The Olympus E-3 Interchangeable Lens SLR Digital Camera combines speed and weatherproof durability for capturing exceptional images in any situation. The camera's 10-megapixel Live MOS Image Sensor delivers high-resolution images for large-format print sizes and the TruePic III digital processing engine ensures high-speed image processing, accurate color and improved detail with low noise.
The E-3 employs a high speed 11-point biaxial cross type AF system that provides 5 frames-per-second continuous shooting, and 1/8000 second top shutter speed for the swiftness required in any shooting situation. Furthermore, when the E-3 is coupled with Zuiko Digital Supersonic Wave Drive Lenses (SWD), like the Olympus ED 12-60mm, it offers unmatched AF speeds. Plus, the cameras Body-Integrated Mechanical Image Stabilization system ensures blur-free images for all lenses attached to the E-3, so now even low-light telephoto shots are clear and sharp when you are holding the camera - even with shaky hands.
The camera's dual-axis swivel 2.5-inch Live View LCD can be rotated freely so photographers can compose with the camera held overhead or down low, thus enabling them to take shots from angles impossible until now without feeling like a contortionist and to see precisely how the settings they select impact the image, before the shutter is released and the image is captured. For a more traditional shooting experience, the E-3's large optical viewfinder provides a 100 percent accurate view and its 1.15x magnification makes it one of the largest and most accurate viewfinders for reliable composition.
The E-3 is also a durable camera that can handle some of the most extreme shooting conditions. Its sealed magnesium alloy chassis is completely splash-proof and dust-proof when used with pro lenses, and its durable shutter mechanism has been designed to have a lifespan of 150,000 exposures to meet the demands of serious photographers. In addition, the proven effective built-in Dust Reduction System with the Supersonic Wave Filter eliminates the problem of dust spots from your photos.
- High-Performance 10.1 Megapixel Live MOS Sensor
- The 10-megapixel Live MOS Image Sensor delivers the high resolution you need to accurately reproduce subject details with rich tones and natural colors for large-format print sizes, while also exhibiting lower power consumption than previous incarnations, enabling you to shoot longer.
- TruePic III Digital Image Processing System
- The camera's Live MOS image sensor is complemented by Olympus' exclusive TruePic III Image Processor that produces crystal clear photos using all the pixel information for each image to provide the best digital images possible with accurate natural color, true-to-life flesh tones, brilliant blue skies and precise tonal expression. TruePic III also lowers image noise in images shot at higher ISO settings, enabling great results in low-light situations.
- Olympus Zuiko Digital Lenses
- All Olympus Zuiko lenses are precision-engineered and designed especially for digital photography to provide edge-to-edge clarity and even brightness across your image. Furthermore, there is a large selection of Zuiko lenses available ranging from extremely wide angle to high zoom telephoto lenses as well as specialty lenses, and all Zuiko Digital lenses are compatible with all Olympus E-System digital SLR cameras. The E-3 is also fully compatible with Olympus Supersonic Wave Drive (SWD) lenses that enable auto focusing at ultra-high speed with precise and quiet operation.
- In-Camera Blur Reduction
- Effectively reduce blur with the exclusive Supersonic Wave Drive (SWD) in-camera Image Stabilization System, and you'll achieve up to a five step EV stabilization effect with all Zuiko Digital Lenses. Moreover, the built-in SWD Image Stabilization offers the advantage of providing image stabilization for every lens attached to the camera body, so there is no need to purchase image stabilized lenses at a premium price.
- Incredibly Fast Auto Focus
- The exclusive 11-point biaxial auto focus system features an innovative houndstooth-pattern phase detection sensor layout that uses micro-lamination technologies to achieve superior real-world performance, that coupled with (SWD) Supersonic Wave Drive lenses provides exacting autofocus precision at exceptional speeds. AF accuracy is further ensured by precise alignment and accurate mounting of the sensors within the AF unit.
- Fast Continuous Shooting
- The ability to shoot up to five frames per second means you can capture fast-moving moments and get amazing results, plus the UDMA CompactFlash compatibility enhances capture speeds for the ultimate in shooting performance.
- Live View Shooting
- Olympus Live View provides users the ability to easily compose their subjects live on the LCD and see precisely how the settings they select impact the image before the shutter is released and the image is captured. This feature provides a level of versatility and creative control that cannot be achieved by other digital SLR cameras that only offer an optical viewfinder.
- 2.5-inch Dual-Axis, Free-Angle LCD Display
- The 2.5" Live View HyperCrystal LCD provides many times the contrast of conventional LCD monitors and a resolution of approximately 230,000 pixels for easier viewing in both preview and playback. It also provides a wide viewing angle of 170 degrees, which ensures images can be composed from even the most obscure angles, and its 360-degree articulation makes composition and image viewing possible at any angle. Furthermore, the LCD provides magnification of the subject by a factor of up to 10 times, enabling users to confirm sharp, pinpoint focus.
- High Eye-Point Optical Viewfinder
- The large, easy-to-see optical viewfinder delivers the precise compositional accuracy demanded by the most discriminating photographer. With 1.15x magnification and 100 percent accuracy, photographers can rely on the E-3 to capture exactly what they compose through the optical viewfinder, so what you see is what you get when viewing images back at the computer. This optical viewfinder also reduces eyestrain and makes manual focusing easier.
- High-Speed, Durable Shutter
- With an impressive maximum shutter speed of 1/8000-second the E-3 enables you to freeze even the fastest subjects. Users can also set the shutter speeds as long as 60 seconds in Manual or Automatic settings for low light shooting or unique visual effects. The durable shutter mechanism ensures reliability, and has been tested to 150,000 cycles, making the E-3 capable of withstanding heavy day-to-day use.
- Proven Dust Reduction System
- The Olympus E-3 is equipped with the Supersonic Wave Filter (SWF) self-cleaning ultrasonic sensor unit that eliminates dust particles on the sensor by silently vibrating at an amazing 30,000 times per second, thereby ensuring spot-free images.
- Rugged Weatherproof Magnesium-Alloy Construction
- The E-3 is built using a unique casting technology to create a stronger magnesium chassis for greater durability, and its classic penta-mirror design is portable enough to comfortably shoot with all day. The camera is also sealed to make it splash-proof and dust-proof, and when used with Olympus 'High Grade' and 'Super High Grade' lenses, is sealed from the elements to perform in the most rugged conditions.
- Intuitive Controls and Menus
- The Olympus E-3 provides unparalleled ease-of-use as a result of sensible menus and easy-to-understand buttons that enable total manual control, thus allowing customizable settings for every imaginable situation.
- Dual Memory Card Slots
- The Olympus E-3 has two card slots so the camera is compatible with CompactFlash (Type I & II, UDMA), Microdrives and xD-Picture Cards, thereby providing a choice of data storage options for enhanced flexibility. Plus, it is possible to transfer image files from one card to the other right inside the camera.