By combining a high-quality lens and sensor ready for a variety of shooting conditions with a wide-range of accessories and manual controls, the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Digital Camera is ideal for professional photographers and serious amateurs looking for a compact digital camera that allows for a full range of creative photography capabilities.
The camera incorporates a wide angle f/2.0 aperture Leica DC Vario-Summicron lens with 2.5x wide-angle optical zoom (equivalent to 24mm - 60mm on a 35mm film camera) and the MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) system. The camera also incorporates an enhanced 1/1.63-inch CCD that is capable of capturing 10.1-Megapixels and has been designed to provide more space for each pixel to minimize image noise and optimize image quality and dynamic range. The CCD is also capable of reproducing images in three aspect ratios (4:3, 3:2 or 16:9), and the Multi Aspect mode allows the camera to take an image in all three aspect ratios simultaneously. It also boasts the Venus Engine IV high performance image processing LSI to dramatically reduce image noise (even using the high sensitivity setting of ISO 3200 at full resolution), and provide fast shooting performance with an incredibly fast shutter lag, and burst shooting capability.
The DMC-LX3 is further distinguished from other cameras by its full manual capability and extensive features that are easily accessible through the cameras joystick controller. These features include a Film mode that allows users to emulate the effects of different film types, a multiple-exposure feature for creating artistic photos by overlaying up to three consecutive images, and easy-to-use Manual modes that give the user greater shot-making flexibility and control. In addition the camera can also capture video clips in standard VGA, and HD video formats.
The camera's large 3.0-inch LCD is outstanding for both shooting and viewing. With a 3:2 aspect ratio and high 460,000-dot resolution, the LCD panel provides bright, easy-to-see images over a wider viewing angle. Furthermore, the Intelligent LCD function, assures comfortable viewing in virtually all conditions by automatically adjusting the backlighting of LCD as the ambient light level changes. The camera also provides an impressive slideshow feature where users can select the images, choose for a series of creative transitions and even add music to the presentation - all within the camera. And the camera has HD output capability (Requires an optional HD component cable) to view your images, slideshows and video clips in beautiful HD quality.
- Large 10.1-megapixel CCD
- In addition to being a large area image sensor for a Compact Digital Camera, the 1/1.63-inch 10.1-megapixel CCD of the DMC-LX3 has been designed to maximize the size of the photodiodes, and as a result, both sensitivity and saturation have been boosted by about 40% over ordinary models, giving the LX3 exquisite image quality with both excellent sensitivity and a wide dynamic range. Panasonic also minimized noise generation by using newly designed, highly efficient support electronics around the CCD and a large output buffer to provide dramatically improved color reproduction in low lighting, where noise is typically a problem.
- 24mm Ultra-Wide-Angle Leica Lens
- The camera's 24mm equivalent ultra-wide-angle Leica DC Vario-Summicron Lens provides an impressive f/2.0 aperture that allows users of the LX3 to shoot at higher shutter speeds and capture stunningly clear, sharp, blur-free images in lower lighting situations, while the 24mm ultra-wide-angle capability of the lens gives photographers a wider range of composition possibilities. The super-high-quality lens minimizes distortion with minimum artifacts such as chromatic aberrations, ghosting and flaring, so users can get stunning, true-to-life images with outstanding resolution and detail, and this advanced lens also makes it easy to produce beautiful photos with pleasing soft background focusing thanks to the shallow depth of field provided by the extra light.
- MEGA O.I.S. with Intelligent ISO Control
- The MEGA O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer) system compensates for handshake - the major cause of blurred images. Every slight hand-shake movement is detected accurately and is compensated to render clear, sharp images. In addition, movement of the subject, the other major cause of blurred images, is suppressed by Intelligent ISO Control (I.I.C.) that provides for automatic adjustment of the ISO setting and shutter speed that best suits the situation by analyzing the speed of subject movement.
- Venus Engine IV Image-Processing LSI
- The Panasonic image-processing LSI, Venus Engine IV, features more advanced signal processing technology for rendering even higher-quality images, including improved parallel noise reduction in both luminance signal and chromatic signal processing systems. This not only produces a clearer image in high ISO sensitivity recording, but also faithfully reproduces details in low-lit areas of pictures taken at low ISO sensitivity. The Venus Engine IV also supports sensitivity setting of up to ISO 3200 at full resolution and even up to ISO 6400 when using the high sensitivity mode, sensitive enough to capture subjects in near-total darkness without using a flash. Plus the Intelligent Exposure function now has high, standard and low settings of effect to match the shooting conditions and desired result.
- High Speed Performance
- Thanks to the Venus Engine IV, the DMC-LX3 boasts outstanding response time with a shutter release time lag is as short as 0.005 seconds to make it easy to capture sudden, spur-of-the-moment shots. The camera also provides a burst shooting mode that can snap 2.5 shots per second at full resolution, and a High-Speed Burst mode that it fires off an incredible 6 shots per second at lower resolution. Plus you'll also get unlimited consecutive shooting and a Flash Burst mode that makes it possible to take continuous shots - even with the flash on.
- Shoot in Three Aspect Ratios - At the Same Time
- The DMC-LX3 can reproduce images shot in any of three aspect ratios; 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9, so you can always capture dynamic, richly expressive shots with a wide perspective, and the Multi Aspect mode allows the camera to take an image in all three aspect ratios simultaneously for the photographer to choose the one that best takes the advantage of the scene after shooting.
