The Olympus E-520 SLR Digital Camera combines the versatility, performance, and image quality of a professional SLR, with the simplicity, compact size and ease-of-use of a consumer point-and-shoot digital camera - making it an ideal camera for photo hobbyists and serious digital photographers alike. The high resolution 10-megapixel Live-MOS image sensor combined with the TruePic III processor gives you better color and quality with true-to-life skin tones, brilliant blue skies, precise color transitions, more detail and less image noise - plus the high resolution provides you with the flexibility to crop your images and still produce large, detailed prints.
The 2.7" HyperCrystal II LCD enables images to be beautifully displayed in vivid color, even from 176-degree viewing angles or in bright sunlight, and the Autofocus Live View feature provides users with the choice of framing images with the viewfinder or on the LCD Display, making it simple to preview and review your images, and is the perfect tool for macro, portrait or even landscape shooting. The ergonomic and lightweight design of the camera body means that the camera will be comfortable to hold even after a long day of sightseeing, and the E-520 makes it easy to shoot like a pro with 20 intuitive Scene Select Modes like Fireworks, Night Scene, Portraits and even underwater modes.
The E-520's industry-leading Image Stabilization technology, which is built into the camera body, compensates for movement so you can capture blur-free shots with any lens -- even at slow shutter speeds. It uses a gyro sensor to track the movement of the camera and automatically compensates for it by moving the image sensor so blurriness is minimized or even eliminated. The image stabilization system can also be activated to assist you in low light settings. Furthermore, the Professional quality Zuiko lenses that Olympus has developed for the Evolt SLR cameras are designed to work perfectly with all of the camera's digital technology so your pictures will have exceptional color and clarity, and a broad selection of lenses is available. The E-520 also solves the dust problem commonly found with SLR cameras by providing a proven anti-dust system so your pictures will be spotless - every time.
- 10.0 Megapixel Resolution
- The Olympus E-520 incorporates a 10-megapixel Live-MOS imaging sensor that provides professional quality image resolution and lower noise than other image sensors.
- Professional Quality Zuiko-Digital Lens
- Olympus Zuiko lenses are precision-engineered and designed especially for digital photography to provide edge-to-edge clarity and even brightness across your image. Furthermore, there is a large selection of Zuiko lenses available ranging from extremely wide angle to high zoom telephoto lenses as well as specialty lenses, and all Zuiko Digital lenses are compatible with all Olympus E-System digital SLR cameras.
- In-Body Image Stabilization
The E-520 includes In-Body Image Stabilization that utilized sensor-shift technology to counter the effect of camera shake. Because the stabilization system is built into the camera body, it can be used with any compatible lens, eliminating the extra expense of specialized lenses. The In-Body Image Stabilization has three modes for increased versatility.
The IS-1 mode adjusts the sensor on both the X and Y-axes to compensate for movement by the photographer, so images stay sharp even at slow shutter speeds. To capture the action of athletes or animals, the Image Stabilization system offers two specialized modes; the IS-2 mode is optimized for holding the camera horizontally while panning which is ideal for capturing subjects such as a racecar flying down the track. For sharp images of moving subjects like a basketball player charging up the court, the IS-3 mode allows a photographer the option of holding the camera vertically while panning for dramatic effects of action. The artistic effects of panning enhance the shot and render the subject in sharp detail with a motion-blurred background.
- Anti-Dust System
- The proven anti-dust system ensures that you'll get spotless pictures - every time. Every time you turn on the E-520, the Supersonic Wave Filter - located between the shutter and the image sensor - silently vibrates an amazing 30,000 times per second, so dust is flung away and collected so it can't come back. As a result, you can change lenses anywhere without worrying about dust.
- Compact and Comfortable Design
- The lightweight and compact body of the E-520 is ergonomically designed for superior comfort so it's a pleasure to carry and use for hours at a time.
- TruePic III Image Processor
- The TruePic III Image Processor provides fast camera operation and processing speed for more responsive camera operation. Along with the speed advantages, TruePic III also produces crystal clear photos using all the pixel information for each image to provide you with brilliantly clear, and bright photos with accurate skin tones.
- 20 Easy-to-use Scene-select Modes
- The E-520 makes it easy to shoot like a pro with 20 easy-to-use Scene Select Modes covering practically every common shooting scenario including Portrait, Fireworks, Sports, Landscape, Sunset, and many more. Simply select the right mode for your shot, and the E-520 takes care of the rest.
- Face Detection
- The Face Detection feature distinguishes between people's faces and the background and is shown right on the LCD. This innovative technology tracks up to eight faces within the image area and automatically focuses and optimizes exposure for sharp, brilliant portrait pictures.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Enabled by the advanced TruePic III Image Processor, Shadow Adjustment Technology compensates for extreme contrast when shooting under bright light conditions such as afternoon sunlight. Shadow Adjustment Technology adjusts the exposure in the shadows while retaining all the detail in the bright areas.
- Built-in and External Flash
- Use the built-in, auto pop-up flash with six modes including auto and redeye reduction, and even manually adjust the flash intensity for a custom look, or attach an external flash such as the FL-36 to the Hot Shoe for even more illuminating options. The E-520 is also compatible with Olympus wireless flashes such as the FL-50R, so you could utilize wireless multi-flash photography to truly expand your creative options.
- 2.7" LCD Display
- The 2.7 HyperCrystal II LCD has approximately 230,000 pixels, and provides many times the contrast of conventional LCD monitors, making it easy to view your shots, even in bright sunlight. Plus, you'll be able to see the screen with amazing clarity from almost any angle.
- Autofocus Live View
- In addition to a traditional optical through-the-lens viewfinder, the E-520 boasts a Live View LCD, which makes it easier to compose and shoot in any situation, from any angle. In addition The E-520's on-screen Autofocus works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects, in focus, on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way - making composition of your shots even easier. In addition, Perfect Shot Preview enables you to view and select your favorite effect right on the LCD, and see how the image will look, even before you capture it.
- Capture in JPEG or RAW
- Shoot using JPEG format for no-hassle sharing, printing, and viewing, or shoot using RAW format for highest image quality and control. You can even shoot in both JPEG & RAW formats simultaneously for the ultimate in file management options.
- Versatile Color Modes
- The E-520 is compatible with sRGB or Adobe RGB color spaces, and you can fine-tune your photo's colors with five modes (Vivid, Natural, Muted, Monotone, Sepia), shoot in black and white using monotone filter effects or use picture tone settings (Sepia, Blue, Purple or Green tone available) for even more image color options. Altogether, the advanced color modes of the E-520 let you be as creative as your imagination allows.
- Dual Card Slot
- The E-520 has two memory slots, one that hold Compact Flash (Type I & II) or Microdrive cards and one for xD-picture cards. Use the dual slot design to transfer images you want to save from one card to another for better management of your important images.
- Auto-Connect USB & Direct Print Compatible
- Transfer your images faster and easier to a computer for viewing, editing, printing and more with a simple USB connection (USB 2.0 Full Speed), no software installation necessary. The E-520 can also connect to any PictBridge-enabled printer via the included USB cable for fast and easy PC-free printing. Simply select the images that you wish to print on the camera's LCD and print.
- Remote Control Flash Control
- You can control the power of compatible Olympus flash units from the back of the camera