The Pentax K-3 DSLR Camera is an advanced DSLR featuring a 23.35MP APS-C CMOS sensor and PRIME III image processor to produce high-resolution still imagery and full HD 1080i/p video with high low-light sensitivity to ISO 51200. Full-resolution continuous shooting is supported up to 8.3 fps for 22 consecutive RAW frames, with a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., and the SAFOX11 autofocus system utilizes 27 focus points, with 25 cross-type points, to maintain sharp focus in a quick and accurate manner. Benefitting the image quality is a selectable anti-aliasing filter, which can be turned on or off to either garner the highest resolution and sharpness possible or provide enhanced protection against moiré. Additionally, in-camera Shake Reduction image stabilization renders any K-mount lens stabilized and helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake when working with greater shutter speeds or longer focal lengths.
The K-3's body design incorporates 92 special seals to render it cold, dust, and weather-resistant and the magnesium alloy cover with stainless steel chassis contribute to overall durability and ruggedness. A 0.95x magnification optical pentaprism viewfinder is incorporated into the body as well as a 3.2" 1,037k-dot LCD monitor for a choice of bright, clear viewing means. Dual SD card slots extend the recording versatility of the camera and FLU memory card support enables wireless image transferring and remote camera control possibilities when in use.
- 23.35MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and PRIME III Processor
- A large 23.35MP APS-C CMOS sensor and PRIME III image processing engine work together to enable high-resolution imaging and full HD video recording with notable low-light sensitivity from ISO 100-51200. The image processor also contributes to a wealth of shooting speed for the camera, including a top full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 8.3 fps for up to 22 consecutive RAW images or 60 JPEGs and a maximum shutter speed of 1/8000 sec. This highly durable, advanced shutter is rated to 200,000 cycles and employs a range of innovative technologies that independently regulate the shutter, mirror, and diaphragm to minimize mirror shock for accurately-render images when shooting at higher frame rates.
- Selectable Anti-Aliasing Filter
- A unique and innovative mechanism allows you to toggle the anti-aliasing filter's effect either on or off, providing support for both the high-resolution abilities of a filter-less design as well as advanced moiré protection. With the filter in the Off position, the K-3 is more prone to acquiring maximum sharpness, resolution, and detail from an image for the highest attainable image quality. When the filter position is set to On, an anti-aliasing simulator applies microscopic vibrations to the image sensor unit at a sub-pixel level during exposure; working to the same effect as an optical anti-aliasing filter. Having both options available extends the camera's versatility and allows personalized selection of the benefits best-suited to individual applications.
- SAFOX11 Autofocus Module
- A redesigned SAFOX11 autofocus module has been integrated into the K-3 and employs 27 focus points in order to deliver a metering range of -3 to +20 EV. 25 of the 27 sensors are cross-type, in order to gain the highest precision while focusing, and three of the sensors are dedicated to low-light performance.
- Real Time Scene Analysis Metering
- The Real Time Scene Analysis System utilizes an 86,000 pixel RGB light-metering sensor with enhanced metering algorithms to increase the accuracy of exposure metering and white balancing as well as aiding the autofocus system.
- Full HD 1080i/p Video Recording
- Full HD 1920 x 1080 video recording is supported in multiple frame rates, including 60i, 50i, 30p, 25p, and 24p, in the high-quality H.264 format. HD 1280 x 720 video is also supported in 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, and 24p frame rates. Audio can be recorded along with video using the built-in stereo microphone or, additionally, a 3.5mm microphone terminal is available for use of an external mic. A headphone port is also incorporated into the camera for real time audio monitoring for precise in-camera manipulation of the audio levels. A dedicated switch permits instant transition from still to movie shooting and an HDMI terminal is integrated into the body's design for direct HD output to a television or monitor.
- In-Camera Shake Reduction
- In-camera sensor-shift type Shake Reduction (SR) works to minimize the appearance of camera shake when using any mounted lens. Ideal for working in low-light conditions or with longer lenses, since the image stabilization is located within the body, both past, legacy lenses as well as current Pentax lenses all receive the benefits of SR.
- Body Design
Revolving around a durable magnesium alloy body with stainless steel chassis, the K-3 is fully weather and coldproof due to the inclusion of 92 independent seals. These seals protect the camera from water, fog, snow, sand, and dust for ensured performance in a wide range of conditions.
Two SD memory cards slots are incorporated into the body for greater flexibility and potential capacity when shooting and support both overflow and JPEG/RAW file separation. Support is also availed to dedicated 16GB FLU memory cards, which provides wireless connectivity to the camera for remote adjustment over camera settings, remote live view monitoring, and wireless sharing of files. Eye-Fi wireless cards are supported, too.
Also housed within the body is a bright, low-profile glass pentaprism viewfinder with 0.95x magnification and 100% frame coverage. The glass has been treated with an optimized coating to improve brightness and reflectance for clearer viewing. Additionally, optional interchangeable focusing screens can be used depending on personal preference for critical focusing and composing. A 3.2" 1,037k-dot LCD monitor is available, too, for bright live view monitoring, image playback, and menu navigation and features an anti-reflective (AR) coating and gapless glass design for greater clarity when viewing.
- Other Camera Features
- When working in live view, an electronic level can be used to help ensure level horizons and plumb verticals.
- Multi-pattern white balance recognizes and independently analyzes different lighting sources and types within an image and applies separate white balance adjustments to optimize the overall color reproduction.
- Native support is offered for both Pentax PEF and Adobe DNG 14-bit RAW file types. It is also possible to retrieve RAW data from JPEG files if still present in the camera's buffer memory.
- In-camera HDR capture is possible for extending the dynamic range of an image; achieving greater details in the highlights and shadows with an extended range of mid-tones.
- A customizable RAW/Fx button provides easy, direct access to some of the most oft-used camera settings.
- A built-in pop-up flash is available, with a guide no. of 42.65' at ISO 100, and supports P-TTL metering. A hot shoe and X-sync terminal are also available for external flash connection.
- Multiple exposure shooting is possible in composite mode with additive, average, and bright settings for 2 to 2000 individual exposures.
- Interval recording permits up to 2000 individual images to be recorded with 2 sec. to 24 hour delays in between frames.
- Custom Image Modes: Bright; Natural; Portrait; Landscape; Vibrant; Radiant; Muted; Bleach Bypass; Reversal Film; Monochrome; Cross Processing; HDR: Auto, HDR1, HDR2, HDR3; Exposure Bracket Value adjustable; and Automatic composition correction function.
- Digital Filters: Extract Color, Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast, Shading, Invert Color, Unicolor Bold, and Bold Monochrome.
- Language support: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, and Russian.