Featuring an 8.2 megapixel CMOS Sensor, a second generation DIGIC II Image Processor, 5 fps performance for up to 23 consecutive frames and a 0.2 second start-up time, the Canon EOS 20D Digital Camera is designed to capture richly detailed, perfectly exposed images with speed formerly found only in cameras several times the price.
Other features include a top shutter speed of 1/8000 sec., flash sync at 1/250, a new high-precision 9-point AF System, a built-in multi-controller for fast focusing point selection and a refined magnesium alloy body, for rugged, go anywhere photography. Compatible with not only Canon's new EF-S Lenses, but with the entire EOS System of lenses and flashes, the EOS 20D is a professionally featured camera with a consumer price tag.
- 8.2 Megapixel CMOS Sensor
- This 2nd generation APS-C size sensor (22.5 x 15.0mm) has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras, enabling an effective angle of view that is 1.6x the normal EF Lens focal length. The EOS 20D has an extensive ISO range (from 100 to 1600 plus ISO 3200 in extended mode), and the sensor features a set of narrow-gap microlenses and noise reduction circuits to improve performance at high ISOs - this results in larger, clearer, sharper and more detailed photographs right from the start.
- Second Generation DIGIC II Image Processor
- With the DIGIC II Image Processor on board, photographers can expect precise, natural colors, and spot-on white balance in any number of lighting situations. Through sophisticated signal processing algorithms, the DIGIC II Image Processor even accelerates all aspects of image capture, while consuming less energy than other processors.
- Optimized for Speedy RAW and JPEG Capture
- Whether it's the 0.2 second start-up time, the high speed mirror drive, the class-leading 65 msec. shutter release lag time, or the predictive AF focusing at speeds up to 5 frames-per-second, the EOS 20D will amaze and delight photographers who don't want to wait for their camera when they're ready to shoot. The 20D's CMOS Sensor, and the DIGIC II Image Processor processes the data quickly, writing files to the CompactFlash card faster, and allowing continuous shooting for up to 23 frames (JPEG Large/Fine) with significant reductions in buffer clearing times.
- JPEG or Simultaneous RAW+JPEG
- You can choose to have the EOS 20D record RAWs or JPEGs alone, or in RAW plus JPEG formats simultaneously. The JPEG recording format is ideal for purposes such as Internet image transfers that require reduced file sizes. Canon's proprietary RAW (.CR2) format, on the other hand, employs lossless compression to ensure the highest possible image quality, and is recorded at 12-bits per pixel to provide a wider range of tones and superior detail in bright highlights and deep shadows when compared with JPEG files.
- Expansive AF Sensor Array for Easier Composition
- The EOS 20D has a high-precision 9-point AF system for speedy and accurate focusing in any situation. An improved focusing screen with precision matte finish enables brighter and easier manual focus and a multi-controller, conveniently located on the back of the camera for thumb-controlled action, allows the photographer to instantly choose any of the 9 focus points, or direct the camera to choose them automatically.
- Expanded Features for More Fine-Tuning
- Photographers will find their options for color settings greatly expanded in the EOS 20D. The White Balance compensation function utilizes the new multi-controller and a nifty LCD monitor display to tune any white balance setting up to +/- 9 steps in blue, amber, magenta or green hues to ensure spot-on color and the White Balance bracketing feature produces a series of 3 files varying white balance from magenta to green or blue to amber, depending on the lighting situation. Furthermore, images can be processed directly for the industry print standard Adobe RGB or standard sRGB, and are compatible with DCF 2.0 and Exif 2.21 standards for greater flexibility. The EOS 20D also features a built-in monochrome mode, which uses digital processing to re-create the effects of a number of different black and white filters and toning effects.
- Strength and Elegance Combined
- The EOS 20D feels solid and rugged in your hands ensuring stable, easy handling. Its rigid chassis combines plastic components with stainless steel, and is covered by strong, lightweight magnesium alloy panels on the top, front and rear. Controls are ergonomically shaped and positioned to sustain the EOS tradition of ergonomic excellence and sure-fire operation. The newly designed grip, shutter button and rubber skin contribute to this excellent holding comfort, and the camera's high-profile built-in flash is compact and hides itself neatly into the top of the body. Furthermore, a newly refined finish adds to the elegance of the camera body.
- Zoom Display During Playback
- While viewing recorded images on the camera's 1.8-inch, high-definition TFT color LCD, you can enter the Enlargement Mode and enlarge them up to 10x in 15 stops for detailed analysis of lighting, composition, camera movement, focusing accuracy, facial expression, etc. The camera can also be set to automatically rotate vertical images so they can be viewed easily on the monitor.
- Direct Printing with PictBridge Compatible Printers
- The EOS 20D lets you print beautiful photos with minimum time and effort - directly from the camera. Simply connect the camera with any PictBridge compatible printer via the high-speed USB 2.0 port to print images stored in the CF card. You can even set the EOS 20D to trim the image, add a surrounding "frame," superimpose a date, or print a number of copies. The EOS 20D's direct printing feature complies with Exif v2.2 (Exif Print) and DPOF v1.1.
- Powerful Bundled Software
The EOS 20D comes bundled with three software CDs, Canon's Digital Photo Professional (Version 1.1), the EOS Solution Disk (Version 8.0), and Photoshop Elements 2.0. Each application is designed to optimize captured images, and streamline the digital workflow.
- Digital Photo Professional 1.1
This software provides easy to use RAW conversion tools, including high-speed RAW image processing, high-speed previewing for real-time image adjustment, and support for sRGB, Adobe RGB and Wide Gamut RGB color spaces. CMS (Color Management System) compatible, DPP allows for easy image layout and printing in Adobe RGB in conjunction with Easy-PhotoPrint and compatible printers.
- EOS Digital Solutions
The EOS Solution Disk includes EOS Viewer Utility, which provides dedicated support for downloading, remote control operation via EOS Capture and simple RAW image adjustment. In addition, it provides a favorites folder for special images, a checkmark editing function and PhotoStitch, which merges images to form large panoramics.
- Photoshop Elements 2.0
Photoshop Elements 2.0 is an all purpose photo application which features an expansive range of image editing tools. Whether cropping or resizing, changing exposure or tone settings, or resaving images for special purposes like the web or for output, Photoshop Elements is an excellent tool for the digital photographer.
- Digital Photo Professional 1.1
- Compatible with EF & EF-S Lenses
- The EOS 20D is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide-angle to super-telephoto lenses, and including Canon's new EF-S series lenses, manufactured specifically for the 20D and Digital Rebel. The EF lineup employs advanced optical know-how and micron precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Aspherical optics and Fluorite elements, for example, are featured in the universally acclaimed L-series Lenses.
- Extensive Flash Photography Capability
- The EOS 20D features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system introduced with the EOS-1D Mark II. Whether using its flush mounted integral flash or any of the flashes in the EX Speedlite line, E-TTL II provides stable flash brightness through numerous exposures.
- Additional Accessories Available
- In addition to Canon's EF series of lenses and Speedlites, several other accessories are designed to work specifically with the EOS 20D. The Battery Grip BG-E2 adds a vertical shutter release, and is compatible with up to two of Canon's BP-511/511A/512/514 Lithium-ion battery packs, or alternatively a set of six AA batteries, for greater convenience when traveling. Canon's Semi Hard Case EH/7-L can accommodate the EOS 20D with a small zoom lens, and the EOS 20D is compatible with Canon's DVK-E2 image data verification kit to check original image data authenticity, whenever verification is essential.