The black X-E1 Mirrorless Digital Camera from Fujifilm features a classic form factor, magnesium alloy build and completely state-of-the-art digital technology. The sensor on the X-E1 is Fujiflm's 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS sensor and the image processor is the EXR Processor Pro. The APS-C-sized X-Trans utilizes a unique color filter pixel array that eliminates a low pass filter and reduces moiré and false colors, resulting in exceptionally true-to-life color images, low noise and high resolution that other sensors with optical low-pass filters cannot approach. The EXR processor delivers high-performance, especially in terms of auto-focus speeds.
Fuji has created a unique lens mount for the X-series cameras. With a 10-pin data bus, the lens instantly sends information to the camera body through the lens mount, meaning fewer adjustments to be made by the photographer and more time spent shooting. The reinforced mount is only 2.5mm thick, which contributes to the slim profile of the X-E1. The short flange and wide opening of the X-mount means that the lens elements are as close as possible to the sensor and will achieve high resolution even at the edges and corners of the sensor.
An incredibly high resolution 2.36 million dot OLED electronic viewfinder with a built-in diopter is provided for eye-level composition and a 2.8" 460K dot rear LCD monitor for composition and playback is available as well. The EVF has a double aspheric lens element that offers faithful reproduction of focus, exposure, white balance and film simulation effects and has a high contrast ration of 1:5000. The LCD monitor has a special anti-reflective coating that reduces glare when viewing in bright sunlight and is water and stain resistant.
Thanks to improved contrast detection, the X-E1 can autofocus in as fast as 0.1 seconds and continuous high- speed shooting of up to 6 frames per second will allow you to capture fast-moving subjects whether they be newsworthy or simply to send to grandma. To guarantee that you never miss the action, QuickStart Mode provides a camera start-up time as short as 0.5 seconds.
Speaking of grandma, she will love the movies you can create with the X-E1's video capability. Shoot with Full HD 1080p and record in stereo sound for videos that can be screened on HDTV or right on the LCD monitor. A jack for an external microphone is also provided to record sound at professional grade.
As always, image quality is at the heart of Fujifilm's mission and to that, the X-E1 provides both JPG and RAW file shooting with in-camera RAW processing, TTL 256 Zones exposure control and ISO capabilities that range from 100-25,600. And Fujifilm, respecting their own legacy, offers something no other digital camera maker does -- Film Simulation Modes. You can set your X-E1 to produce images that simulate the tone and color qualities of the great Fuji films, like Velvia or PROVIA. If for example, you want rich saturated colors, choose Velvia and if you want silky textures and beautiful skin tones, set your camera to ASTIA.
The classic design of the X-E1 is not just a matter of nostalgia. The manual aperture ring, the exposure and shutter speed dials and electronic viewfinder prioritize photography, provide for quick operation and return us to an era when the camera was king.
- 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor
- Moire is tackled at its root cause by the revolutionary X-Trans CMOS sensor's color filter array. By enhancing aperiodicity (randomness) in the array arrangement, the color filter minimizes generation of both moire and false colors, eliminating the necessity for an optical low-pass filter in the lens and enabling X-Trans CMOS sensor to capture full "unfiltered" lens performance. The EXR Processor Pro is supported by an integrated co-processor for higher speed and higher precision image processing performance.
- X Mount
- Taking full advantage of the mirrorless design, the mount boasts a short 17.7 mm flange back distance, a wider opening, and deeper mounting of the lens, resulting in reduction of back focus distance to the minimum possible while achieving high resolution extending to the image edge areas. When a FUJINON XF lens is mounted, all lens information is instantly communicated to the body, integrating them into a seamless, responsive instrument.
- 2.36 Million Dot OLED Viewfinder
- A 0.5" electronic viewfinder provides crystal clear high resolution eye-level composition with a built-in diopter. Users who wear glasses will not need to remove them thanks to a 23mm eye-point and a soft resin coating on the eyepiece. A built-in eye sensor detects the presence of an eye and automatically turns on the viewfinder and a 25° field of view allows for the entire view to be seen quickly and easily. Two glass elements and one double aspheric element offer a display comparable to that of an optical viewfinder with high contrast and faithful reproduction of focus, exposure and white balance.
- 2.8" 460K Dot LCD Monitor
- Compose and playback your photos and videos on this LCD with special anti-reflective coating that reduces glare and is resistant to stains, smudges and water.
- Full HD 1080p Video with Stereo Sound
- Capture the action in Full HD movies (1920 x 1080). In addition to full AUTO exposure, you can also shoot with aperture priority AE. Taking full advantage of the bright XF lenses, you can also capture movies with a beautiful defocused "bokeh" background. Later with plug-and-play ease, you can connect directly to your TV with an HDMI cable and share your movies complete with stereo audio on the big screen.
