The Scarlett 18i20 from Focusrite is a multi-channel USB-based audio interface that features eight of the company's microphone preamplifiers, and is designed specifically for use in a computer environment. The microphone preamps deliver excellent headroom and dynamic range with low noise and minimal distortion. The two front-panel inputs also offer 10 dB pads for handling high level inputs without distortion.
The interface features eight analog input and outputs, with the remaining I/Os of the eighteen inputs and twenty outputs being handled via digital. The analog inputs can be accessed via six Combo XLR/TRS microphone/line connectors, while the two front panel Combo inputs add instrument inputs and the 10dB pads. Ten analog line outputs, which include two independent headphone outputs on the front panel, take care of the analog output, while ADAT and S/PDIF digital I/O, plus MIDI I/O and Wordclock out for digital synchronization extend the functionality of the unit.
The ADAT interface can be used to bring in digital sources, or to add extra preamps for situations that require recording a complete band. The included Scarlett MixControl software delivers a low-latency 18 x 16 DSP mixer with powerful routing and monitoring capabilities. Additionally, the unit ships with a comprehensive set of software tools, including a DAW, a plug-in pack, a virtual instrument and 1GB sample library, suitable for using on Windows, Mac, and even iOS platforms. iOS functionality requires the separate purchase of Apple's Camera Connection Kit.
- Eighteen input, twenty output USB 2.0 interface
- Up to 24-bit/96kHz operation
- Eight Focusrite preamps
- Dual independent headphone buses can provide two independent, fully-customized monitor mixes, each with an independent front-panel level control
- S/PDIF and ADAT input and output with four channels of ADAT Lightpipe available via SMUX 2
- MIDI I/O
- Scarlett MixControl low-latency DSP mixer/router for flexible and intuitive one-click set-up solutions - provides an 18 x 16 DSP mixer with comprehensive routing and monitoring options
- Route any input signal or DAW output, or a mix of both to any output
- Includes Ableton Live Lite production and performance software, Scarlett Plug-in Suite (EQ, compression, gating, reverb), Novation Bass Station software model of the Novation analog mono-synthesizer, and 1GB of Loopmasters samples
- Compatible with Mac, Windows and iOS