Capture One Pro 7 from Phase One is professional-grade image editing, RAW file conversion, and tethered capture program that is compatible with a wide array of digital cameras and digital backs. Capture One Pro 7 excels in its ability to produce high quality imagery with exceptional color balance and fine detail with intuitive and efficient control capabilities. This program's other main asset is its means to function as a robust organizational tool that can be used to effectively import, export, and sort imagery as well as modify images' metadata.
As its core objective, Capture One Pro 7 works to garner the highest quality imagery from RAW files and gives superb control and manipulability over the color and appearance of raw imagery. An integrated HDR tool works to gain greater detail in both the shadow and highlight regions of imagery and the Clarity tool functions as a way to enhance colors and minimize haze by affecting the local contrast of an image. A wide variety of tested cameras also feature dedicated camera profiles to help expedite the processing necessary by providing preset adjustments based on the inherent traits of different cameras.
Capture One Pro also functions as a powerful tool for tethered image capture and supports live view monitoring with digital backs as well as Canon and Nikon DSLRs. When working in a tethered configuration, images that are recorded are available for viewing instantly after capture and tagging, rating, and image adjustments can be applied in real time. Wireless viewing, control, and rating is also supported when working with the Capture Pilot app for iOS devices or the web-enabled Capture Pilot program for remote browser-based control on other mobile devices or computers.
This program additionally serves as a highly viable organizational tool for sorting, tagging, rating, and grouping imagery to benefit sharing and outputting processes. Images can be worked on in a variety of customizable workflows and interfaces, including Catalogs, Sessions, and Albums. Each of these means provides their own inherent benefits and can be used interchangeably and together to support an all-encompassing workflow dependent on your specific needs. Images can be worked on when they are housed on the computer in use or on an external drive or networked server. When working with remotely-located imagery, offline editing and sorting can still be performed and changes will be applied to the source images once reconnected.
This version of Capture One Pro features a refined image processing engine to give faster overall performance and rendering capabilities. Cross-platform 64-bit and OpenCL support allow for increased editing and handling speed to make working with imagery a more intuitive and efficient process.
- Processing Engine and RAW Image Conversion
- A newly designed image processing engine is employed and utilizes a refine Bayer Interpolation Method to gain the greatest image quality, detail, and color rendition from RAW files. This processing engine works in close collaboration with specially-designed camera profiles in order to produce consistent results based on individual camera and file types.
- Tailor-Made Camera Profiles
- Each camera supported in Capture One Pro 7 is extensively tested in order to develop dedicated camera profiles to expedite the conversion process from a camera's RAW file type. High quality out-of-the-box results help to reduce the time and effort needed to adjust each individual image.
- High ISO Noise Reduction
- Each supported camera's extensive testing also results in the ability to significantly and intelligently reduce the appearance of image noise without diminishing image quality. Noise reduction can also be controlled manually for individualized results based on certain types of imagery.
- Creative Image Editing Tools
- A wide range of tools are available for modifying and enhancing the quality, color, and detail within imagery. These precision adjustment tools and controls allow you to efficiently and effectively alter the appearance of imagery to suit the desired final results.
Capture and Import
- Instant Tethered Capture
- Full support of tethered shooting is available, allowing you to directly import images into the program in real time. This allows for instant viewing of captured images and a more streamlined method of organizing files and preparing edits for eventual manipulation. Camera exposure settings can be modified remotely and image adjustments and styles can also be applied during capture. Digital backs and Canon and Nikon DSLRs can be plugged directly into the computer to enable close examination of image files while shooting to aid in fine exposure, composition, and lighting adjustments.
- Web-Enabled Capture Pilot
- The Capture Pilot app can be used with iOS devices or the Capture Pilot web-enabled program can be used with a wide variety of other mobile devices and computers to allow for wireless, remote control over essential camera controls. When working with Capture Pilot, you can view, zoom, rate, tag, and pan across high resolution RAW, JPEG, and TIFF image files while shooting. This accessibility enables others to provide instant feedback through rating and tagging and gives an efficient means for off-site participation while working.
