The Samsung Galaxy NX Mirrorless Digital Camera features a 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor and DRIMe IV image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video at 30 fps with notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 25600. Samsung's interchangeable lens system allows this mirrorless camera to be paired with any lens in the NX lineup. This unique camera runs on the Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system and has Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, and 3G/4G LTE mobile connectivity—providing photographers with a wide range of image sharing options.
The Android operating system provides a familiar interface for navigating system menus and camera functions, as well as putting a host of downloadable apps at your fingertips. Additionally, photos and videos can be automatically backed up using cloud storage. For further personalization, the Camera Studio widget helps to integrate camera functions with downloaded apps and allows the Galaxy NX's capture modes and edit settings to be customized.
Complementing the range of options for mobile connectivity, the Galaxy NX camera is equipped with a pop-up flash and integrated GPS, as well as a 0.46" electronic viewfinder and a 4.8" TFT-LCD touchscreen. The camera's Advanced Hybrid Autofocus system combines phase detection AF and contrast AF technologies to create a system capable of capturing images with impressive focus accuracy and almost no shutter lag.
Included with the camera body is the Samsung NX-mount 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27.7-84.7mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. The OIS image stabilization system helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake and the inclusion of iFunction control enables lens-based adjustments of some of the most oft-used camera settings.
Image Quality and Performance
- 20.3MP APS-C CMOS Image Sensor
- A large 20.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS image sensor and DRIMe IV image processor work together to produce high resolution imagery and full HD 1080p video at 30 fps with impressive low-light quality and sensitivity to ISO 25600. The size of the sensor also helps to produce images with reduced noise and clarity as well as promoting greater control over depth of field and selective focus placement. The DRIMe IV image processor also affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including a continuous shooting rate up to 8.6 fps and a top shutter speed of 1/6000th of a second.
- Hybrid Autofocus System
- The Advanced Hybrid Autofocus system utilizes both phase- and contrast-detection focusing methods to acquire focus quickly and precisely. The phase-detection method is ideal for gaining focus in an expedited manner while contrast-detection is employed to fine-tune the focus for critical applications. When combined, focusing is sharp and leads to making photos in a natural and intuitive manner.
- Samsung NX Lens Mount
- A broad array NX-mount of lenses are available for use, ranging from wide-angle primes to long-reaching zooms. The ability to change and utilize different lenses depending on the situation at hand aids in producing captivating and more dynamic imagery. Additionally, the Galaxy NX is compatible with the unique 45mm f/1.8 2D/3D lens that enables one-lens creation of true 3D photos and movies.
- Samsung 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Lens
- Included with the camera body is the standard zoom 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens, which provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27.7-84.7mm. This wide-angle to telephoto perspective range is well-suited to everyday shooting and the inclusion of OIS image stabilization benefits working in low-light conditions and with greater zoom magnifications. One aspherical element is also incorporated into the lens construction to minimize chromatic aberrations and contribute to higher image quality. The lens supports iFunction control, which enables lens-based adjustment of many common camera settings, including shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and more by simply pressing the button and rotating the control ring; allowing you to keep your eye to the viewfinder while adjusting an array of settings.
- Wi-Fi and 3G/4G LTE Connectivity
- In addition to Wi-Fi connectivity, the Galaxy NX also integrates 3G/4G LTE support to enable sharing of imagery from nearly anywhere at any time. This ability allows uploading of files to social networking sites, emailing photos to friends, or backing up images on cloud-based storage sites. Additionally, Android apps can be downloaded directly to the camera to enables a wide range of in-camera editing and presentation solutions.
- Photo Suggest
- The Photo Suggest function can instantly connect you to wide-ranging libraries of images taken by other photographers in your current location. This allows for direct, real time reference of other images and helps to provide suggestions as to how to photograph a specific scene.
- Story Album
- The Story Album function helps to create, display, and print photo albums of groups of imagery from within the camera. This tool will automatically organize photos into timelines and will then reframe and resize images in order to produce digital photo books for sharing and viewing online.
Intuitive and Familiar Operation
- Android 4.2 Jelly Bean
- The Galaxy NX utilizes the familiar and powerful Android 4.2 Jelly Bean operating system to create an efficient and easy-to-navigate user-interface for controlling camera functions and for seamless sharing of imagery. Access to a wide network of Android apps is available for personalized fine-tuning of files and a multitude of options for output and sending.
- Camera Studio
- The Camera Studio widget helps to customize camera settings for creating, editing, and presenting photos in a unique and simple manner. You can save and easily access your favorite shooting modes and employ helpful tools such as the location-based apps like Photo Suggest, TourWrist, and TripAdvisor; presentation-based Gallery and Story Album tools; and photo and video editing apps such as Video Maker and Paper Artist. Additionally, Dropbox can be used as a functional means for storing and sharing imagery with a wide audience.
- Smart Mode
The Smart Mode button provides access to a host of automatic, intelligent camera settings that can be employed to help optimize your imagery in any setting:
- Drama Shot merges continuous shots of moving objects into a single composed frame.
- Action Freeze works to ensure still and clear rendering of fast-moving subjects.
- Light Trace allows for creative long exposures to be made in which the subject can produce creative effects with light.
- Multi Exposure automatically composites two images into a single blended frame.
- Sound & Shot enables the attachment of recorded sound along with a still image for creative, multi-media results.