The Nikon COOLPIX P7800 Digital Camera is an advanced compact point-and-shoot featuring a 12.2 megapixel 1/1.7" backside-illuminated CMOS sensor and EXPEED C2 image processor to produce high resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video recording at either 25 or 30 fps. The backside-illuminated sensor design enables impressive low-light performance, with a maximum native sensitivity of ISO 1600, for enhanced low-light shooting with reduced noise. The image processor contributes to producing a maximum full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 8 fps and also supports RAW shooting in the NRW format for greater post-production control over imagery.
The built-in 7.1x optical Zoom NIKKOR ED glass lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 28-200mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. An f/2-4 maximum aperture benefits working in dim conditions and for greater control over selective focus. Also benefitting control over focus, and how movement is depicted, a built-in 3-stop neutral density filter can be utilized to provide enhanced control over exposure settings. Lens-shift type VR image stabilization is incorporated into the camera, too, to help minimize the appearance of camera shake in order to produce sharper imagery when working with greater zoom magnifications and in difficult lighting conditions.
For live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation, both a rear LCD monitor and electronic viewfinder are available for bright, clear viewing. The EVF features a 921k-dot resolution and is especially beneficial for accurate monitoring in bright conditions while the 3.0" 921k-dot vari-angle LCD features a tilting design to better support working from both high and low angles. A hot shoe and dedicated accessory port are both integrated into the P7800's design to facilitate the use of a wide range of accessories, including external Speedlights, the GP-1A GPS Unit, or the WU-1a Wireless Adapter. Additionally, the magnesium alloy covered body employs a highly intuitive, DSLR-like interface design for greater handling capabilities in regard to efficient camera control.
- 12.2MP BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED C2 Image Processor
- A 12.2 megapixel back side illuminated 1/1.7" CMOS sensor and EXPEED C2 image processor work together to deliver high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080p video with notable low-light quality and a native sensitivity range of ISO 80-1600, which is further expandable to ISO 6400. The processor also affords a fast full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 8 fps for up to six consecutive frames.
- Zoom NIKKOR ED Glass Lens
- The built-in 7.1x optical Zoom NIKKOR ED glass lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 28-200mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives to suit working in a wide variety of conditions. Two extra-low dispersion elements are integrated into the optical design to reduce chromatic aberrations and improve clarity, sharpness, and contrast and the f/2-4 maximum aperture, and 7-blade rounded diaphragm, benefits working in low-light conditions as well as providing greater control over the plane of focus at both ends of the zoom range. Lens-shift type VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization works to minimize the appearance of camera shake, which further enhances image sharpness when working in dim conditions or with greater zoom magnifications. Additionally, an internal 0.9 (3 stop) neutral density filter allows for greater control over movement and focus within the image.
- Camera Design
Within the compact form-factor of the P7800 is both a high-resolution electronic viewfinder and large LCD monitor. The 921k-dot EVF provides a bright, clear means, with 100% frame coverage, for eye-level finding that is ideally suited to use in difficult lighting conditions. Equally adept for critical viewing, the 3.0" 921k-dot vari-angle LCD monitor can swivel up to 180° to the side and tilt 270° forward/backward to benefit working from both high and low angles. It also utilizes an RGBW design to improve overall brightness to better support its use in daylight conditions.
The intuitive design also integrates a range of physical controls to mimic the handling capabilities of a DSLR. A manual exposure compensation dial, quick menu button, and variety of function buttons enable more efficient control over the most oft-used camera settings. A hot shoe is also incorporated into the design for utilizing external flashes or, alternatively, a built-in pop-up flash is available and can be used as a commander within the Nikon Creative Lighting System for control over external, off-camera Speedlights. An accessory terminal can be used to connect a variety of different accessories, including the WU-1a Wireless Adapter as well as the GP-1A GPS Unit or ML-L3 Remote Control. A magnesium alloy body cover enhances the durability of the camera and the lens features a threaded 40.5mm filter ring diameter to accept the use of additional screw-in type filters.
- Full HD Movie Recording
- Full HD 1080p video recording is supported in both 25 and 30 fps frame rates with both manual and aperture-priority exposure control capabilities. The built-in ND filter greatly benefits exposure control when recording movies and the dedicated movie button allows for instant switching between still and video modes. A built-in stereo microphone can be used to record sound or, alternatively, an external microphone jack is integrated into the design to support usage of an optional mic for higher quality sound with recordings. Voice memos can be recorded, too, in addition to the sound with movies for dictating notes during shooting. AV stereo, USB, and HDMI ports are all available to support a range of methods for sharing video files.
- Other Camera Features
- Full manual exposure control is possible, in Programmed Auto, Shutter Speed Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual modes, for refined control over how both stills and movies look.
- RAW file recording produces uncompressed NRW files that enable greater editing control in regard to exposure and color during post-production.
- Scene Auto Selector intelligently determines the type of scene you are photographing in and automatically adjusts the exposure settings to help in accurately depicting the situation at hand.
- In-camera image editing modes are available to help creatively enhance the look of imagery after shooting: Black Border, Copy, Crop, D-Lighting, Filter Effects, NRW (Raw) Processing, Quick retouch, Red eye reduction, Skin softening, Small Picture, Straighten
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese (European and Brazilian), Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, and Ukrainian.