This kit contains a Cokin Z-Pro Filter Holder plus:
#121L Graduated Light Gray G2 Filter
#121M Graduated Medium Gray G2 Filter
#121S Graduated Soft Gray G2 Filter
Often it is necessary or desirable to balance the light intensity in one part of a scene with another. This is especially true in situations where you don't have total light control, as in bright contrasty landscapes. Exposing for the foreground will produce a washed-out, over-exposed sky while exposing for the sky will leave the foreground dark and under-exposed.
Cokin graduated gray ND filters are part clear, part neutral density. They allow the transition to be blended into the scene, often imperceptibly. A ND.6-to-clear, with a two stop differential, will generally compensate the average bright sky-to-foreground situation and is also the most popular density of the series.
The Z-PRO Series is recommended for focal lengths of 20mm onwards (in the 35mm format).
Note: These filters measure 100 x 150mm (4 x 6") and fit the Cokin Z-Pro Filter Holder. The kit does NOT contain a Cokin adapter ring - sold separately
Neutral Density Filters Have Four Main Uses
- To enable slow shutter speeds to be used, especially with high speed films, to record movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- To decrease depth of field by allowing wider apertures to be used, which helps separate subjects from their background
- To decrease the effective ISO of high speed film (above ISO 400) and allow it to be used outdoors in bright situations
- To allow cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes which could cause overexposure
- Z-Pro filters are made of CR39 resin which is a reputable lightweight and unbreakable optical material also used for ophthalmic glasses