- Extensive Camera and Live View Support for DSLRs
Support is available for more than 200 different RAW file formats across a broad range of camera and digital back manufacturers. Dedicated and tested camera profiles are also available to enable the highest performance from an array of different cameras.
Live view is also supported with select DSLRs and all medium format digital backs to provide an enhanced and larger image of the scene being photographed, allowing for easier and more accurate scrutinization over lighting, composition, focus, and exposure.
Organize and Select
- Organize, Find, Compare, and Select Images
- An intuitive interface allows you to import and organize files quickly and easily using an array of tools to sort, find, compare, and select images. Image ratings, color labels, and Smart Albums can be used for organization and the Loupe and Focus tools are ideal for critically examining an image's details and focus.
A Catalog is the primary method used to organize and view files within Capture One Pro 7. Catalogs display all of the information needed to find and display images within the working interface, including metadata and image adjustments. Catalogs can be used to store individual image files, Projects, Smart Albums, and Groups.
Catalogs can be applied to different workflows in a variety of ways to suit different preferences as to how an image library is created and organized. Switching between Catalogs can be done from within the program without having to restart it, saving time and permitting the toggling between a great number of images and file organization systems. An unlimited number of Catalogs can be created and used to better support working with large quantities of files.
When images are hosted on an offline external or network drive, image viewing and adjustable previews are available and Shared Catalogs, virtual organization capabilities, and referenced files, Catalogs, and documents can all be accessed.
- Virtual Organization
- A variety of flexible organizational structures permits you to places images in Albums, Projects, and Groups by dragging and dropping. The benefit to working within these means is that duplicates and copied files are not needed for a file to exist within multiple Albums, Projects, or Groups and they can all be used to display the latest visual adjustments to specific files. Additionally, they can all be used interchangeably and together; i.e. individual files can be placed into projects and then projects can be grouped.
- Offline Browsing
- If working on images within a Catalog that is no longer online or accessible to you, you can still browse and make some image adjustments to files. These changes will be applied to each file once the external or network drive is connected again. When using smaller workstations, such as laptops, there are no storage limitations, allowing you to view and work with Catalogs with vast amounts of image files. Additionally, the Library tool can be used to easily locate files even if files are stored in multiple locations.
- Hi-Speed Caching
- This allows you to view two images together at full resolution with no additional loading or lag time. It is highly useful for close comparisons of similar images and for making final choices and edits of groups of imagery.
- Full and enhanced support for the Sessions-style workflow is available with Capture One Pro 7 and can be used as a highly effective tool for organizing groups of images consisting of RAW files, setting files, library files, and output files. This intuitive system of working is ideal when shooting tethered and dedicated tethered sessions can be made to easily group and index each shoot.
- Library Tool
- Use of the Library tool permits quick access to images within Albums, Smart Albums, and Favorites as well as any image collection stored in folders on a computer or a networked or external source. It is a filtered file explorer that can be used to display any supported file type on any linked location. Browsing is expedited by the use of a hierarchal tree structure and computer performance can be maintained through the ability to work on remote images without importing their source files.
- Catalog Collections and User Collections
- A fixed album structure provides an efficient means for quickly viewing and accessing the last 10 imports and Capture Sessions within any Catalog.
- Smart Albums
- Smart Albums allow you to organize imagery from different groups and albums without having to duplicate files within the same folder. Smart Albums can be automatically populated by files that match the specified criteria based on the project. A selection of automatically created Smart Albums is available by default, and personalized ones can be easily created.
- Manual Sorting
- Imagery can be dragged and dropped from within the Capture One interface in order to give an intuitive and visual means for creating a sequence or specific order. Furthermore, this allows you to control the flow of a slide-show or the layout of images for printing.
