Not available with current selections
Sporting a highly compact design with black-colored aluminum alloy accents and a textured black leatherette wrap, the Pentax Q-S1 Mirrorless Digital Camera straddles both form and function with its versatile imaging capabilities and sleek appearance. Featuring a 12.4MP 1/1.7" backlit CMOS sensor and Q Engine image processor, the Q-S1 realizes up to 5 fps continuous RAW shooting as well as full HD 1080p video recording. The sensor and processor also combine to provide notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 12800 with markedly low noise levels at all sensitivity values. Also benefitting working in difficult lighting conditions, in-body sensor-shift Shake Reduction works to minimize the appearance of camera shake with any mounted lens.
Helping to further extend the functionality of the camera, a refined body design also sees the inclusion of a programmable Quick Dial, as well as dedicated mode dials for quickly accessing a variety of camera settings. For image monitoring and playback, a large 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor is available and features both a 170° viewing angle and an anti-reflection coating to support its use in a wide variety of lighting conditions. A broad array of in-camera imaging effects, including Smart Effects and Bokeh Control, are available to creatively enhance the look and feel of photos and videos, and can be viewed in real time on the LCD.
Included with the camera body are two versatile zoom lenses covering a range of perspectives from wide-angle to telephoto. The Pentax 02 Standard Zoom 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 lens provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27.5-83mm and incorporates four extra-low dispersion elements within its design, as well as a Pentax SP lens coating, for maintained sharpness and clarity. Its five-blade diaphragm coincides with a leaf shutter design, which permits high-speed flash sync with shutter speeds up to 1/2000 sec. Also included is the Pentax 06 Telephoto Zoom 15-45mm f/2.8 lens, which offers a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 83-249mm. This long-reaching lens is characterized by a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture, as well as two extra-low dispersion elements and one super-low dispersion element within its construction. A Quick-Shift focus system permits instant switching from auto to manual focusing and a retractable lens design helps to maintain the overall compact form factor of the Q system.
- 12.4MP Backlit CMOS Sensor and Q Engine Processor
- The combination of a 12.4MP 1/1.7" backlit CMOS sensor and Q Engine processor enable high-resolution shooting up to 5 fps in full resolution as well as full HD 1080p video recording. These two technologies also help to realize a notable sensitivity range from ISO 100-12800 with enhanced noise reduction capabilities at all ISO values. The low-light capabilities of the sensor and processor also contribute to refined autofocus accuracy in conditions as low as EV 0.
- In-Camera Shake Reduction
- A sensor-shift type Shake Reduction image stabilization system, coupled with an efficient gyro sensor, helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake, regardless of the lens in use.
- Body Design and Operability
Characterized by a compact form factor and retro-inspired body design, the Q-S1 is accented by an aluminum alloy Quick Dial and grip as well as a textured synthetic leather wrapped front panel. The Quick Dial can be used for efficient control and access to a variety of shooting modes, with the ability to assign four favorite functions, including Smart Effects, aspect ratio, AF/MF switching, focus assist on/off, and ND filter on/off.
The body design also incorporates a 3.0" 460k-dot LCD monitor, with a 3:2 aspect ratio and 170° viewing angle, which is fitted with an anti-reflection coating for greater visibility in a range of lighting conditions.
- Full HD Movie Recording
The Q-S1 is capable of recording full HD 1080p video, up to 30 fps, in the MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format. Full-time Continuous AF (AF-C) is available when shooting to maintain sharp focus on moving subjects. During recording, sound is captured by a built-in monaural microphone. Additionally, HD 720p and SD 480p formats are also supported.
Interval recording is also supported, with the ability to automatically output series of images as an HD movie. In-camera image adjustments, such as Smart Effects, can be applied as well as movie editing capabilities.