- Focal Plane Shutter
- The X-E1 is designed with a focal plane shutter that sits immediately in front of the sensor and can provide the camera with extremely fast shutter speeds.
- Film Simulation Modes
- The X-E1 can simulate the color and tonal qualities of acclaimed films including the natural look of PROVIA, the vibrant tonality and saturated colors of Velvia and the silky soft look and beautiful skin tones of ASTIA. Film Simulation mode makes it simple to capture the expressive color quality of the rich legacy of Fujifilm photo film technology. There are 10 Film Simulation Modes: PROVIA, Velvia, ASTIA, PRO Neg Hi, PRO Neg. Std., Monochrome, Monochrome+Ye Filter, Monochrome+R Filter, Monochrome+G Filter and Sepia.
- QuickStart Mode
- QuickStart Mode will power-up your camera and have you ready to shoot in as little as 0.5 seconds. Never miss a shot because you were ready but your camera wasn't. When QuickStart mode is turned off, camera will start in approximately 1.0 second.
- Auto Bracketing
- Auto Bracketing is a way to make sure you get the correctly exposed shot by shooting three continuous shots at slightly different levels. You can set Auto Bracketing for: AE Bracketing (+-1/3EV, +-2/3EV, +1EV); Film Simulation Bracketing (Any three types of film simulation selectable); Dynamic Range Bracketing (100%, 200%, 400%) and ISO Sensitivity Bracketing (+-1/3EV, +-2/3EV, +1EV).
- JPEG and RAW Capture
- Shoot in JPG or RAW and enjoy in-camera processing of the RAW files. The built-in RAW data converter lets you view results in the field without first transferring the data to your computer. This easy-to-use feature not only takes into account exposure compensation, white balance and other in-camera image quality settings, but also lets you apply Film Simulation modes in the converter mode.
- High Speed Contrast Autofocus
- Thanks to the high speed X-Trans CMOS sensor and newly developed EXR Processor Pro, contrast detection has improved and the X-E1 can autofocus in as little as 0.1 seconds and continuous high-speed shooting of up to 6 frames per second will allow you to capture fast-moving subjects and never miss an action shot. Autofocus is TTL Contrast AF with an available AF assist illuminator. AF Frame selection offers Area Frame with 49 areas and Multi Frame with 5 frame types.
- Built-in Flash and Hot Shoe Mount
- The X-E1 provides a built-in pop-up flash and a hot shoe mount and TTL (Through the Lens) Flash Sync. Sync speed for flash is 1/180th of a second or slower.
- Multiple Exposure
- The X-E1 can simulate Multiple Exposure Film Technique. Just select Multiple Exposure mode and take your first shot using either the EVF or LCD monitor. Next, while viewing the first image, you can frame and shoot the second exposure. This ability to precisely position and focus the second shot lets you not only see how the finished Multiple Exposure image will look, but also explore other creative photographic possibilities.
- Drive Button and Q Button
- The Drive button, conveniently located on the back of the camera allows you to smoothly transition from numerous pre-set settings, including HD Video, Bracketing, Continuous Shooting and Panoramas, The Q (Quick Button) Button lets you skip directly to frequently used shooting menus. ISO sensitivity setting, White Balance, Film Simulation and other frequently used shooting settings are displayed in a list. Use the 4-way controller to select the item and the command dial to change settings for speedy operation while shooting.
- Photography Functions
- Select Custom Setting, Motion Panorama, Color Space, Color (saturation), Sharpness, Dynamic Range, Film Simulation, Gradation, Silent Mode, Auto Red-eye Removal, Framing Guideline, Frame Number Memory, Histogram Display, Depth of Focus Preview, Focus Check, Electronic Level, Multiple Exposure, PictBridge, Exif Print, Time Difference, Fn Button Setting (RAW, Movie, etc.)
- Playback Functions
- RAW conversion, Image Rotate, Red-eye Reduction, Photobook Assist, Erase selected frames, Image Search, Multi-frame playback (with micro thumbnail), Slide show, Mark for Upload, Protect, Crop, Resize, Panorama, Favorites
- Other Functions
- PictBridge, Exif Print, Language Selection, Time Difference, Quick Start Mode, Silent Mode
- External Microphone
- A 2.5 mm input jack provides a connection for an external microphone for stereo sound when shooting video. That same jack can be used for a remote shutter release cable.
- Motion Panorama Resolutions
- Motion Panorama: Large: Vertical 7680 x 2160, Horizontal 7680 x 1440. Medium: Vertical 5120 x 2160, Horizontal 5120 x 1440
- Magnesium Alloy Body
- The magnesium alloy body provides not only classic good looks but durability. The design of the X-E1 with on-body controls and dials harkens back to the glory days of 35mm photography.