The Sony NEX-EA50M NXCAM Camcorder with 18-105mm f/4 Servo Zoom G Lens brings large-sensor, Full HD video recording to the masses. It inherits the same versatile semi-shoulder mount design from its predecessor--the NEX-EA50UH--but adds an updated Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor and replaces the 18-200mm E-mount lens with an 18-105mm f/4 constant aperture Servo Zoom G lens. The lens provides quiet and continuous variable focus, zoom, and iris operation and features Optical SteadyShot image stabilization for smoother footage whether the camcorder is in your hands or on your shoulder.
The camcorder's E-mount allows you to use native Sony E-Mount lenses, such as the included 18-105mm servo zoom, as well as virtually any SLR, DSLR, or cine lenses through the addition of optional third party adapters. Behind the lens mount, you'll find a large APS-C sized CMOS sensor. Similar in size to Super 35, the APS-C sensor allows for cinematic images with a shallower depth of field than smaller sensor camcorders. The sensor can capture up to 1080p video at 24, 25, 30, 50, or 60 frames per second using the AVCHD codec, as well as still photos up to 16.1 megapixels. For professional audio capture, the camcorder has two XLR inputs, with an ECM-XM1 shotgun microphone included.
Media is recorded to an SD/SDHC/SDXC or Memory Stick PRO Duo card. The camcorder supports MS-PX "Mirroring Memory Stick" cards, which allows for two distinct segments to be recorded simultaneously to a single card, with built-in Error Correction Code to catch and correct errors as they happen. You can also connect and record to Sony's optional HXR-FMU128, a flash memory unit with a 128GB capacity. When connected, you can even simultaneously record HD video to the flash memory unit and the internal memory card for instant backup.
Footage is monitored using a 3.5" touchscreen LCD. When using an E-mount lens, you can active the Touch Focus function and pull focus simply by touching the LCD where you want the camera to focus. E-mount lenses also allow you to take advantage of the camcorder's face detection feature. Other features include a built-in hot shoe, LANC remote control port, and GPS location tagging.
- Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens
- The Sony E PZ 18-105mm f/4 G OSS Lens is a wide-ranging zoom lens that provides a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-158mm, covering wide-angle to telephoto perspectives. A constant f/4 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and is especially beneficial when working with greater zoom magnifications in low-light conditions. Also benefiting working in dim light or at the long end of the zoom range is Optical SteadyShot image stabilization, which works to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps. Variable zooming speed is electronically controlled by zoom rocker levers located on the camcorders handgrip, top handle, on the lens itself, or remotely with a LANC compatible controller.
- E-Mount Interchangeable Lens System
- The camcorder's Sony E-mount accepts native Sony E-mount lenses, as well as virtually any 35mm SLR, DSLR, and 35mm cine lenses via optional lens adapters. This means that you are not locked into one lens brand or mount, freeing you up to use current lenses you own in addition to the 18-105mm Servo Zoom G lens included with the camcorder.
- Exmor APS HD CMOS Sensor
- The NEX-EA50M is equipped with a new "Exmor APS HD" CMOS sensor designed for shooting Full HD video and 16.1 megapixel still photos. The APS-C sensor is similar in size to Super35, letting you capture cinematic images with a shallower depth of field than on smaller chip camcorders.
- 1920x1080 50/60p Full HD Recording at 28Mbps
- The PS mode with a 28Mbps recording bit-rate enables capturing Full HD video at 60p. This video can be played back at normal speed for smooth motion, or conformed to 24p in post for 2.5x slow motion shots. The camcorder can also record 1080p at 30p, 25p, and 24p at 24Mbps, as well as 1080i 50/60.
- 50/60Hz Recording Modes
- The NEX-EA50M is capable of shooting in 50Hz or 60Hz TV systems; enabling users to produce content for clients around the world. As in other NXCAM camcorders, the internal recording format is AVCHD 2.0.
- Storage Options
- Secure Digital memory cards offer professional grade read/write speeds and dependability at previously unheard of prices. The NEX-EA50UH supports both SD and Sony Memory Stick formats. However, it also features an FMU slot for connecting Sony's HXR-FMU128, a flash memory unit with a capacity of 128 GB. Simultaneous HD-HD recording to the memory card and FMU128 is possible.
- 16 Megapixel Still Image Capture
- In addition to video, the NEX-EA50M can also capture still images up to 16.1 megapixels. Its mechanical shutter enables capturing fast moving subject. The photo-trigger button functions similar to still camera; push it halfway to set focus and exposure and then press it all the way home to take the picture. Its top handle mounted hot-shoe accepts a flash.
- 2x Digital Zoom
- Thanks to the high pixel density of its Exmor APS HD CMOS sensor, the NEX-EA50M is capable of performing up to 2x smooth, variable speed digital zooming when the camera is equipped with fixed focal length or manual zoom lenses. Digital zoom is controlled by the zoom rockers on the camera and via LANC compatible remote.
- Touch Focus & Focus Transition (Requires E-Mount Lens Use)
- When the NEX-EA50M is using E mount lenses, you can turn on the Touch Focus function which enables pulling focus by simply touching the point on the camera's LCD touch panel where you want the camera to focus on. You can also store and pull focus between two distinct focus points via the Focus Transition function, with transition time programmable from 0.5 seconds to 90 seconds, in 0.5 second increments.
- Face Detection (Requires E-Mount Lens Use)
- When the Face Detection function is enabled, the NEX-EA50M detects and draws boxes on the faces of individuals in the frame. The user can designate a particular face as "primary." From there on, the camera will optimize focus and exposure on the primary face. Even if the primary subject leaves the frame, if the primary returns, the camera will continue tracking.
- Mirroring Memory Stick support
- The NEX-EA50M is compatible with the MS-PX series "Mirroring Memory Stick." These memory cards are equipped with a unique mirroring function that more reliably backs up and secures file-based footage acquired on NXCAM camcorders. The mirroring function essentially lets users record to two distinct segments on the memory card simultaneously, giving the shooter access to the undamaged segment if errors occur to the other segment. A built-in Error Correction Code (ECC) catches and corrects errors as they happen and a Data Refresh feature moves data over to the "safe" zone on the undamaged segment before the error damages the card.
- Picture Profiles
- Six picture profile settings for different shooting conditions are provided as default settings. Selecting a picture profile for a particular scene offers an easy way to optimize the camera to match lighting conditions or for creative image manipulation.
- Location Tagging with GPS Technology
- A built-in GPS function automatically records absolute time and location information every half second of a shoot to AVCHD files.