- Focus Mask
- The Focus Mask tool can be applied to selected imagery for fast and ensured verification of critical focus and sharpness in imagery. When used, it is applied to all images in the thumbnail browser so it is easy to identify which images have the desired focus. This is ideally suited for situations in which the main subject needs to be tack sharp and, additionally, can be employed during tethered shooting to give instant feedback and monitoring abilities of crucial focus on subjects.
- Variants serve as virtual copies of an image that allow you to perform a series of manipulations to an image without needing to create an additional copy of the original file. This allows for worry-free experimentation with imagery without risking altering the original content of a file.
- Search and Filtering
- A refined advanced search and filtering option helps to quickly find specific images when they have been labeled or categorized. Images can be sourced and organized from any image collection, including Catalogs, Sessions, Albums, or Smart Albums, even when the files are offline. When images are selected, they appear as thumbnails within an image browser. A Filter tool is also available within the Library tab to better support drag-and-drop-style tagging and sorting.
- Metadata Editing
- Capture One's infrastructure enables you to read, update, and modify image metadata from within any section of the program. An intelligent metadata organizational structure helps to auto fill text within different metadata sections for expedited modification of groups of imagery. Additionally, images can be dragged-and-dropped onto keywords, star ratings, and color tags.
- Rating and Tagging
- Rating and color tagging imagery is a quick means for noting specific images for use in eventual edits, Groups, Albums, or Projects. Ratings can be applied from one to five stars and seven color tags can also be applied separately or in combination with ratings for more dimensionality when selecting images. Tags and ratings can also be applied to images by selecting a group of thumbnails and dragging them to the desired star or color tag icon.
- Advanced File Naming
- Customized and token-based naming systems can be created with ease and applied to individual images or large groups of images at once. The system of naming can be created and modified through combining text and tokens and specific naming structures can be saved for applying to future groups of images to ensure consistency over time.
- Focus Tool
- The Focus tool gives an instant and accurate view of an image's sharpness. It can be added to the fixed tool tab or used as a floating window tool for quick access.
- Loupe Tool
- The Loupe tool is a magnifier that allows you to zoom into an image's content from 25% to 400%. It can be used to quickly check focus, sharpness, and close-up details of either a selected image or thumbnail.
Enhance and Adjust
- Noise Reduction
- The default setting of Capture One Pro 7 works to reduce both color and luminance noise from any image regardless of the ISO sensitivity it was taken at. For further enhancement of images, noise levels can be manually adjusted using intuitive slider tools to suit the best combination of low noise and high detail, which becomes increasingly useful with higher ISO imagery. The noise reduction system has been improved compared to previous editions in order to better-suit higher ISO imagery.
- High Dynamic Range
- An improved HDR tool enables even greater detail extraction from the shadow and highlight areas of an image for a longer overall dynamic range. It allows for precise control over the contrast of the shadow regions and the ability to perfect the overall contrast levels of an image to recover blown out highlights and recover dark shadows.
- The Clarity tool works to improve haziness within an image by adjusting local contrast to create a clearer-looking appearance. Negative clarity values can also be adjusted in order to smooth out local contrast, which is ideal for portraiture. The improved Clarity tool gives a choice of controls: Punch, Neutral, and Classic. When using positive values with the Neutral slider, contrast is increased and, in turn, haziness is reduced. A positive value from the Punch slider works to increase contrast and color saturation while also reducing haziness.
- A range of sharpening controls is available to suit the different applications and output forms of an image. The default setting is designed to give images a pleasing on-screen appearance that provides room for further enhancement for other purposes.
- Levels and Curves
- Levels and curves enable precise, exacting control over an image's highlights, mid-tones, and shadow regions. Both methods allow for control over the entire exposure profile of an image; levels can be used to brighten highlights, darken shadows, and adjust the mid-tones, while curves is an ideal choice for affecting an image's overall tonality and contrast while manipulating the brightness of both highlights and shadows.
- Vignetting control allows you to selectively lighten or darken the edges of an image in order to give more prominence to the main aspect of a picture. An intuitive vignette slider allows you to control the amount of this and apply a vignette to cropped version of an image.
