Hasselblad's H system cameras have been a cornerstone of the professional digital market since their inception. The H4D-31 Medium Format DSLR Camera with the 80mm f/2.8 HC Lens follows suit with a remarkable bounty of creative options. This 31MP digital camera system brings photographic excellence to the fingertips of even more photographers - those looking to step-up from the 35mm DSLR format and discriminating professionals seeking to round out their creative options.
The creative opportunities and commercial appeal of medium format is unmistakable - taking photography and photographic careers to new heights. Following the path of its predecessors - the H4D-40, 50, and 60 - the H4D-31 boasts the same features that enhance photographer's work and helps to expand their vision.
The camera's digital back, or digital brain if you will, houses the extra-large 31MP (33 x 44mm) CCD image sensor, which enables medium format capture. The back also provides intuitive menu navigation displayed on the 3" LCD, and 1 CF card slot which houses CF cards of any size. In addition to being the muscle behind the H4D-31, the back can also be used on view cameras with a Hasselblad H adapter on the back.
Venturing outside the box, this camera opens one up to the world of the H System, which provides numerous lens and accessory options. The 31 is compatible with an impressive array of optics, including all the HC and HCD lenses. As if that wasn't enough - Hasselblad offers CF lens owners the incredible option of using their existing lenses with the optional CF lens adapters - several generations of classic Zeiss glass awaits...
Hasselblad's standard 80mm f/2.8 HC lens is included with this H4D-31. This lens is a lightweight workhorse that's capable of handling most photographic needs - providing reliable performance, impressive color correction, and low distortion. With its large 2.8 aperture, it's an excellent go-to optic for low-light settings, and the bright view through the finder ensures pin-point accuracy when focusing.
Expanding the camera's flexibility is the optional CF lens adapter which allows all C-type lenses from the V system to be used on the H4D-31, as well as any other H system camera. V system film photographers can step-up to digital with the Carl Zeiss lenses they known, loved, and relied upon. Additional accessory options include a tilt and shift adapter, the waist-level viewfinder, and numerous other tools designed to meet the diverse needs of the serious photographer. The camera also comes with the HV 90x eye-level viewfinder with diopter adjustment and a built-in flash, a rechargeable lithium-ion battery built-into the camera's grip, battery charger, and a FireWire-800 cable.
Renowned for blazing-fast autofocus speeds, the H system is very well suited to capturing on-the-fly action as it is studio shooting - making the step-up from the 35mm DLSR format painless; in fact, a joy. Hasselblad gave its H system cameras the same flexibility of smaller cameras, while providing more room to play and experiment. The back's 31MP sensor captures brilliant images with tack-sharp detail - giving the photographer the ability to capture ultra-shallow depth of field, or to create larger than life reproductions, without losing image quality. Proprietary features like True Focus and Absolute Position Lock go even farther to ensure spot-on focus, while Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution reproduces color with stunning accuracy.
With a 1/800th sync speed, an integral hot shoe, speed light connectivity, and an ISO range of 100-1600 the H4D-31 is built to capture the highest quality images in any situation. (With a 4GB CF card installed, the RAW 3FR file format can store up to 100 images.) Hasselblad's 3F RAW file provides lossless image compression that can be processed in Hasselblad's Phocus 2.6 software and in Apple or Adobe's imaging environments. Screen layout and tool palettes in Phocus 2.6 are fully customizable, while features like moiré removal technology, Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution, and Digital Auto Correction make for surprisingly painless, yet stellar image processing. The included FireWire-800 cable allows you to shoot tethered - regardless of whether you use a Mac or PC.
The complete H4D-31 camera - the digital back, lens, and viewfinder - has an ergonomic, yet solid feel that puts quality into the photographer's hands that can not only be seen, but felt. From its smooth and incredibly fast capture speeds to the unbelievable color reproduction, this 31MP medium format camera not only looks the part, but backs it up. Hasselblad's reputation for quality, craftsmanship, and legendary image making is evident with every frame.
With the purchase of this item, you are eligible for a free CD version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 software (registration and shipment is completed through Hasselblad's website).
