The AKG C 451B is a cardiod condenser microphone, designed for recording instruments with high transient response, and therefore popularly used for drum kit and percussion recording.
The C 451B features a light diaphram, minimizing handling noise, and a switchable 75Hz/150Hz highpass filter, eliminating low-end rumble. The High Pass filter enhances the "airy" character of the audio signal, and thus the microphone is a viable solution for overhead cymbal or hi-hat recording.
The C 451B provides a flat, on-axis frequency response, capturing the performance without any signal coloration. The microphone provides both 12V and 48V phantom power, with selectable 10dB/20dB pads included for better signal management.
- Cardioid Polar Pattern
- The Cardioid pick up pattern is useful in situations where off axis leakage is a problem. The 451B attenuates around the off-axis (side) sections of the microphone resulting in a directional pick up pattern.
- Switchable Pad
- Switchable 10 dB or 20 dB pads increase the microphone's SPL capability when close-micing, high-energy sound sources or driving preamps or mixers with limited headroom.
- Switchable Highpass Filters
- Switchable highpass filters (75 Hz or 150 Hz, 12 dB/octave). High pass filters accentuate mid and high end pressence by eliminating unnecessary low end frequencies. Often used when recording cymbals on drum kits.
- Fixed Capsule
- To eliminate the mechanical problems of screw on capsules, the 451B features a fixed capsule, designed after the classic CK 1.
- Flat Frequency Response
- Ruler-flat on-axis frequency response of 20 Hz to 20 KHz (± 1.5dB) assures accurate recordings without any added coloration.