The Nikon D60 SLR Digital Camera has been designed for the consumer who wants to combine top technology with user-friendliness and creative features. The D60 provides a resolution of 10.2 effective Megapixels, and incorporates Nikon's exclusive EXPEED image-processing concept, which is utilized to maximize image quality and processing speed - resulting in continuous shooting capability at 3.0 fps, near instant power-up at just 0.19 seconds and high ISO sensitivity, all in a compact, lightweight body with a user-friendly ergonomic design.
A common problem with SLR digital cameras is the accumulation of dust in the camera's image box that can be introduced into the camera body when changing lenses, leading to distracting spots on your images. To combat this potential problem, the D60 includes an integrated dust reduction system which consists of an Airflow Control System that channels dust out of the image path and a vibrating, self-cleaning sensor unit shakes off any remaining dust from the camera's image sensor.
The D60 is capable of use in a range of lighting conditions resulting from a wide sensitivity range of ISO 100 to ISO 1600 and offers vivid color reproduction with clear, sharp results. The camera's built-in Speedlight produces excellent balanced results thanks to Nikon's sophisticated i-TTL flash system, and also allows the use of additional remote-controlled Speedlights via a TTL Hot Shoe. For convenient use in places where flash photography is not allowed, the camera will set the sensitivity automatically for the best results.
The Nikon D60 is designed to simplify camera operation with a user-friendly design that includes a reduced number of buttons to allow the photographer to concentrate on taking pictures. The camera also offers creative features that are designed to allow the optimization and adjustment of images without the need for a computer. Image optimization is achieved through functions like Active D-Lighting (which compensates for strong shadows), and the automatic correction of false eye color when using the built-in flash. Additional creative features include the automated creation of stop-motion animation files from a sequence of images, and effects that simulate the use of optical filters to produce color shading and sparkling highlights.
The 2.5-inch LCD screen on the back of the D60 presents information using an easy to understand graphic user interface, with a choice of three types of presentation style to suit all users. The camera also incorporates a built-in orientation sensor so that the symbols and numbers in the display can be rotated through 90 degrees to present information in the correct orientation according to how the camera is being held, and the D60 includes a sensor that turns off the LCD monitor screen automatically when the viewfinder is raised to the photographer's eye - thereby saving power and preventing any visual distraction when shooting with the viewfinder.
- 10.2 Megapixel Resolution
- The high-resolution image quality of the Nikon D60 is made possible by Nikon's high-performance 10.2 megapixel DX format CCD imaging sensor and exclusive Nikon image processing engine which assures stunning sharpness and color. You'll be able to print beautifully detailed enlargements of 20 x 30 inches and beyond even with some creative cropping.
- Integrated Dust Reduction System
- The Nikon D60 uses two complementary dust reduction methods to keep your images free of distracting spots. First, the camera body incorporates Nikon's exclusive Airflow Control System that leads air within the mirror box towards small ducts near the base, preventing internal dust from settling in front of the image sensor. Then the image sensor itself engages an Imaging Sensor Cleaning function when the camera is started up that uses vibrations to shake dust away from the optical low-pass filter in front of the sensor. Furthermore, Nikon engineers have designed the camera body to minimize dust infiltration and prevent such image degrading material from attaching to the filter or being seen by the sensor when you are taking pictures.
- Compact and Lightweight Camera Body
- At just over 16 ounces, the beautifully styled and compact D60 makes high-performance digital SLR photography easier and more convenient than ever. The camera body fits your hand perfectly, with a well-balanced design and grip to ensure easy access to the camera controls.
- Fast Startup & Superb Performance
- Fast startup combined with super-fast shutter response and rapid-action shooting at up to 3 frames per second for as many as 100 consecutive JPEG images makes it easy to freeze special moments instantly, and capture high-quality action sequences of children at play, sporting activities such as soccer, or baseball, and much more.
- Compatible with Nikkor Lenses
- All Nikon AF-S/AF-I Nikkor lenses work seamlessly with the D60, and all Nikon lenses feature the finest optics and precision mechanisms to provide optimized performance for sharp, consistent results (Autofocus is supported only with AF-S and AF-I CPU lenses, which are equipped with an autofocus motor).
- Fast and Accurate 3-Area Autofocus
- The advanced 3-area AF system uses Nikon's exclusive three-area Multi-CAM 530 AF Sensor Module and refined algorithms inherited from more advanced Nikon digital SLR cameras to deliver fast, efficient and precise autofocus. These AF refinements deliver greater precision with fast, more consistent subject acquisition and improved focus tracking for consistently sharper pictures.
- 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II instantly evaluates the brightness, contrast and colors of any shooting scenario and compares it to a built-in database of over 30,000 actual photographic scenes to calculate precise exposures, thereby obtaining optimum results, even in challenging lighting conditions. In addition, Center-weighted and Spot metering are also available to meet specialized applications.
