The DR-60D from Tascam is a professional linear PCM recorder that allows you to capture up to four simultaneous channels of audio and store your recordings to SD or SDHC memory cards. Designed for recording high-quality audio for DSLR video applications, the DR-60D mounts to a tripod and allows you to screw your DSLR camera into the top of the recorder.
The DR-60D is capable of recording at 44.1, 48 and 96 kHz sample rates and at bit depths of 16- and 24-bit. Channels 1 and 2 are equipped with XLR/TRS combo jacks that can accept either mic or line level signals. These inputs can be used to connect microphones, audio playback devices and other gear. Each of the combo jack inputs are capable of supplying either 24V or 48V phantom power and each can be set independently of one another. They are also each equipped with peak indicator lights for monitoring your input levels as you record, as well as with discrete microphone preamps for independent gain control over microphones connected to these inputs.
In addition, the DR-60D is equipped with a 3.5mm stereo input that feeds into channels 3 and 4. It can be used to connect gear such as stereo microphones or external stereo audio equipment that terminates using a 3.5mm mini plug. It is capable of supplying plug-in power to video mics and other high output mics that require it. The 3.5mm input is equipped with one gain control knob that controls the input level to both channels 3 and 4 and it also has a peak indicator light.
Beyond these features, the DR-60D offers a variety of other functions that lend themselves to improved efficiency and convenience. Operating on four AA batteries, the DR-60D can record for up to 5 hours using Ni-MH batteries. Battery life can be extended to 12 hours by adding the optional BP-6AA battery pack. Also, the unit can be powered by a computer via the USB port. This can be useful to conserve battery life while transferring recordings off an SD card to your computer's hard drive. The DR-60D also features auto tone and slate tone functions to help you synchronize your recordings to video during editing. Auto tones can be added to the beginning and ending of the recording and a button can be pressed to add a slate tone to the audio at any time. These tones are also output to the 3.5mm camera out jack so they can be recorded to your DSLR camera's audio recorder for timing reference.
- Dual "safety track" record mode automatically provide a back-up safety track in case the initial levels where set too high and clips were encountered. The safety track can be set to record at -6dB to -12dB lower than the initial take
- Preamp gain and other important features can be easily accessed by physical controls on the front panel, instead of by hard-to-navigate, software-style menus
- Limiter, high-pass filter (40/80/120Hz) and delay functions on each channel
- Records 4 external inputs in two pairs as two stereo audio files
- Tripod mounting threads on bottom of recorder and DSLR screw attachment that allows attachment and removal with a coin
- Remote jack for use with optional RC-10 wired remote or RC-3F footswitch
- Pre-recording function allows unit to record two seconds of sound prior to recording actually being activated
- Hold switch to prevent accidental adjustments
- Handles on both sides and can attach to a shoulder belt
- Camera in jack for monitoring DSLR recorder output
- Mid-side decoding