- Medium Format Digital Capture Advantage
In digital photography, the advantages of large format cameras have
become even more obvious. The basic 6 x 4.5cm design allows the
H4D-31 to use one of the largest image sensors currently available
in digital photography: 31MP. Consequently the sensor holds more and
larger pixels, which deliver the highest possible image quality in
terms of moiré-free color rendering without gradation break-ups in
even the finest lit surfaces. Basic ISO rating is from ISO 100 to ISO
The H4D-31 makes use of a new high speed capture architecture capturing full size images at the rate of 1.1 seconds per capture, working either mobile or tethered to a computer
The combination of these features makes the H4D-31 a natural choice for the professional commercial photographer wanting to work with high image quality within a camera system that supports ultimate creative expression in order to deliver outstanding images to satisfy the most demanding customer
- Digital Lens Correction and Ultra-Focus
- The H4D-31 camera allows information from the lens and exact capture conditions to be fed to the camera processor for ultra-fine tuning of the auto-focus mechanism, taking into account the design specifications of the lens and the optical specifications of the sensor. In this way the full HC/HCD lens program is even further enhanced, bringing a new level of sharpness and resolution. Digital correction for color aberration and distortion is also added. "Digital Lens Correction" (DAC), is an automatic correction of the images based on a combination of the various parameters concerning each specific lens for each specific shot, ensuring that each image represents the best that your equipment can produce.
- True Focus & Absolute Position Lock (APL)
- True Focus helps solve one of the most lingering challenges that face serious photographers today: true, accurate focusing throughout the image field. Hasselblad has used modern yaw rate sensor technology to measure angular velocity in an innovative way. The result is the new Absolute Position Lock (APL) processor, which forms the foundation of Hasselblad's True Focus feature. The APL processor accurately logs camera movement during any re-composing, then uses these exact measurements to calculate the necessary focus adjustment, and issues the proper commands to the lens's focus motor so it can compensate. The APL processor computes the advanced positional algorithms and carries out the required focus corrections at such rapid speed that no shutter lag occurs. The H4D's firmware then further perfects the focus using the precise data retrieval system found on all HC/HCD lenses.
- Instant Approval Architecture
- Building on the success of the Audio Exposure Feedback technology, Hasselblad has created Instant Approval Architecture (IA), an enhanced set of feedback tools, designed to enable the photographer to focus on the shoot rather than the selection process. IA triggers audible and visual signals for each image captured, notifying the photographer immediately of its classification status. The information is recorded both in the file and in the file name, providing a quick and easy way to classify and select images, in the field or back at the studio. IA is a Hasselblad trademark and Hasselblad has a patent pending on the invention
- An Impressive Lens Line
The highly renowned HC/HCD lens line includes 11 Auto-Focus
lenses, all with central lens shutters. Range is from 28mm to
300mm, 50-110mm zoom, 35-90mm zoom and 1.7X converter. The
built-in central lens shutter allows flash to be used at all shutter
speeds down to 1/800s. It also improves image quality by reducing
The HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter delivers an easy to use, portable tilt/ shift solution for 5 HC/HCD lenses ranging from 28mm to 100mm. The CF adapter allows use of the classic CF-lenses from the Hasselblad V-camera, with full use of their central shutters, allowing flash to be employed at shutter speeds down to 1/500s. And thanks to the large format of the H System cameras, there is a considerably shallower depth of field range, making it much easier to utilize selective focus to creative effect
- A Choice of Bright Viewfinders
- One of the important traditional advantages of the medium format is the extra-large and bright viewfinder image, enabling extremely precise compositions and easy operation in dim lighting. The H4D-40 comes with the HVD 90x viewfinder designed for full performance over the large sensor. Hasselblad has added an interchangeable waist-level viewfinder, the HVM, for the entire range of H system cameras. The bright and large viewfinder image is ideal for creative composing and the photographer is able to shoot in the fashion that suits them most; maintaining eye contact with the model, or gaining impact by shooting from a point lower than eye-level, for example
- Hasselblad's Unique Natural Colors