- Broad ISO Sensitivity Range
- The ISO sensitivity of the Nikon D60 can be set from 100 all the way to 1600, enabling beautiful images in many challenging low-light situations without using a flash. There is also a HI-1 setting that provides up to 1EV stop above ISO 1600 (equivalent to ISO 3200), and a Flash-Off Mode that shuts off the camera's flash and boosts its ISO so users can easily take pictures in places where flash photography is not allowed, inappropriate or to obtain the look unique to naturally lit pictures.
- Easy-to-use Digital Vari-Program Modes
- Get better shots in almost any situation with the Eight Easy-to-use Digital Vari-Program modes. Each of the eight modes is designed to calculate the best settings for your scene automatically. Simply choose one of the modes (Auto, Auto Flash-OFF, Portrait, Landscape, Child, Sports, Close Up or Night Portrait), and the camera will adjust itself automatically to make creative photography as simple as rotating the mode dial.
- Image Optimization Options
- The D60's Image Optimization settings let photographers adjust color, contrast and sharpening, as well as other image settings, according to the type of scene or output desired. Settings include: Normal, Softer, Vivid, More Vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black and White, each of which are automatically adjusted based on sophisticated Nikon algorithms or user-selected settings for optimum results.
- Built-in Speedlight with i-TTL Automatic Flash Control
- Nikon's innovative i-TTL flash control evaluates flash exposure with incredible precision to achieve better automatic flash balance and deliver outstanding results. The built-in Speedlight is always at the ready and brings beautiful exposures in darkened conditions, as well as adding sparkle for fill flash in outdoor situations for enhanced twilight shots or an added impact to daylight images. In low-light or back-light situations, added illumination from the built-in Speedlight can make the difference between an average snapshot and a dazzling picture. To extend your flash shooting range and creativity, just add an optional Nikon Speedlight such as the Nikon SB-400.
- Stop-Motion Video
- The Nikon D60 has a stop-motion animation feature that allows users to easily create an animated video from a sequence of images. Simply select the first and last frames from a sequence of shots; and you can easily re-edit before saving it as a movie by changing the starting image or removing specific images. There are also several size and frame rates to choose from.
- 2.5" Color LCD Monitor
- The 2.5-inch Color LCD monitor has a resolution of about 230,000 pixels and is easy to view from any angle with a 170° wide-angle viewing capability. The large display means that playback images are easy to see and function menus are easier to use with larger type fonts - plus the display enables image preview at up to 19 times magnification. Furthermore, the Orientation Sensor and auto rotating LCD display feature provides automatic horizontal and vertical graphic display orientation.
- Advanced HELP Menu System
- The built-in Help Menu system of the D60 provides advice and directions for every camera setting at the press of a button. Simply press the "?" button on the back of the camera, and you'll see detailed information about particular functions displayed on the LCD panel, so you're always prepared. Furthermore, useful "assist images" help you select the ideal setting for your picture.
- In-camera NEF (RAW) Processing
- Nikon's NEF (RAW) format lets you enjoy an incredible amount of creative freedom and control over camera settings - even after the actual shot is taken. If time is tight or you are unsure of which setting to use, it's even possible to shoot first with NEF (RAW) and make adjustments later (change the image quality, image size, white balance or even exposure compensation) - right in the camera, and without a computer.
- In-Camera Image Editing
- Highly versatile in-camera editing features through the Retouch Menu include Nikon D-Lighting, Red-Eye Correction, Image Trim, Image Overlay, Monochrome (Black & White, Sepia and Cyanotype) along with Skylight, Warm Tone, Color Balance filter effects, Quick Retouch, NEF (RAW) Processing, Cross Star and Color Intensifier filters. These features provide greater creative freedom without the need for a computer, for those who prefer to send pictures directly to a printer.
- Long-lasting Battery
- The EN-EL9 rechargeable Lithium-ion battery lets you take up to 500 shots in single-frame shooting mode (based on CIPA standards), while the optional EH-5 AC Adapter can be used to power the camera for even longer periods (an AC Adapter Connector EP-5 is required, available separately).
- Photo Printing Made Simple with Direct Printing
- The Nikon D60 supports PictBridge direct printing. Simply connect the camera to a PictBridge compatible printer using the included USB cable, and print pictures directly from your camera - without the need for a PC.
- Process your images like a Pro with Capture NX Software (optional)
- Nikon's revolutionary Capture NX software gives you an unprecedented degree of control over your images. Thanks to exclusive U Point Technology, by Nik Software, Capture NX does all the calculations for you, making it the first truly usable editing imaging software for all levels of photographers.