16:9 aspect ratio (3840 x 2160) formats at 23.98, 24, or 25 fps
- Captures 10-bit uncompressed video at up to 4:4:4 chroma sub-sampling
- Supports stereoscopic 3D workflows, allowing you to monitor in 3D via the HDMI output
- Supports audio resolutions up to 24-bit at 48 kHz audio
- Offers real-time, hardware-based motion-adaptive SD to HD up-conversion, HD to HD cross-conversion, HD to SD down-conversion, and automatic HD/SD 12-bit component analog output
- Allows placement of graphic files with an alpha channel over the video being input to the board, a selectable color matte, or the contents of the card's frame buffer via an internal SD/HD downstream keyer (DSK)
- Simultaneously records 2K DPX files and 2K QuickTime reference movies using the AJA VTR Xchange application
- Provides machine control using a master/slave configurable RS-422 (Sony Protocol) via a 9-pin connector