- Hasselblad's Natural Color Solution (HNCS) enables you to produce outstanding and reliable out-of-the-box colors, with skin tones, specific product colors and other difficult tones reproduced easily and effectively. In order to incorporate our new unique HNCS and DAC features we have developed a custom Hasselblad raw file format called 3F RAW (3FR). This file format includes lossless image compression, which reduces the required storage space by 33%. The 3FR files can be converted into Adobe's raw image format DNG ('Digital Negative'), bringing this new technology standard to the professional photographer for the first time. In order to utilize DA C and optimize the colors of the DNG file format, conversion from 3FR must take place through Phocus
- Tethered or Un-Tethered Operation
- The H4D-31 provides the ability to combine working tethered and un-tethered to get the most of your camera system both on location and in the studio
- Processing Options
- This Hasselblad allows the option of processing your raw images in Hasselblad's Phocus imaging toolbox, or working with your raw images directly in Apple or Adobe imaging environments
- Meeting Commercial Challenges
- Using the H4D-31 gives you the choice of combining point-and-shoot and tilt/shift to solve creative commercial challenges. Two basic options are available for tilt/shift work with H4D-31. A simple-to-use, portable adapter solution and the classic view camera solution. The HTS tilt/shift adapter for H4D-31 allows for portable tilt/shift with the HC/HCD lens range from 28mm to 100mm
- Two Modes of Operation & Storage
- The H4D-31 offers a choice of storage devices: CF cards or a computer hard drive. With these operating and storage options, you are able to select a mode to suit the nature of the work in hand, whether in the studio or on location
- Accessories Including GPS Recording Flexibility
- Hasselblad's Global Image Locator (GIL) is an optional accessory for use with any Hasselblad H-System digital capture product. With the GIL device, all images captured outdoors are tagged with GPS coordinates, time, and altitude. This data provides the key to a number of future applications involving image archiving and retrieval. One example is the direct mapping of images in Phocus software to the Google Earth application
- Raising the Bar from H3D
A set of additional camera features for the H4D-31 include:
- Camera electronics delivering the basis for True Focus and ultra fast Auto Focus
- Extra large 3" display on the H4D-31 provides a realistic, high quality and perfect contrast image view, even in bright sunlight
- Extended exposure time up to 4 min (256 sec) exposure
- AF assist lights for working in dark environments
- The choice of combining point-and-shoot and tilt/shift to solve creative commercial challenges
- The option of processing your raw images in Hasselblad's Phocus imaging toolbox, or working with your raw images directly in Apple or Adobe imaging environments
- 80MB/sec read-write performance on Extreme Pro cards from SanDisk
- Phocus Software - Driving Down the Learning Curve
- Special Extended Camera Controls Special extended camera controls with which to operate your H4D-31 camera. These features, such as live video for easier shot set-up and workflow, or the ability to control the lens drive for focusing when the camera is in a remote position or when the digital capture unit is mounted on a view camera, bring an entirely new level of flexibility to the way you shoot
- Moiré Removal Technology Moiré Removal Technology automatically applied directly on the raw data, leaving image quality intact and eliminating the need to carry out special masking selections or other manual procedures, saving hours of tedious post-production work
- Flexible Workflow The Phocus GUI features easy-to-use options that allow you to customize your set-up to suit a range of different workflow situations, such as choice of import source, browsing/comparison functions, file management, image exporting a number of file formats, pre-setting of options for upcoming shoots, and more
- Extended Metadata The extended metadata included in all Phocus images provides for accurate and detailed cataloguing and indexing, easy image management, and includes added GPS data functionality in order to allow a range of new functions. Phocus links GPS data directly to Google Earth, for example, making geographic reference a snap and image storage and retrieval much easier
- 100% Viewing Quality The Phocus Viewer delivers image viewing quality that matches every detail of what you will see later in Photoshop. In addition, the Phocus Viewer allows you to customize layout and composition to suit your current or desired workflow, providing a wide range of options including full view, compare, browse, horizontal, or vertical view, and so on. You can have multiple folders open simultaneously for side-by-side viewing, comparison, and selection
- Free Copy Of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
- With the purchase of this item, you are eligible for a free CD version of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 software (registration and shipment is completed through Hasselblad's website).