The Canon EOS 40D SLR Digital Camera is a superb choice for advanced amateur photographers and entry-level professionals. It incorporates an enhanced, 10.1-megapixel CMOS imaging sensor with the proprietary and super-efficient DIGIC III image processor together with a completely redesigned auto-focus sensor.
Ideal for shooting - and actually capturing - speed-sensitive subjects such as wildlife-nature shots as well as a wide variety of action and sports scenes, the combination of Canon's latest processor, DDR SDRAM high-speed memory, four-channel-per-line sensor readout, and two separate motors for shutter and mirror operation provides a fast, 6.5 frame-per-second (fps) continuous shooting capability, a top shutter speed of 1/8000 seconds, a fast 0.15-second initial start-up, and nearly instantaneous shutter response. Even with all of this speed, the EOS 40D Digital SLR provides impressive image quality using a 10.1-megapixel CMOS APS-C size image sensor that utilizes large microlenses over each pixel to reduce noise and expand sensitivity up to ISO 3200. Furthermore, the 14-bit Analog-to-Digital (A/D) conversion process enables the camera to recognize 16,384 colors per pixel for finer and more accurate gradations of tones and colors. Canon's proprietary DIGIC III image processing engine then ensures that the fine details and natural colors of the images are optimally recorded and, as an added bonus, is also responsible for its efficient energy consumption.
The Large three-inch 230,000-pixel LCD screen of the EOS 40D provides broad color gamut and a viewing angle of 140-degree perspective in all directions to increase viewing ease in conditions such as bright sunlight. An added advantage of the large display is the ability to use a larger font size for text, making it easier to read setting and menu options. More significantly, the Live View function uses the LCD display to provide an expanded and exceedingly convenient set of shooting options. By permitting the framing and capturing of subjects using the camera's LCD screen instead of the viewfinder, the shooter gains a 100 percent field view to more easily achieve the desired composition, and an added Custom Function allows auto-focus during Live View, and provides the user with the ability to magnify the image by five or ten times in order to ensure optimal focus. Live View is at its best during tripod shooting - particularly for close-up photography where precise focusing is imperative. The EOS 40D is also a boon to more traditional shooters as well with an upgraded viewfinder that has an optical magnification of 0.95x, a viewing angle of 264 degrees and an eye point of 22mm.
The enhanced durability of the EOS 40D is attributed to its magnesium alloy exterior with upgraded dust and weather resistant construction, particularly around the camera's connection ports, battery compartment and memory card door. Plus the camera incorporates an extremely durable shutter that has been rated up to 100,000 cycles, The camera also helps to secure it's data from the most common cause of data corruption problems; should the user inadvertently open the CompactFlash card door while the camera is writing to the card, a warning will pop up on the LCD screen and an "alarm" will sound, but the image(s) will continue writing to the memory card without interruption.
The EOS Integrated Cleaning System uses ultrasonic vibrations to literally shake dust particles off of the low-pass filter in front of the sensor each time the camera is powered up or shut down. Users also have the option of engaging the "clean now" function at will or bypassing it altogether. Additionally, the manual sensor cleaning function raises the mirror and allows users to clean dust that has stuck to the low-pass filter. The second part of the cleaning system is a software solution that maps the location of any spots that may remain on the sensor. Subsequently, the offending dust information is subtracted from the final image during post processing using the supplied Digital Photo Professional software.
The EOS 40D Digital SLR is compatible with the full line-up of Canon EF lenses as well as the expanding selection of high-quality, affordable EF-S lenses created specifically for Canon Digital SLRs with APS-C size image sensors. It is also compatible with any of the EX Speedlite line of flash units and supports the E-TTL II protocol that provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. System accessories for the EOS 40D SLR include the redesigned high-capacity BG-E2N Battery Grip, which facilitates high-volume shooting, greater power options, and easier vertical shooting, and the WFT-E3A Wireless File Transmitter which permits wireless transfer and back-up, connection to a GPS receiver, or data transfer to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 external storage devices as well as remote control of the camera in Live View mode. Furthermore, the EOS 40D is also the first camera in its class to offer two interchangeable focusing screens in addition to the standard precision matte screen.