- Pentax Q-Mount Lenses
Rounding out the versatility of the Q-S1 are two included zoom lenses: the Pentax 02 Standard Zoom 5-15mm f/2.8-4.5 lens and the Pentax 06 Telephoto Zoom 15-45mm f/2.8 lens. The 5-15mm lens provides an equivalent focal length range of 27.5-83mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives, and incorporates four extra-low dispersion elements into its design to minimize chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range. The Pentax SP lens coating also helps to maintain consistent image quality and a five-blade leaf shutter enables high-speed flash sync up to 1/2000 sec. Additionally, a built-in 2-stop neutral density filter helps when working in bright conditions and for greater control over exposure settings.
The 15-45mm f/2.8 lens covers a range of telephoto perspectives, equivalent to 83-249mm in the 35mm format. This lens has a constant f/2.8 maximum aperture for consistent performance throughout the zoom range and a Quick-Shift focus system permits instant switching between focus modes. Two extra-low dispersion elements and one super-low dispersion element help to reduce chromatic aberrations and distortions and contribute to refined image clarity and sharpness. Additionally, an SP coating has been applied to the front lens element to protect it from dust, dirt, and debris.
- Other Camera Features
- When shooting with lenses featuring a leaf shutter, high-speed flash sync is available up to 1/2000 sec.
- A built-in pop-up flash features a guide number of 16.1' at ISO 100 to provide additional illumination to a scene.
- A Custom Image function allows you to apply creative finishing touches to imagery, with the ability to choose from 11 different modes, including Bleach Bypass, for aesthetic image refinement.
- Digital filter effects can be applied for in-camera alteration of the look and feel of imagery. Of the 17 effects available, 11 can be applied when shooting stills or movies, including Toy Camera, Invert Color, and Posterization, with the other six filters being available in in-camera image editing. Additionally, multiple filter effects can be applied at a time for even greater creative control.
- Smart Effect modes, which are easily accessible via the Quick Dial, allow you to instantly apply a unique look to image files, which is visible when working from the rear LCD. Nine effects are available, and the Quick Dial affords the ability to assign your four favorite effects for instant access.
- Helping to add a selective focus look to imagery, Bokeh Control can aid in highlighting specific subjects by assessing the relative distance between objects within a scene and adding a creative out-of-focus effect to the photo.
- Auto Picture mode automatically selects an appropriate shooting mode from a range of options, including Portrait, Landscape, and Macro, to optimize exposure results based on the scene at hand.
- Scene modes: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Moving Object, Night Scene Portrait, Sunset, BlueSky, Forest, Night Scene, Night Scene HDR, Night Snap, HDR, Quick Macro, Food, Pet,Kids, Surf & Snow, Backlight Silhouette, Candlelight, Stage Lighting, and Museum.
- Interval shooting is possible, with the ability to record up to 999 images with 3 second to 24 hour intervals.
- Manual exposure modes, including Program AE, Aperture-Priority AE, Shutter-Priority AE, and Manual, are available to offer complete creative control over exposure settings.
- A Dust Removal II (DRII) system effectively prevents dust from affecting image quality through the use of a supersonic vibration mechanism to shake dust off the sensor surface.
- In-camera RAW image development allows you to output your RAW files as JPEGs for instant online sharing directly from the camera, alleviating the need to process images using a computer.
- Built-in HDR automatically composites multiple images at different exposure settings into a single frame in order to garner greater highlight and shadow details with an extended range of mid-tones.
- Multi-exposure mode allows you to record up to nine exposures within a single frame, with auto exposure compensation available.
- A digital level function can be used to ensure level horizons and plumb verticals.
- Remote control receptors are available on both the front and rear of the camera to increase the efficiency of remotes during shooting.
- CTE white balance mode emphasizes a predominant color value within an image for more accurate overall color balance.
- The Q-S1 is compatible with optional Eye-Fi wireless LAN SD memory cards for remote image transfer.
- Language support: Japanese, English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greece, Russian, Korean, Chinese(Traditional), and Chinese (Simplified).