The white 32GB Galaxy Note 10.1" Tablet from Samsung improves on the design of its predecessor. The chrome bezel has been removed to give the Galaxy Note 10.1 a more streamlined look. The removal of the chrome bezel also makes the Galaxy Note 10.1 narrower and slimmer. The glossy plastic back from the previous Galaxy Note has also been replaced with the polycarbonate "leather-like" texture, similar to the back cover of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone. While the glossy plastic back of the previous version was a fingerprint magnet, the polycarbonate back of the Galaxy Note 10.1 not only masks fingerprints, but also provides a more reliable grip when holding it.
The most notable improvement of the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition is the screen. Samsung managed to squeeze a 2560 x 1600 native resolution into the 10.1" screen of the Galaxy Note. That's 299 pixels per inch (ppi), which results in sharper text and vibrant colors. The WQXGA TFT screen with a 16:10 aspect ratio isn't just for show either. It's also a capacitive touchscreen that supports multi-touch gestures incorporated into Android.
Samsung also improved the S-Pen functionality. The S-Pen now has metal ridges that make it easier to pull it out of its slot on the Galaxy Note 10.1. When you remove the S-Pen from its holster, the Galaxy Note 10.1 will detect it and pull up an Air Command menu. Borrowing from the S-Pen improvements found on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 smartphone, the S-Pen can now use Air View, which allows you to hover over images or words and even click a button on the S-Pen to access a menu for additional options. This expands on the S-Pen's functionality and usefulness.
The Galaxy Note 10.1 also comes with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system installed. However, the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system is customized by Samsung, adding their TouchWiz software to it. While this means that the icons, notifications and app menus may differ from the original Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system, Samsung's version also adds a full suite of Samsung exclusive features, such as S Voice, Samsung's App Store, S Translator and more. My Magazine, a collaboration between Flipboard and Samsung, aggregates your social media networks, news outlets and entertainment interests into one easy-to-use interface. Simply swipe up from the bottom of the home screen to access it.
The system is powered by an Exynos 5420 octa-core chipset. The Exynos 5420 octa-core chipset is actually comprised of dual quad-core processors, which are the 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 quad-core processor and the 1.3GHz Cortex-A7 quad-core processor. The 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 is used for CPU-intensive apps while the 1.3GHz Cortex-A7 kicks in for casual use, such as checking email or web surfing. Unfortunately, both processors can't be used at the same time. The Galaxy Note 10.1 also has 3GB of RAM, 32GB of flash storage, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi support, Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity, a 2.0-megapixel front camera, an 8.0-megapixel rear camera and a micro-USB 2.0 port that also doubles as a universal charging port.
- WQXGA TFT 10.1" Capacitive Touchscreen
- The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 has an enormous 2560 x 1600 native resolution on a 10.1" screen for 299 pixels per inch (ppi). The screen also has a 16:10 aspect ratio and supports multi-touch gestures incorporated into Samsung's interface and the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system
- Android 4.3 Jelly Bean OS
- With the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean operating system and Samsung TouchWiz interface, the Galaxy Note 10.1 provides a unique Android experience with Google Play and Samsung Hub access
- Enhanced S-Pen Functionality
- The S-Pen on the Galaxy Note 10.1 allows you to utilize Samsung's handwriting-to-text engine, which automatically converts your notes to text. You can also hover over images or words with the S-Pen and access the Air Command menu, which gives you quick access to helpful options, such as print, copy and share
- Exynos Octa-Core Chipset
- The Exynos 5420 octa-core chipset is actually comprised of dual quad-core processors, which are the 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 quad-core processor and the 1.3GHz Cortex-A7 quad-core processor. The 1.9GHz Cortex-A15 is used for CPU-intensive apps while the 1.3GHz Cortex-A7 kicks in for casual use, such as checking email or web surfing. Note that the processors cannot work together; they can only be used one at a time
- Samsung Multi Window
- Make the most out of the big screen with Samsung's Multi Window feature. Multi Window gives you the power to use multiple apps side by side, or drag content from one app to the other. You can even open the same app in both windows. This is especially useful when you're referencing two different websites or writing two emails at the same time
- Samsung Hub
- Video Hub is your personal video store concierge with over 1000 titles and counting. Plus, there's virtually no wait time during progressive downloads, which means you can enjoy video content right away. The Readers Hub lets you delve into the intimate pleasures of digital reading with a wealth of e-books on your own personal screen. For your best convenience and satisfaction, Music Hub provides a full music store loaded with your favorite tunes. And Game Hub is your go-to source for premium and multi-player games. Plus, it lets you jump into action any time - wherever you are
- Samsung ChatON
- ChatON connects your friends and acquaintances across devices and platforms in a more expressive, dynamic way with unique features like Group Chat, Multimedia Transmission, Buddy Interaction and more. Engage in spur-of-the-moment group video sessions with Google+ Hangouts. It's as easy as bumping into somebody on the street
- Samsung Galaxy Perks
- The Galaxy Note 10.1 comes with a 3-month Hulu Plus membership, a 12-week New York Times subscription, a 1-week BusinessWeek subscription, 3 digital magazines for 2 months from Zinio and a 3-month Audible subscription for new users. The tablet also includes a 2-year 50GB Dropbox subscription and 12 months of Boingo Wi-Fi access. Samsung even throws in 25 dollars of Google Play Store Credit and 50 dollars of Samsung Hub Credit
- Compatible Video Formats
The following video formats are compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" tablet:
AVI, MP4, M4V, 3GP, MKV, WMV, ASF, FLV, H.263, H.264, VC-1, VP8, WMV (7/8), Sorenson Spark, MP43
- Compatible Audio Formats
The following audio formats are compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" tablet:
MP3, M4A, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, ASF, OGG, FLAC, AMR, WAV, XMF, MXMF, iMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, MIDI, polyphonic 64-note ringtones
- Compatible Image Formats
The following image formats are compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1" tablet:
GIF, AGIF, JPEG, PNG, BMP, WBMP, WEBP