The black EOS-M Mirrorless Digital Camera with EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens from Canon combines Canon's first mirrorless digital camera with an all-purpose wide-angle zoom lens suitable for both photo and video capture. An 18.0 MP CMOS sensor and Canon's DIGIC 5 Image Processor ensure high performance and exceptional image quality and ultra-fast focusing is delivered via the Hybrid CMOS AF system. ISO sensitivity ranges from 100-12800 and expands to 25600 for sharp details when shooting at high zoom and in low light.
A 3.0" Clear View LCD monitor II offers multi-touch operation including Touch Auto-focus. A 1040K-dot, smudge-resistant coated LCD with Clear View technology means that your display will remain easy to focus, control and view even in bright outdoor conditions. The touch screen operation is designed for intuitive scroll and two-finger navigational control, like a smartphone.
The EOS-M is a complete image capture system providing Full HD (1080p) Movie shooting and a range of resolution and frame rates to expand your creative video-making. Movie Servo AF means continuous, quiet AF tracking on moving subjects for fluid focus transitions. Manual exposure control and a built-in stereo microphone with 64 manual audio level adjustments equal the type of handling that can create quality videos for upload or HD television viewing. An 3.5mm external microphone port is included and Video Snapshot, for making short video clips that can be edited together in-camera, is also included.
As mentioned, this EOS-M kit comes with an M-mount EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. This is the zoom lens designed for the M-series, with a 35mm format equivalent to a 28-90mm lens. It's an ideal set of focal lengths for everyday shooting, and for a comprehensive zoom it's small enough to carry around. As an STM lens, its autofocus is smooth and quiet, perfect for shooting video. And the IS stands for Image Stabilization, which means the lens compensates for camera movement and delivers sharp images even in low light and slow shutter speeds. Of course, one of the best things about Canon's mirrorless camera is that the full range of Canon EF and EF-S lenses are available to use on this compact digital camera system. An optional EF lens adapter is needed to use the expansive line of Canon lenses, but the creative possibilities are endless.
The EOS-M Mirrorless is a camera for every level of photographer and there will be no shortage of pro shooters using their EF lenses on this new Canon camera format, but the amateur and beginner should feel comfortable knowing that this is a very user-friendly camera. Scene Intelligent Auto is the most intuitive automatic camera mode available from Canon and provides complete scene analysis and optimized settings. As they say, it lets the camera do the work. Scene Intelligent Auto is particularly helpful when shooting with tricky light, and Handheld Night Scene mode is ideal for night shooting. Combined with Multi Shot Noise Reduction, which preserves details when shooting at high ISO speeds, low-light photography is a joy with the EOS-M. HDR Backlight Control mode is also a wonderful feature for shooting in high contrast lighting. The camera shoots the same image three times simultaneously in different exposures and combines them to create one properly balanced, dynamic photo.
Add numerous creative functions and seven filter options to this package and the EOS-M provides the total spectrum of shooting possibilities from beginner auto to pro manual control. This is a quiet, compact mirrorless Canon camera kit for high quality captures with the included prime and zoom lenses, and is also compatible with the full range of Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
- Sensor and Image Processor
- High resolution 18.0 MP CMOS APS-C (1.6x crop factor) sensor and high performance DIGIC 5 image processor equal fast functional response, exceptional image quality and sharp detail in both photo and video.
- Full HD (1080p) Movie
- The EOS-M offers Full HD (1080p) Movie mode with Movie Servo AF for continuous focus tracking of moving subjects, manual exposure control, multiple resolution and frame rates, built-in stereo microphone with a wind filter, manual audio level adjustment, and Video Snapshot with editing. ISO in video ranges from 100-6400 and is expandable to 12800 in H mode. Combined with STM lenses, such as the included 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, the Movie Servo AF provides smooth, silent auto-focus function, a great benefit when shooting video. The camera automatically splits files larger than 4GB for extended, uninterrupted recording and offers a 3.5mm port for compatible external microphones. The file format for shooting video on the EOS-M is MOV with H.264 compression standard. Video can be recorded in Full HD, HD and SD and at Full HD the possible frames rates are 30, 24 and 25 frames per second. Auto exposure and manual exposure control are both possible on video as well as photo capture.
