The black PowerShot SX520 HS Digital Camera from Canon is a compact point-and-shoot camera featuring a 16-megapixel 1/2.3" High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor and a long 42x optical zoom f/3.4-6.0 lens equivalent to 24-1,008mm in 35mm format. The SX520 combines this image sensor with the DIGIC 4+ processor to create the Canon HS System which is designed to provide quality imagery in low-light situations. Also, the lens has an Intelligent IS system with eight different modes optimized to different shooting situations.
In addition to stills, the SX520 is capable of full high definition 1920 x 1080p video recording which can be monitored using the 3.0" 461k-dot TFT-LCD screen on the rear of the camera. There is also a high speed autofocus system to ensure you are getting sharp images as fast as possible. Another ability of the camera is Zoom Framing Assist which will automatically zoom the lens in or out in order to track the movement of a subject when shooting at extreme telephoto focal lengths.
Numerous shooting modes are available, including Smart AUTO for intelligently selecting the best settings based on 32 predefined shooting situations. Creative Shot mode generates photos with artistically adjusted tone and color based on your original image. And, Hybrid Auto mode allows you to record a few seconds of video with every photograph you take and will then automatically compile them into a single video.
- Canon HS System
- The camera combines the power of a 16-megapixel 1/2.3" High-Sensitivity CMOS image sensor with that of the DIGIC 4+ image processor to create images with low noise and excellent sharpness even in low-light conditions. this processor provides a processing improvement of approximately 60% over previous generations and allows video recording at 30p in full high definition. The HS system also enables quality video to be recorded at up to ISO 3200 or up to ISO 6400 in low light mode.
- 42x Optical Zoom Lens
- With a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-1,008mm, the 42x optical f/3.4-6.0 zoom lens featured on the SX520 allows you to take wide angle to extreme telephoto shots. This lets you take in an entire scene with the wide angle to the fine details with the extreme telephoto.
- Intelligent IS with Eight Modes
- Featuring eight different modes, the Intelligent IS will optically stabilize the images in a wide variety of conditions. It will automatically determine what settings are best for the scene you are shooting in order to provide the best form of stabilization. During still image shooting it will switch between Normal IS for a wide range of camera movement, Panning IS, Macro (Hybrid) IS which corrects for shift-type shake, or Tripod mode which turns of the stabilizer since it is not needed. Video recording benefits from Dynamic IS which is useful at wide focal lengths, Power IS which compensates for movement at telephoto focal lengths, Macro (Hybrid) IS which corrects for movement while walking as well as shift-type shake, and Active Tripod IS which compensates for slight camera shake.
- Full HD Video Recording
- With the ability to record at a resolution of 1920 x 1080p at 30 fps (29.97 fps), you can have full high definition video for viewing on an HDTV. This camera also features a dedicated movie button and can zoom while shooting.
- Zoom Framing Assist
- This feature will have the camera automatically zoom in or out to keep a subject in frame and in focus when using extreme telephoto focal lengths.
- Hybrid Auto
- This mode records a few seconds of video with every still image capture. It then automatically compiles the recordings into a single HD video at the end of the day.
- Smart AUTO
- Automatically selects the best shooting settings for the camera based on the scene. It can select from 32 predefined settings for still images and from 21 settings for video recording.
- Other Features
- Can accept 67mm filters with the use of the FA-DC67A adapter
- Built-in flash with maximum range of 18'
- Mini HDMI connector for viewing images and video on a television
- Full manual, shutter priority, aperture priority, and program shooting modes available
- Built-in flash with wide angle range of 1.6-18' and telephoto range of 4.3-9.8'
- Continuous shooting speed up to 10 fps in high-speed burst mode
- Curved grip designed to reduce strain on your fingers and minimize shake a long focal lengths
- Front dial makes adjusting settings more convenient