- 10.1 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with 14-bit A/D Conversion
- Canon's large-area APS-C size (22.5 x 15.0mm) CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) sensor captures images with exceptional clarity and tonal range, and has the same 3:2 ratio as film cameras. The use of improved microlenses and the latest manufacturing techniques mean each pixel is more sensitive to light, and less area between pixels is wasted on the sensor - this permits the EOS 40D to provide an extensive ISO range (from 100 to 1600, plus ISO 3200 in extended mode). The 14-bit Analog-to-Digital (A/D) conversion provides for fine transitions from light to dark tones, and a significant drop in digital and shadow noise while the on-chip noise reduction electronics produce images with less digital noise and better high-ISO performance than previous CMOS sensors for clearer, sharper and more detailed photographs right from the start.
- Outstanding Performance
- The EOS 40D is one of the fastest digital SLRs available with the ability to shoot up to 6.5 fps, making it ideal for everything from wildlife to sports. It can capture up to 75 JPEGs, or 17 RAW images in one burst. Whether it's the 0.15-second startup time, the high-speed mirror drive, the brief shutter lag time (only 59 msec), or the predictive AF focusing for capturing the action, the EOS 40D will outperform any expectations and ensure that you capture the most elusive shots.
- RAW and sRAW Image Capture
- In addition to retaining the RAW image capture capabilities of its predecessors, the EOS 40D now offers a more manageable "sRAW" recording format. In sRAW mode, the number of pixels is reduced to one-fourth that of a standard RAW image and the file size is cut in half, while retaining all of the flexibility and creative possibilities associated with full-size, conventional RAW images.
- Durable and Reliable
- The EOS 40D exterior is constructed with lightweight and ultra-rigid magnesium-alloy giving the camera a solid, substantial feel that complements its compact dimensions. Designed to withstand the rigors of everyday use, the camera is shock, dust and weather resistant. It also incorporates a high-speed and durable shutter unit that can reach a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second, and has been tested to withstand a remarkable 100,000-cycle life.
- Fast AF System
- The high-precision 9-point wide area AF system and each of the nine AF points uses a cross-type coverage system, enabling the camera to focus faster, more accurately, and in ever more complex lighting situations than previous models. For added accuracy and precision with wide-aperture lenses, the 40D incorporates a diagonally mounted, high-precision cross-type sensor at the center AF point that is sensitive to both vertical and horizontal lines when fast lenses (f/2.8 or faster) are used. Furthermore, all focus points can be chosen automatically, or accessed using the intuitive, thumb operated Multi-Controller.
- Versatile Exposure Metering System
- The 35-zone metering sensor of the EOS 40D provides for multiple patterns including Evaluative metering, which is linked to all AF points, Center-weighted average metering, Partial metering and Spot metering (covering 3.8 percent of the viewfinder at center). The camera also has 12 exposure control modes (11 AE modes plus manual), and three Custom exposure modes.
- Sophisticated Flash Photography
- The EOS 40D features the acclaimed E-TTL II flash metering system, and is compatible with any of the Canon EX Speedlite series flash units, The E-TTL II system provides reliable flash output whether shooting fill-in flash pictures in sunlight, or using flash in total darkness. This flash system utilizes the exact same 35-zone metering sensor used for measuring ambient light, giving even finer metering command of the image area. As an added convenience, particularly for wireless flash operations, users of the Canon Speedlite 580EX II flash unit can adjust the flash settings directly from the camera.
- Large 3.0-inch LCD Monitor
- The large three-inch 230,000-pixel LCD screen of the EOS 40D is brighter than previous models with a broad color gamut and a slightly narrowed viewing angle of 140 degrees in order to facilitate easy viewing - even under less than ideal viewing conditions such as bright sunlight. An added advantage of the larger-sized display is the ability to use a larger font size for text, making it easier to read setting and menu options on the screen.
