The black DSC-QX10 Digital Camera Module for Smartphones from Sony is an innovative camera that combines the image quality of a 10x zoom lens and 1/2.3" Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor with the ever-present convenience and sharing capability of the smartphone.
What is original about the QX10 is its form factor. It looks less like a camera and more like just a lens. However, despite the fact that it has no viewfinder or LCD, it is indeed a camera. Its innovation is that it can be clipped directly to almost any smartphone and via its built-in Wi-Fi connection, utilize the phone's large display screen for composition, playback and touch menu control including touch autofocus. It can also be used uncoupled from the smartphone, either handheld or mounted using its integrated tripod thread.
With the 18.2MP CMOS sensor and BIONZ image processor, the QX10 creates high-resolution images and ISO sensitivities that expand to 12800 and SteadyShot optical image stabilization provide effective low light capture. The lens on the QX10 is a Sony G 10x optical zoom lens with the 35mm focal length equivalent of 25-250mm. This provides a very versatile focal length range that incorporates true wide angle to long telephoto capability.
The built-in Wi-Fi of the QX10 connects to your iOS or Android smartphone and once the Wi-Fi connection is established and the free PlayMemories Mobile App is installed, your phone will act as viewer and menu control for the camera. With Android smartphones, NFC (Near Field Communication) enables a Wi-Fi connection with just a simple tap between the phone and camera. Furthermore, with the Wi-Fi connection enabled, you can use your smartphone as a remote control and shoot with the camera detached from the smartphone. In addition, a zoom lever and shutter button on the camera enable you to shoot without a smartphone at all and view your images later. Images will be saved to both the camera's memory and the smartphone's memory. The camera can utilize Memory Stick Micro, Memory Stick Micro Mark II and microSD and microSDHC memory cards for image storage.
HD 1080p at 30 fps in the MP4 format is supported by the QX10 for quality video capture and a built-in stereo microphone records audio. Also, the camera offers numerous assistive features such as Intelligent Auto, Superior Auto and Face Detection. There are 44 scene modes in Superior Auto and 33 in Intelligent Auto to enable the camera to match your shot with one of the numerous stored scenes and automatically adjust the settings to create a well-balanced and color-accurate photo.
Your smartphone gives you access to countless apps for editing and sharing your photos so, thanks to the QX10, you will have high quality photos stored directly to your smartphone, sharing to social media sites is easy.
- Attach to your Smartphone
- Use the included adjustable, spring-loaded bracket to attach the QX10 to your smartphone and turn your smartphone into a 10x optical zoom camera with 18.2MP CMOS sensor.
- The DSC-QX10 features a back side-illuminated 18.2MP 1/2.3" Exmor R CMOS sensor producing low noise images even in low light, far surpassing the quality of images shot by smartphones.
- Wi-Fi with NFC
- The DSC-QX10 allows easy connection with smartphones via Wi-Fi. Shoot from your iOS or Android smartphones and record images with the quality of a dedicated camera. Furthermore, all of the camera's features can be accessed via your smartphone's display screen thanks to the free PlayMemories Mobile App. And thanks to NFC (Near Field Communication), Android enabled devices can establish a Wi-Fi connection with a simple tap of the camera to phone.
- Images are conveniently saved to both the camera and smartphone's memory automatically. With the PlayMemories Mobile App you'll then be able to hit "share" on the App to organize, edit and share. The QX10 utilizes microSD, microSDHC memory cards as well as the Memory Stick Micro and Memory Stick Micro Mark 2.
- Shoot Uncoupled
- The DSC-QX10 can also be used uncoupled from your smartphone. Hold the camera in one hand and your phone in the other, or use the universal tripod screw thread to mount your camera to any number of mounts to experience versatile, stable shooting. A zoom lever and shutter release button are located on the camera and can be utilized to adjust focal lengths and shoot the camera whether it is linked to the smartphone or shooting uncoupled.
- 10x Optical Zoom Lens
- With a Sony G 10x optical zoom lens with f/3.3-5.9 maximum aperture and the 35mm focal length equivalence of 25-250mm, the QX10 creates sharp, high-resolution images. The versatile zoom lens enables a range of focal lengths from wide-angle to telephoto and will incorporate most any shooting situation. Zoom function is operated either from the smartphone's display or with an on-camera lever.
- HD 1080p Video Capture
- Record high quality 1080/30p HD video even in low light situations. The MP4 format is ideal for enjoying and sharing your HD movies on your smartphone, computer or over the internet.
- Image Stabilization
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization helps to control blur caused by camera shake which will give you clearer images especially when shooting in low light or at the telephoto end of the zoom. Active Mode SteadyShot stabilization controls the effects of camera shake when shooting video.
- Camera Control
- From the large LCD, OLED or AMOLED display of your smartphone you can intuitively control zoom, aperture, exposure, white balance, focusing and more with the free PlayMemories Mobile App.
- Intelligent Auto
- The DSC-QX10 can recognize scenes like low-light, back-lit, macro and more to automatically adjust the camera making sure you will always get balanced, properly exposed photos. Numerous scene modes will best adjust the camera's settings to match the pre-selected scene to the image you are shooting.
- Numerous smartphone apps are available for editing and sharing via text, email and various social media sites like Facebook and Instagram.