The Sony α (Alpha) DSLR-A700 Digital Camera features advanced imaging technologies and ultra-responsive operation, as well as a lightweight, dust- and moisture-resistant, magnesium alloy construction, making it ideal for the photo enthusiast or serious photo hobbyist. It incorporates Sony's Super SteadyShot image stabilization in the camera body and is compatible with most Minolta Maxxum mount lenses in addition to Sony's selection of high quality lenses.
The camera's 12.2-megapixel Exmor CMOS sensor provides impressive image quality with noise reduction right on the sensor itself for incredibly clear images - even at high ISO settings. While the BIONZ processing engine, which has been optimized to process data-rich picture information at high speeds and to further reduce picture noise, provides detailed images with rich tonal reproduction.
The DSLR-A700 camera provides for extensive creative control beginning with fourteen creative styles, including night view, autumn leaves or vivid, which can be selected to enhance images. These effects can then be fine-tuned by customizing contrast, sharpness, zone matching and other parameters.
Furthermore, Sony's Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) function, provides users with the ability to choose the desired level of detail recovered in areas of shadow. Additionally, there is an extensive array of customization options to personalize the camera to match shooting styles. Up to 28 camera settings can be stored in one of three user memories for instant recall, and the camera's custom function button can be assigned to 15 frequently-accessed functions.
The large, bright, viewfinder uses a precision-ground optical glass pentaprism, and includes an interchangeable spherical acute matte focusing screen so that you can easily discern focus and framing. Then view your photos on the 3-inch XtraFine LCD screen, with its ultra-sharp resolution that makes it possible to check focus and image quality with much greater accuracy.
The camera also features an HDMI output for connection to HDTV sets, putting a high-resolution spin on the conventional photo slideshow.
- 12.24 Megapixel Exmor Imaging Sensor
- The APS-C size Exmor CMOS imager provides over 12 million pixels of resolution, with on-chip noise-canceling before and after A/D conversion to produce image output that exhibits rich tonal reproduction with a impressively high signal-to-noise ratio.
- Super SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- The Super SteadyShot Image Stabilization system moves the image sensor in response to camera shake, enabling every lens to benefit from a stabilized image, and provides an advantage of up to 4.0 stops to sharpen images in lower light, for hand-held shots that would normally require a tripod. It also makes the camera perfect for indoor sports shooting, and candlelit subjects that would be ruined by flash.
- Bionz Image Processor
- The advanced Sony Bionz Image Processor utilizes hardware-based Large Scale Integrated (LSI) circuitry that improves camera response time, screens out noise before RAW data conversion, handles Dynamic Range Optimization processing and prolongs battery life.
- High Speed Continuous Shooting
- The high-speed processing power of the Bionz engine, a quick-response coreless motor to drive the shutter, and dual mirror stoppers to prevent mirror bounce combine to enable the DSLR-A700 to capture action more effectively at either 5 or 3 frames per second, even shooting at full 12.24 MP resolution. You can also shoot continuously to the limit of available memory in JPEG Fine and Standard modes.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer
- The Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) recovers details in dark or bright areas of the picture, and provides multiple levels of Optimization: Normal DRO improves shadow detail using standard gamma curves for fast shot-to-shot response time, Advanced DRO adjusts dynamic range area-by-area for the greatest precision, and maximizes detail in both highlight and shadow areas, Advanced Auto mode, allows you to select any of 5 DRO correction levels, and DRO Advanced Bracketing that automatically takes three shots at different DRO levels with a single shutter press.
- Flexible Exposure Modes
- For greater creative freedom in a wide range of shooting conditions, the DSLR-A700 camera provides full manual exposure control as well as Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Exposure Compensation modes. There are also a series of scene modes available for great exposure - even under difficult lighting situations.
- 11-Point Center Dual Cross AF Sensor
- The Sony AutoFocus system uses a large f/2.8 sensor to improve your ability to frame the subject and capture moving subjects with greater focusing precision, and a focus drive clutch lets you switch seamlessly between auto and manual focusing by pressing a simple button.
- Super-Accurate Exposure Control
- A 40-segment honeycomb sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions.