- Advanced Live View Function
- The Live View Function is a powerful feature that enables viewing your subjects directly on the 3-inch LCD monitor, and users magnify any part of the scene 5x or 10x for precise manual focus. Users can even choose a grid overlay, perfect for keeping straight lines in your subject straight in your pictures. In the studio, the Live View Function can be used remotely via a computer through the cameras USB connection, or wirelessly or via Ethernet with the optional Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E3A attached. In addition, the Live View function adds a totally unique method for near-silent shooting, with two silent shooting modes.
- Improved Viewfinder
- The EOS 40D incorporates an upgraded viewfinder that has an optical magnification of 0.95x and an eye point of 22mm. Users can even change the focus screen and opt for a grid-type focus screen that makes it easier to verify horizontal or vertical alignment, as well as a Super-Precision Matte focusing screen that makes manual focusing easier when using a lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8 or faster.
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Photographers who must change lenses in dusty environments will find the advanced Canon EOS Integrated Cleaning System a tremendous time saver. Dust that settles on the sensor surface is removed using ultrasonic vibration whenever the camera is powered on or off, and it can also be manually activated. A special collar positioned around the sensor collects the loosened dust. Dust particles can also be automatically removed via software. By shooting a plain white subject, the photographer can acquire dust position data that is transmitted along with the image (whether JPEG or RAW), and the Digital Photo Professional (DPP) software can then be used to manually or automatically erase the dust spots.
- "Picture Style" Settings
- With Picture Style technology, photographers can utilize one of six preset Picture Style settings (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful and Monochrome), or adjust color, saturation, sharpness and contrast settings to create one of three additional user programmable settings to suit their particular photographic style.
- Highlight Tone Priority
- The Highlight Tone Priority function assists photographers in preserving highlight details such as the tooling of a white dress or the delicate feathers of a dove - even under high contrast conditions such as bright midday sunlight or stage lighting. And there's no impact on the camera's shooting speed or burst rate when Highlight Tone Priority is engaged.
- Compatible with All Canon EF & EF-S Lenses
- The EOS 40D is compatible with all Canon lenses in the EF lineup, ranging from ultra-wide angle to super telephoto lenses, and including Canon's EF-S series lenses, manufactured specifically for Canon's APS-C sized digital sensor. Canon lenses employ advanced optical expertise and micron-precision engineering to deliver unprecedented performance in all facets of the photographic process. Aspherical optics and fluorite elements, for example, are featured in the universally acclaimed L Series lenses, and Canon's Image Stabilizer technology in select lenses minimizes the effect of camera shake.
- Additional System Accessories
- In addition to Canon's EF lenses and Speedlite flashes, many other accessories are designed by Canon to work perfectly with the EOS 40D. The Battery Grip BG-E2N adds a vertical shutter release, and is compatible with up to two of Canon's BP-511A Lithium-ion battery packs for increased shooting capacity, or alternatively a set of six AA-size batteries, for greater convenience when traveling.. The EOS 40D is also compatible with the Canon WFT-E3A Wireless File Transmitter which allows photographers to transmit images from their cameras directly to a computer over a Wireless network (802.11 b/g), connect to compatible third-party GPS device, or plug a compatible USB 2.0 hard drive into the transmitter's USB port, and actually shoot directly to a portable hard drive.
- Powerful Bundled Software
- Among the most valuable features of the Canon EOS 40D Digital SLR is its compatibility with Canon's Picture Style Editor (PSE) software. With PSE, shooters can actually design the look of their photographs by inputting their own preferred style, color and tone curves. The EOS 40D Digital SLR also ships with the latest versions of Canon's powerful software applications, including Digital Photo Professional 3.1 and EOS Utility 2.1, which support the camera's Remote Live View and Dust Delete Data functions, as well as incorporating a broad range of additional improvements designed to improve image quality and speed up workflow. Also included are ZoomBrowser EX 5.8 and ImageBrowser 5.8 for easy browsing, viewing, printing and archiving with compatible computer operating systems, including Microsoft Windows Vista and Windows XP, as well as Mac OS X.