As Canon's first high-definition video camera, the XL-H1 camcorder and 20x HD video zoom lens with superior Canon optics provide professional level shooters with a low-cost 1080i resolution option for ENG, documentary and reality TV production. Filmmakers will also appreciate the extensive cine' controls and 24 frame option the XL-H1 camcorder offers.
The camera offers uncompressed HD-SDI and SD-SDI output for seamless integration into broadcast studios or high quality image transfer to non-linear editing systems. The Genlock feature allows studios to easily synchronize camera settings across multiple camcorders. Real SMPTE time code input and output allow for streamlined tape and edit management. This camera is fully capable of recording in standard definition DV format as well.
- HDTV Resolution
The XL-H1 camcorder has three 1/3 inch 16:9 interlaced CCDs that capture images at 1080i resolution. The camcorder features selectable frame rates of 60i, 30 Frame and 24 Frame to allow the user to adjust to the assignment at hand and can switch back to SD resolution if needed. At the 30 Frame rate, broadcasters can capture fast motion like sports with confidence that each frame is captured individually and completely.
Filmmakers can utilize the 24 Frame rate when creating the look and feel of movie film. The 60i frame rate, meanwhile, delivers exceptional resolution for shooting environments like ENG or Reality TV. The XL-H1 HD camcorder is the first model to include Canon's proprietary DIGIC DV II image processor. DIGIC DV II is an image processor that can process both HD and SD video signals as well as still photos, while maintaining the correct color space for each mode.
- Uncompressed HD-SDI and SD-SDI
- The XL-H1 camcorder has all the connectors that professionals have been missing in other low-cost HDTV camcorders. For the ultimate in video transfers this camera has uncompressed HD-SDI and SD-SDI connectors. The serial digital BNC connectors can transfer both HD and standard definition signals.
- Time Code
- The XL-H1 camera is equipped with true SMPTE time code input and output. Time code from the camcorder can be sent to other recording devices (cameras, VTRs) so they are all recording with the same clock.
- Genlock Synchronization
- Multi-camera shoots with the XL-H1 is no problem since the camcorder has Genlock sync. This feature allows many devices including cameras, VTRs and switchers to synchronize.
- Canon 20x HD Video Lens
- The Canon XL-H1 features Canon's XL-interchangeable lens mount. For the XL-H1 camcorder Canon builds a 20x high definition video zoom lens. It incorporates multiple Fluorite glass elements for superior color, contrast, resolution and reduction of chromatic aberrations. It is a fast lens with maximum aperture f/1.6 to f/3.5 depending on focal length. At its widest angle the lens is capable of close focusing down to 20mm or about 0.8 inches.
- Viewfinder and LCD Monitor
- The XL-H1 comes with a multi-functional color viewfinder and a 2.4 inch diagonal LCD monitor with safe-zone frame-lines built in. There is a black and white mode, selectable zebra exposure mode, horizontal and vertical flip feature and a distance readout (with the 20x HD lens). As menu options the user can select safe-zone frame-lines for the following aspect ratios: 4:3, 13:9, 14:9, 1.66:1, 1.75:1, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1
- Focus Assist Help Feature
- The camcorder has a feature called Focus Help that uses prompts in the viewfinder to aid fast focusing. The PEAKING setting puts an exaggerated line on the viewfinder image that disappears when focus is achieved. The MAGNIFYING setting enlarges the viewfinder image which should help the operator better judge fine focusing.
- Optical Stabilization Feature
- Canon calls its image stabilizer Super-Range Optical Image Stabilization and it helps defeat camera shake from hand held shooting and even shake produced from a moving vehicle. Because it is an optical function it can compensate for a greater degree of camera shake and avoids any loss in image quality unlike electronic or digital stabilizing methods.