- Intuitive Operation
- The easy-to-use joystick control of the DMC-LX3 facilitates ease-of-use, provides the user with the ability to take full advantage of the multitude of functions offered by the camera and easy access to the manual controls of the camera including focus, aperture, shutter speed, and exposure compensation. In addition, the Quick Menu button provides a quick shortcut to frequently used camera functions - even while monitoring a subject on the LCD.
- Auto and Manual Focus
- A switch on the side of the lens barrel lets you quickly change the focus mode between Manual Focus, Auto Focus or Macro AF. When using the Manual Focus mode, not only the focus distance but also the DOF (depth of field) and aperture is displayed. The focus button on the top lets you directly choose the auto-focusing point freely from the entire field of view with the 1-point AF or spot AF method, and the same button works for a direct enlargement on the focused point when playing back the images. The Macro capability of the camera allows users to focus on a subject as close as 1cm away for dynamic close-up macro shots. There is also an AF Tracking function that automatically tracks the subject once the AF has been set even if the subject moves around, making it easier to capture sharp, well-focused photos.
- Film Modes
- The DMC-LX3 offers a Film mode with six color types and three types of monochrome to choose from. Much like selecting different film types with a film camera, this function gives the user the flexibility to produce more interesting and expressive images. When you use the Multi-film mode, the camera produces up to three images from a RAW file for you to enjoy different textures of a film on one same picture. Another new feature is the multiple-exposure function, which lets the user create artistic photo productions, overlaying up to three consecutive images while viewing the most recent image in the monitor. The camera also provides extensive white balance control with a color temperature display that presents either a Two-Axis White Balance Adjustment control or a custom setting function that lets users store up to four sets of settings that can be accessed using the mode dial.
- Intelligent Auto (iA) Mode
- While the DMC-LX3 allows full manual control for more advanced photography, the camera also allows user to take perfect shots with outstanding ease. This is made possible by Panasonic Lumix's iA (Intelligent Auto) mode. In iA mode the camera does all the work, activating Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), Intelligent ISO Control, Intelligent Scene Selector, Face Detection, and Intelligent Exposure. This leaves the user free to simply compose the shot and press the shutter button, with the assurance that the image will be clear, beautiful and properly exposed.
- 23 Scene Modes & Image Leveling Feature
- The LX3 offers a total of 23 scene modes, including the unique Pin Hole and Film Grain modes that adds unique, film-camera-like effects and ambiences to images. This wide range of scene modes means that the camera has a setting for just about any shooting situation, and the actual effects of the selected scene mode can be viewed on the LCD before taking the shot. Image Leveling improves post-shooting convenience buy automatically rotating the image to straighten it and cropping the unnecessary edges.
- 3-inch High Resolution LCD
- The cameras clear, easy-to-see 3.0-inch LCD Display provides over 460,000 pixels of resolution for a comfortable view during either shooting or playback, plus the Intelligent LCD function detects the ambient light condition and automatically boosts the LCD backlighting when shooting in bright sunshine, and adjusts the frame rate when shooting in low-lit situations. This function gives the display the most appropriate clarity in any situation without using extra energy.
- Versatile Video Options
- The DMC-LX3 records dynamic HD motion pictures in 1280 x 720p at a smooth 24 fps, in addition to WVGA (848 x 480) and normal VGA (640 x 480) at 10 or 30 fps. The DMC-LX3 also has a slideshow function that allows users to assemble slide shows in-camera complete with music and a variety of slide change effects for emotion-filled slideshows. Both video clips and slideshows can be viewed on a standard TV with the included video cable or view them on a large-screen HDTV - thanks to the camera's HD component output capability (requires optional DMW-HDC2 component cable).
- Camera System Expandability
- The DMC-LX3 is part of a larger photographic system that includes a slew of useful accessories to customize your camera's capabilities. Users can add various filters* to the camera in order to modify the optical characteristics of the camera and the optional Wide Conversion Lens (DMW-LW46*) brings the maximum wide angle all the way to an incredible 18mm. There is also an optional External Optical Viewfinder (DMW-VF1) provides bright, clear viewing without wearing down the battery, and the optional GN22 Flash mounts to the cameras hot shoe. These and other accessories let users build around the LX3 to create a powerful, versatile camera system that can take them as far into photography as they want to go.
- Built-In and Expandable Memory
- The camera is equipped with 50MB of built-in memory to serve not just as a tool of shooting images but also as a digital album, to enjoy seeing and showing your favorite pictures. The camera memory can be expanded using MultiMediaCards, Secure Digital Cards or SDHC Memory Cards that are available in capacities of 4GB and more.
- Direct Print Capable
- With PictBridge direct printing, users can make prints by just connecting the DMC-LX3 camera to a Pictbridge -compatible printer via the included USB cable. The Direct Print mode is easily accessible via the mode dial of the camera so that you can easily access the print control features
- Extensive Software Included
The DMC-LX3 includes a host of editing software including ArcSoft MediaImpression, and ArcSoft Panorama Maker in addition to the USB Driver, Lumix Simple Viewer, and Photo Fun Studio. To edit and develop RAW files, SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3.0SE software is included so you can freely adjust various setting such as exposure, or white balance, and take maximum advantage of the RAW file format.
* Requires optional DMW-LA4 lens adapter