The Sony J-H3 is a compact video player for HDCAM high definition recorded video tapes. This unit is a playback only model. The deck can play-back just about any HD interlaced and progressive scan format recording including 24, 25 and 30 frame. In fact, this model can be used with Cine Alta 24/720p HDCAM recorded elements. Another deck in this series, the J-H1 covers all those progressive and interlaced capture formats except the 24-frame format. The deck has both analog and digital outputs and circuitry for down conversion to standard definition including DVCAM.
- Sony Cine Alta System Compatible
- There are multiple HDCAM video formats in use today and the J-H3 plays back almost every one of them. The featured advantage of this particular machine is that it can be used as a player for tapes recorded on the HDCAM Cine Alta cameras. It was designed to play 24-frame 720p video, arguably the highest quality and most film-like format. The other HD systems include 59.94i (60i), 50i, 25p and 29.97p (30p).
- Analog and Digital Outputs
- The J-H3 comes equipped with a digital single BNC connector for both high definition and standard definition SDI output. AES-EBU digital audio is inbedded in the HD signal. A 3-BNC connection outputs both analog HD and standard component video. Additionally the deck down-converts high definition video signals to NTSC or PAL system video.
- Tape Logging Software via RS-232C
- The J-H3 playback machine can be an efficient pre-edit logging machine when coupled with JZ-1 software on a PC (and capture card) that has RS-232C control. The log data including in and out points can be recorded along with simple comments regarding the scene. A story-board feature is present in the software package to assemble a sequence of logged scenes into a basic EDL for edit data export.