The DSC-QX100 Digital Camera Module for Smartphones from Sony is an innovative camera that combines DSLR-like image quality with the ever-present convenience and sharing capability of the smartphone. With a 20.2MP 1.0" Exmor R Backside-Illuminated CMOS sensor and the BIONZ image processor, the QX100 creates sharp, high-resolution images with effective low light capabilities at ISO sensitivities that run to 12800 and are expandable to 25600.
What is original about the QX100 is its form factor. It looks less like a camera and more like just a lens. However, despite the fact that it has no viewfinder or LCD, it is indeed a camera. Its innovation is that it can be clipped directly to almost any smartphone and via its built-in Wi-Fi connection, utilize the phone's large display screen for composition and playback viewing and touch menu control. It can also be used off the smartphone, either handheld or mounted utilizing its integrated tripod thread.
The lens of the QX100 is the 3.6x optical zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* f/1.8 lens which has the 35mm format equivalence of a 28-100mm lens. Its focal range includes wide-angle to portrait length telephoto and its maximum aperture at the wide-angle end is effective in low light and able to create a shallow depth of field. Four aspherical lens elements minimize aberrations for clear and color-accurate images. Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization reduces the effects of camera shake as well, so shots taken with slower shutter speeds will be free from blur. Single shot autofocus, manual focus and Touch autofocus from your smartphone are all supported.
The built-in Wi-Fi of the QX100 connects to your iOS or Android smartphone and once the Wi-Fi connection is established and the free PlayMemories Mobile App is installed, your phone will act as viewer and menu control for the camera. With Android smartphones, NFC (Near Field Communication) enables a Wi-Fi connection with just a simple tap between the phone and camera. Furthermore, with the Wi-Fi connection enabled, you can use your smartphone as a remote control and shoot with the camera detached from the smartphone. Also, thanks to a physical zoom lever and shutter button on the camera, you are able to shoot without a smartphone and view your images later. Images are saved to both the camera's memory and the smartphone's memory. The camera can utilize Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro Mark II and microSD and microSDHC cards for image storage.
HD 1080p at 30 fps in the MP4 format is supported by the QX100 for quality video capture and a built-in stereo microphone records audio. Also, the camera offers numerous assistive features such as Intelligent Auto, Superior Auto and Face Detection, it even provides Aperture Priority exposure control. There are 44 scene modes in Superior Auto and 33 in Intelligent Auto to enable the camera match your scene with one of the numerous programmed scenes and automatically adjust the settings to create a well-balanced and accurate photo.
Your smartphone gives you access to countless apps for editing and sharing your photos so thanks to the QX100, you will have high quality photos already stored in your smartphone ready to share to social media sites.
- Attach to Smartphone
- Use the included adjustable, spring-loaded clip to attach the QX100 to your smartphone and turn your smartphone into a DSLR-like, high-resolution camera with optical zoom lens.
- The DSC-QX100 features a backside-illuminated 20.2MP 1.0" Exmor R CMOS sensor to produce professional-quality images that far surpass those captured by any smartphone. The sensor is exceptionally sensitive, producing images with less noise even in low light situations.
- Wi-Fi Connectivity with NFC
- The DSC-QX100 allows easy connection with smartphones via Wi-Fi. Shoot from your iOS or Android smartphones and record images with the quality of a dedicated camera. Furthermore, all of the camera's features can be accessed via your smartphone's display screen thanks to the free PlayMemories Mobile App. And thanks to NFC (Near Field Communication), Android enabled devices can establish a Wi-Fi connection with a simple tap of the camera to phone.
- Images are conveniently saved to both the camera and smartphone's memory automatically. With the PlayMemories Mobile App you'll then be able to hit "share" on the App to organize, edit and share. The QX100 utilizes microSD and microSDHC memory cards as well as the Memory Stick Micro and Memory Stick Micro Mark 2.
- Shoot Uncoupled
- The DSC-QX100 can also be used uncoupled from your smartphone. Hold the camera in one hand and your phone in the other, or use the universal tripod screw thread to mount your camera to any number of mounts. Zoom and shutter can be controlled from your smartphone or from a zoom lever and button on the camera body.
- With a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 3.6x optical zoom lens with f/1.8-4.9 maximum aperture and the 35mm focal length equivalence of 28-100mm, the QX100 creates sharp, high-resolution images. The fast f/1.8 maximum aperture at the wide end is effective in low light and helps to achieve beautiful background and foreground defocusing.
- HD Video Capture
- Record high quality 1080/30p HD video even in low light situations. The MP4 format is ideal for enjoying and sharing your HD movies on your smartphone, computer or over the internet. A built-in stereo microphone is supported.
- Image Stabilization
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization helps to control blur caused by camera shake which will give you clearer images especially when shooting in low light or at the telephoto end of the zoom. In video mode, Active Mode optical image stabilization with electronic compensation reduces the shake and blur caused by shooting video while walking.
- Exposure Control
- The QX100 provides several exposure modes to match the experience and needs of the user. Several auto modes provide ease of use including Face Detection and Scene Modes which adjust the camera's settings based on pre-selected scenes stored in-camera. Aperture-priority exposure allows for more direct and creative control of your camera's settings.
- Control Camera from Smartphone
- From the large LCD, OLED or AMOLED display of your smartphone you can intuitively control zoom, aperture, exposure, white balance, focusing and more with the free PlayMemories Mobile App.
- Numerous smartphone apps are available for editing and sharing via text, email and various social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.