- ISO Sensitivity
- Normal ISO sensitivity on the EOS-M ranges from 100-12800, but expands in High Sensitivity Mode to 25600 for faster shutter speeds and sharper details in low light.
- Hybrid CMOS Auto-focus
- Hybrid CMOS AF uses a combination of both Contrast AF, which utilizes the CMOS sensor and Phase Difference Auto-focus to increase accuracy and auto-focus speed in both photo and video.
- Touch Screen 3.0" LCD with Touch AF
- Thanks to a new construction between the its resin-coated cover and the liquid crystal display, the 3.0" Clear View LCD monitor keeps glare to a minimum and makes it easy to see your images even in bright light. The 1,040,000-dot resolution is ideal for playback and focusing and the smudge-resistant coating on the LCD preserves the luminosity after multiple touches. Numerous camera operations can be handled by the touch screen including Auto-focus control, whereby you touch the LCD screen on the part of the image you want in focus. Two-finger (multi-touch) control allows you to zoom, scroll images and navigate the menus as you would with a smartphone. The LCD has an adjustable seven-level brightness control and a viewing angle of 170º and aspect ratio of 3:2.
- Lens Compatibility
- At this point, Canon has introduced two dedicated M series lenses: the 22mm f/2.0 STM, and the 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens, which is included in this kit. However, utilizing the EF-M Adapter, the new EF-M lens mount is also able to use any of the current Canon EF and EF-S lenses.
- Noise Reduction
- Multi Shot Noise Reduction provides outstanding noise reduction while preserving fine detail in photos at high ISO speeds. With MSNR activated, the camera takes four consecutive shots of the same image, then merges and aligns them, reducing noise and blur.
- Continuous Shooting and Burst Rate
- For still photography, the EOS-M can shoot up to 4.3 frames per second for up to 15 shots utilizing an SD card in JPEG mode. With a UHS-I card that number lifts to 17 shots at 4.3fps. For video, the continuous shooting time in Full HD on a 16GB memory card is 44 minutes.
- Advanced Imaging Features
- Handheld Night Scene and High Dynamic Range are assistive functions that allow all levels of photographers to take advantage of digital advancements to improve their shooting results. HDR, for example, shoots three images of the exact same image simultaneously in various exposures and combines the three into one perfectly balanced photo. This is ideal when shooting images that have both shadow and bright light and those whose subject is lit from behind. The EOS-M also offers seven Creative Filters to enhance your images, including Toy Camera Effect and Art Bold Effect, which makes your photo look like an oil painting.
- Scene Intelligent Auto Mode
- Scene Intelligent Auto mode optimizes all of the camera's auto controls to provide the best settings based on the camera's reading of the scene. You compose the shot, and the camera does the rest.
- The EOS M Mirrorless Digital Camera uses popular SD, SDHC, SDXC memory cards, and is also compatible with the newest Ultra High Speed (UHS-I) memory cards.
- Live View Functions
- Live View functions include Autofocus with Face Detection and Tracking AF and FlexiZone Multi and Single. Metering in Live View include partial, spot and center-weighted average metering with a metering range of EV 1 to EV 20. Two types of grid displays and exposure simulation are also available in Live View.
- Supported Languages
- English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese
- Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Included
- This kit includes Canon's M-mount zoom lens, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6mm IS STM lens. The 35mm format equivalency is approximately 28-90mm, which makes this a comprehensive wide-angle to standard zoom, ideal for day-to-day shooting needs. Its IS (Image Stabilization) technology reduces the effects of camera movement up to the equivalent of 4 stops, and can eliminate blur from low light or longer telephoto shots. This lens also supports the Movie Servo AF function for smooth and quiet continuous autofocus during video shooting by utilizing a stepping motor (STM); it even has Dynamic IS in Movie Shooting Mode to provide the image stabilization needed while recording video when walking. Three aspherical elements reduce optical aberrations, and multi-coatings minimize flare to provide sharp, high quality images.