- Local Adjustments
A range of non-destructive editing options are available when working with Local Adjustments, which allow you to select and modify specific portions of an image. This provides the ability to perform common retouching jobs and control the color, exposure, contrast, brightness, saturation, sharpness, and moiré in select areas of an image.
An enhanced Gradient Mask can be used to balance the overall exposure of an image by affecting select portions of the image to create an even exposure with images of mixed values. The mask works with raw image data to help ensure that no further exposure adjustments are required in subsequent applications. Additionally, an improved Fill Mask can be used for making selections by simply painting the border of a mask, which is then automatically filled in. An Auto Mask function furthers this ability by seeking out edges and contours within an image and making accurate selections and masks.
Up to 10 different layers can be applied to each image for greater control over refining the look of an image, and due to the improved speed and image processing power, working with more complex, multi-layered images is still supported at an accelerated speed.
- Black and White Conversion
- Precise conversion of a color image to a monochromatic one can be done by adjusting the color channel sliders in order to control the appearance of the resulting greyscale image. No further plug-ins or tools are needed in order to gain extensive control over the contrast and tonality of a black and white image.
- Keystone Correction
- Perspective distortion can be eliminated or reduced with the Keystone Correction tool, which works to correct converging and warped lines. This is especially useful for straightening out vertical lines of a building when shot from a low angle.
- Color Editor
- Subtle color adjustments can be applied to select color spectrums with complete control over hue, saturation, and lightness. A Smart Saturation tool works intelligently to ensure that image tones and colors appear natural and transitions and gradations are smooth.
- Skin Tone Enhancer
- Precision sliders can be used to easily achieve ideal rendition of skin textures and colorings in a consistent manner. The Skin Tone Color tool can also be used with all colors of skin to provide optimal coloring with any model or subject.
- Styles and Presets
- Creative styles and presets can be applied to images in a consistent and efficient manner to modify the appearance of a group of imagery at once. Styles can be used to apply a set of colors or monotone effects, including emulating the look of chemical film and processes, in order to maintain a sense of creative conformity across imagery. Styles can be saved in order to apply to future groups of images and can be modified over time to suit one's changing needs.
- Automatic Lens Correction
- Imagery is automatically corrected for lens anomalies, including distortion and chromatic aberration, by using pre-defined profiles for popular DSLR and medium format lenses. These Additionally, manual control is available to fix a host of typical optical issues such as distortion, light falloff, chromatic aberration, and purple fringing. Correction is also available when using perspective-control lenses by simply entering the amount of shift and tilt used as well as the lens' focal length and aperture into data fields; necessary corrections will then be automatically applied to the image.
- Lens Cast Correction Workflow
- A dedicated Lens Cast Correction (LCC) tool is available and enables the efficient creation of dedicated LCC profiles for several images at once and for applying correction to multiple images at a time. Images that are used to create LCC profiles are also automatically marked with an LCC tag for later reference.
- Spot Removal
- Spot Removal is a fast and effective tool for instantly removing spots, dust, and imperfections from an image. Spot Removal can also be used with multiple images at once for instances where the imperfection is located in the same place on each image.
- White Balance
- White balance can be quickly corrected for by using the auto, built-in white balance control or, alternatively, can be manually altered by using the white balance picker in order to determine a neutral area of an image.
- Global Auto Adjustments
- These automatic adjustments work to correct the exposure, saturation, contrast, white balance, high dynamic range, levels, and rotation of and image. These options are easily accessible within the interface and can be individually selected based on the aspects of an image that need to be modified. Automatic keystone correction is also available for images created with a Phase One IQ-series digital back.
- Adjustments Clipboard
- This function allows you to copy adjustment settings from one image and apply the same changes to other images. Additionally, a subset of the copied changes can be applied to imagery to allow for further modification of images within the batch.
- Compositional tools enable you to crop, rotate, and flip an image either vertically or horizontally in order to control the layout orientation of an image.
