The Sony PRS-500 Portable Reader System couples an innovative electronic paper display with simple on-screen controls and stylish design. Travelers can carry as much as they want to read whether they are traveling across the globe or just around the corner. With battery life equivalent to roughly 7,500 continuous page turns, readers can potentially devour multiple bestsellers without having to recharge.
The Reader's high-resolution electronic paper display delivers a realistic print look that rivals traditional paper and results in crisp text and graphics that are easy on the eyes and readable even in bright sunlight. In addition to electronic books the Reader can also store and display personal documents in Adobe PDF format, RTF, text and JPEG photos. From the CONNECT eBook store, you can also download via your PC selected RSS feeds from blogs and news sites free-of-charge. Feeds from popular sites such as Salon, Slate, Huffington Post, engadget and Gizmodo among others are also available.
- 6" SVGA Monochrome Display with E Ink Display Technology
The Sony Portable Reader boasts an impressive display, utilizing breakthrough technology that's almost paper-like. In addition, the text can be magnified for sight-impaired readers. It is Daylight readable, providing high contrast, high resolution, and a near 180° viewing angle.
What is e Ink Electronic Paper Technology?
Although revolutionary in concept, electronic ink is a straightforward fusion of chemistry, physics and electronics. The principal components of electronic ink are millions of tiny microcapsules, about the diameter of a human hair. Each microcapsule contains positively charged white particles and negatively charged black particles suspended in a clear fluid. When a negative electric field is applied, the white particles move to the top of the microcapsule where they become visible to the user. This makes the surface appear white at that spot. At the same time, an opposite electric field pulls the black particles to the bottom of the microcapsules where they are hidden. By reversing this process, the black particles appear at the top of the capsule, which now makes the surface appear dark at that spot.
- Compact and Lightweight for Ultimate Portability
- The Sony Portable Reader offers a unique, on-the-go reading experience. With a very compact and lightweight design, you can take it almost anywhere. More compact than many paperbacks, it weighs 9 ounces (without cover) and is 0.5" thin. You can easily hold it in one hand while sipping coffee with the other.
- Excellent Battery Life
- the Sony Portable Reader has a built-in rechargeable battery with which you can turn up to 7,500 continuous pages on a single charge, and it can be recharged in as little as 4 hours with the AC adapter (6-8 hours via USB port).
- Internal and Expandable Memory
- The Sony Portable Reader has 64MB of internal memory, and a slot for optional removable memory cards you can take many titles, user-selected Web content, or other supported documents for reading on the go. It will hold up to 80 electronic books in internal memory and hundreds more with Memory Stick media or SD memory cards (sold separately).
- Select from Thousands of eBooks from the CONNECT Book Store
- With the CONNECT software installed on your PC, browsing and buying books online is a simple, integrated experience - browse and buy easily, then simply download books to your PC. Then, you can download your selected content into your Sony Reader and go. It's that easy.
- More Than eBooks
- The Sony Portable Reader isn't just about reading electronic books. Using the included CONNECT Reader PC Software, you can easily transfer Adobe PDF documents, BBeB Book, and other text file formats to the Reader5. Also, search, browse and download user-selected RSS Web content from the CONNECT Store to the PC and easily transfer to the Sony Reader. Take along Web newsfeeds, blogs and more to read. It also displays JPEGs with the same amazing readability, and even plays unsecured MP3 and AAC audio files