Nocturn from Novation is a hardware plug-in controller featuring Automap Universal 2.0 software, that in turn provides automatic, instant and intelligent control of all automatable plug-ins within every major sequencer, including Pro Tools. Featuring a transparent control GUI, the software places a transparent control map across the computer screen, to be recalled or hidden at will.
The controller features eight touch-sensitive rotary encoders, each equipped with a bright eleven-LED ring, which can be ideal for a laptop DJ working in a dark club environment. These are complemented by eight, user-assignable illuminated buttons and a smooth, professional 45mm crossfader. Also included is a "speed dial", a touch-sensitive rotary encoder that instantly takes control of whatever the user's mouse is focused on.
When a plug-in is instantiated, how the parameters are assigned to each of Nocturn's controls is instantly visible. A click and control "learn" function is also available for quick re-assigning of controls, or for creating custom controller maps. Multiple page options mean the user can assign a potentially infinite number of parameters for each plug-in. Automap Universal also supports standard MIDI protocol, providing the same transparent display for quick and simple assigning of MIDI parameters.
Nocturn's tactile control layout, side mounted USB socket, and ultra-low profile, allow it to sit neatly in front of a QWERTY keyboard, or on a larger keyboard, while rugged rubber grips hold it steady. Combined, Automap Universal 2.0's transparent control GUI, and the controller's touch sensitive dials remove issues inherent in controlling multiple instruments and effects.
- Hardware control for plug-ins or virtual instruments
- Automap Universal 2.0 technology provides a transparent control map across the computer screen, allowing the user to see at a glance how every parameter is assigned
- "Speed Dial" is an instant access, touch-sensitive control for composers and performers alike, allowing them to take control of whatever the mouse is focused on
- Eight touch-sensitive rotary encoders with bright, eleven-LED rings
- Illuminated buttons and a smooth, professional 45mm crossfader, makes it ideal for laptop DJ'ing in a dark club environment
- Instant "learn" function allows for assigning a parameter to a control simply by clicking on the parameter and touching the chosen control
- GUI allows for quick entry of new control names, parameter ranges and step sizes
- A simple browse facility allows the user to view plug-ins by type (all instruments, all FX, etc.), then instantly switch to control any of them
- The transparent GUI also allows quick and simple editing of standard MIDI parameters