- Simple Camera Control Menus and Exposure Mode Dial
- With a quick press of the Function (Fn) button, the A700 camera switches the LCD display from standard menu information to a Quick Navigation screen for camera setup via joystick and forward-back controls. The menus are easy and intuitive, and memory function lets you save and recall personalized camera settings. The easy-to-use Exposure Mode Dial gives you quick access to Program Auto, Aperture priority, Shutter-speed priority, Manual and full Auto exposure setting modes -- as well as six scene selection modes that optimize camera focus, exposure, brightness, contrast and other settings for Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset and Night View/Portrait scenes.
- Versatile Recording Formats
- Images can be captured in RAW, cRAW (optimized for fast action), RAW+JPEG and three JPEG modes (Extra Fine, Fine and Standard), for greater versatility in every digital photo application.
- Built-in Flash
- The flip-up flash covers a wide focal range, synchronizes at 1/250 second, supports red-eye reduction and slow flash features as well as manual flash mode to set flash intensity. In addition, a wireless flash signal is available for external flash synchronization.
- Anti-Dust Technology
- Changing lenses can let dust particles collect on the image sensor surface, degrading picture quality - and once there, dust is difficult to remove. To combat this constant problem, the Sony α (Alpha) DSLR-A700 Digital Camera incorporates comprehensive anti-dust technology. A special Indium Tin Oxide CCD coating repels dust, and what little dust gets past this first line of defense is dislodged by a unique CCD "shake" routine - resulting in clean, clear pictures.
- Rugged Magnesium Alloy Body
- The α (Alpha) DSLR-A700 is built to very high standards of durability and performance with a durable and lightweight magnesium alloy body, so you can shoot on location in difficult conditions with confidence that your equipment can handle the challenge.
- Advanced Pentaprism Viewfinder with Eye-Start System
- With a bright focusing screen, an optical glass prism and high quality viewfinder lenses, it is easy to clearly see your subject, compose your shot and adjust focus manually. Furthermore the Eye-Start Autofocus System uses sensors right in the eyepiece to begin precision autofocus adjustments the moment you bring your eye to the viewfinder.
- XtraFine 3.0" LCD Screen
- With the high resolution 3.0 inch LCD Dispaly in the A700 camera, it's like having a high-resolution photo viewer built into your camera. The displays sharp, bright images are even easily visible outdoors under bright light with a wide viewing angle so you can share your photos more easily.
- PhotoTV HD Viewing with HDMI Output
- The A700 provides direct HDMI output so you can view and share photos in breathtaking clarity and detail. You can choose between standard 3:2 and widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, and with a Sony Bravia HDTV, photos are automatically optimized in sharpness, gradation and color reproduction for HD display.
- Powerful Supplied Software
- The DSLR-A700 comes with a powerful RAW conversion and image management system that gives you the power to handle large volumes of RAW data while taking full advantage of the sophisticated imaging capabilities of the camera.
- Lithium-Ion Battery with Stamina Power
- Based on CIPA standard, the supplied NP-FM500H Lithium Ion rechargeable battery lets you take up to 650 shots on a full charge, and recharges quickly with the supplied battery charger.
- Remote Control (Wireless & Tethered)
- For shooting as well as viewing convenience, Sony supplies a multi-function wireless remote control with the DSLR-A700 -- allowing you to control HDTV photo viewing and trip the shutter by remote to put yourself in the picture. Furthermore, with the supplied remote capture application, the camera can be controlled from a compatible PC via USB without even touching the camera, and files can be stored directly onto the computer instead of the media card.
- Dual Media Options
- The Sony α (alpha) DSLR-A700 camera accepts both CompactFlash (Type I/II) media and Memory Stick Duo media.
- Professional Lenses and Accessories
- The DSLR-A700 accepts a superb array of precision optics, including Sony wide-aperture zoom lenses that perform brilliantly over a broad range of focal lengths, Sony "G" Series lenses with advanced motorized autofocusing, amazingly bright Carl Zeiss T* coated lenses, and Minolta a-mount lenses - plus professional-quality flash units and system accessories to expand your creative horizons. Sony's full line of accessories also includes a vertical grip that offers the same ease of operation and handling as when shooting normally. It houses two InfoLithium batteries (sold separately), which will effectively double your shooting time.