- The Overlay tool is a useful resource when photographing for a specific purpose that involves layout details or other design elements that need to be minded. When working with this tool you can drop an image file of the layout being shot for, adjust its opacity, scale, and placement and then compose the image based on the final output format. This is especially useful when photographing for publications that incorporate text over an image.
Export and Print
- Exporter and Image Output
- A refined exporter tool allows for the output of image files in a wide variety of image formats, including JPEG 2000, JPEG XR, PNG, and single-layer PSD file types. Instant access to export dialog provides convenient exporting of images within a single format type. Additionally you can deliver imagery in any size or resolution desired as well as export images in multiple formats, sizes, and resolutions at the same time. When exporting files, a copy of the original file will be created with all of the specified adjustments so the original RAW file remains untouched.
- Web Gallery and Web Contact Sheet
- Web-based galleries and contact sheets can be created automatically and easily for simplified sharing of imagery to a personal website.
- Slideshow creation is quick and intuitive and permits the combination of both still images and video files and also allows for the incorporation of fades and transition effects in between image slides.
- Customized print layouts can be created in order to suit different margin sizes and aspect ratios of various paper types and borders can be added in different widths and sizes. Watermarks and image metadata can be added to the print template and additionally printing can be set up using a color-managed print engine to help ensure true color printing rendition.
- Enhanced Image Package
- The Enhanced Image Package (.EIP) is a convenient way of packaging a RAW master file and applied adjustments together for easier sharing between workstations and users. When the .EIP file is opened on any workstation the updated version will be available in order to maintain consistency between users.
- Soft Proofing and CMYK Support
- Image files can be output to any RGB or CMYK color space in order to ensure the most consistency when preparing files for printing.
- Optimized Interface and Workflow
- The interface has been refined and simplified to provide easy access to the most oft-used tools and commands of the program. Design of and implementation of a workflow is unconfined, allowing you to tailor Capture One Pro 7 to your specific needs.
- Workspaces, Tools, and Tool Tabs
The customizable interface design permits the addition and placement of specific tools within a personal workspace. By customizing which and where Tools and Tool Tabs are within your workspace, greater efficiency is possible. Different workspaces can be configured and applied to individual jobs, allowing you to switch between presets based on the job at hand.
A selection of default workspaces are provided and revolve around simple design schemes to reduce clutter and improve productivity. Default workspaces from previous versions of Capture One Pro 4, 5, and 6 can also be selected to provide familiar continuity.
- Accelerated Editing and Processing
Accelerated editing tasks are fueled by the ability to utilize a vast number of gigaFLOPS as provided by your individual graphics processor for highly efficient and powerful performance. OpenCL support allows full use of your computer's graphics card and JPEG, TIFF, and RAW image editing can be done in an expedient manner with cross-platform 64-bit support for use with improved memory handling characteristics on the newest Mac and Windows operating systems.
The improved design of Capture One Pro 7 allows for faster rendering of thumbnails and full-size images than in previous versions. Switching between images has also been sped up for a more continuous, natural method of working.
- Retina Display Optimization
- Full compatibility and support for the latest generation of high-resolution Retina displays.
- Full-Screen and Multi-Monitor Support
- Full-screen, unobstructed viewing of image files is supported for easier side-by-side image comparison and a less disruptive means for working with images. Furthermore, multiple monitors can also be used to allow for even more working and presentation room.
- Browser Filmstrip
- A filmstrip view provides an efficient means for working in combination with the viewer to scroll through groups of imagery and for comparing images side-by-side.
- Default ICC Profile Settings
- Creation of custom ICC profiles is possible and can be utilized as the default color space for specific cameras. Once a specific profile has been created, the settings are saved and this created calibration is automatically employed once the specific camera is plugged into the computer.
- Language Support
- English, German, French, Chinese (simplified), Russian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Spanish, and Swedish.
Supported Camera Models
- 1D X, 1Ds Mark III, 1Ds Mark II, 1Ds, 1D Mark IV, 1D Mark III, 1D Mark II N, 1D Mark II, 1D, 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, 5D, 6D, 7D, 60D, 50D, 40D, 30D, 20D, 10D, 650D Rebel T4i, 600D Rebel T3i, 550D Rebel T2i, 500D Rebel T1i, 450D Rebel XSi, 400D Rebel XTi, 350D Rebel XT, 300D Rebel, 1100D, 1000D, EOS M, G15, G1X, G12, G11, G10, G9, G6, G5, G3, G2, S110, S95, S90, D60, D30, Pro 1
- R-D1, R-D1s
- X-Pro 1, X-E1, XF1, X100S, X100, X-S1, X20, S2 Pro, S3 Pro, S5 Pro
- Konica Minolta
- A1, A2, Alpha Maxxum Dynax 5D, Alpha Maxxum Dynax, 7D
- M (Typ 240), M-E (Typ 220), M Monochrom, M9, M8. X1, D-Lux 6, D-Lux 5, D-Lux 4, D-Lux 3
- Mamiya Leaf
- Credo 80, Credo 60, Credo 40, Aptus-II 12R, Aptus-II 12, Aptus-II 10R, Aptus-II 10, Aptus-II 8, Aptus-II 7, Aptus-II 6, Aptus-II 5, AFi-II 12, AFi-II 10, AFi-II 7, AFi-II 6, AFi 7, AFi 6, AFi 5, Aptus 75S, Aptus 75, Aptus 65S, Aptus 65, Aptus 54S, Aptus 22, Aptus 17, DM56, DM40, DM33, DM28, DM22, ZD Back, MZD, M31, M22, M18
- D4, D3X, D3s, D3, D2Xs, D2X, D2Hs, D2H, D1X, D1H, D800E, D800, D700, D300s, D300, D200, D100, D600, D7100, D7000, D90, D80, D70s, D70, D60, D50, D40X, D40, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3200, D3100, D3000, J2, J1, V1, P7100, P6000, P700
- OM-D E-M5, E-P3, E-P2, E-P1, E-PL5, E-PL3, E-PL2, E-PL1, E-PM2, XZ-2, XZ-1, XZ-10, E-1, E-10, E-20, E-3, E-30, E-300, E-330, E-400, E-410, E-420, E-450, E-500, E-510, E-520, E-620, C-8080, C-7070
- DMC-FZ100, DMC-FZ45, DMC-G1, DMC-G10, DMC-G2, DMC-G3, DMC-G5, DMC-GF1, DMC-GF2, DMC-GF3, DMC-GF5, DMC-GH1, DMC-GH2, DMC-GH3, DMC-GX1, DMC-LX3, DMC-LX5
- MX-1, istD, istDL, istDL2, istDS, istDS2, K100D, K100D Super, K10D, K110D, K2000/K-m, K200D, K20D, K-5 IIs, K-5 II, K-30, K5, K7, K-01, KM, KR, KX, Q
- Phase One
- IQ280, IQ260, IQ260 Achromatic, IQ180, IQ160, IQ140, Achromatic+, P 65+, P 45+, P 45, P 40+, P 30+, P 30, P 25+, P 25, P 21+, P 21, P 20+, P 20, H 25, H 20, H 101, H 10, H 5, LightPhase
- GRD IV, GXR A12, GXR X10
- EX2F, NX20, NX11, NX10, NX210, NX200, NX100, NX5, NX1000
- SLT-A99, SLT-A77, SLT-A65, SLT-A57, SLT-A55, SLT-A33, DSLR-A900, DSLR-A850, DSLR-A700, DSLR-A550, DSLR-A500, DSLR-A380, DSLR-A350, DSLR-A330, DSLR-A300, DSLR-A230, DSLR-A200, DSLR-A100, NEX-7, NEX-6, NEX-5R, NEX-5N, NEX-5, NEX-F3, NEX-C3, NEX-3, DSC-RX1, DSC-RX100, DSC-R1