The high-performance Leica D-LUX 4 Digital Camera incorporates a wide-angle DC Vario-Summicron lens with a focal length equivalent of 24 to 60mm, allowing for creative picture composition. The camera also possesses a powerful CCD image sensor that provides 10.1 megapixels of effective resolution to ensure superb image detail. Furthermore, the integrated optical image stabilizer gives the user additional protection against camera shake in all photography situations, even under difficult lighting conditions.
The camera can capture images in three picture formats (16:9, 3:2 and 4:3) and can capture video clips as well in both standard and wide format - even in HD. Plus, an optional cable is available to allow users to view imagers and video clips on an HDTV. The large 3.0" LCD display provides full coverage for an image to be displayed in 16:9 format. The image signal processor has been improved over the previous model, delivering even faster image processing by the camera, thereby allowing the D-LUX 4 to respond quickly and reliably at any moment.
The Leica D-LUX 4 is also a very versatile camera that allows users to manually adjust exposure settings. Plus, there is a full range of automatic and scene settings available to cover just about any shooting situation one may encounter. There are even a number of accessories available that will make your shooting experience more in tune with your specific needs. These accessories include an external flash unit that provides full TTL flash exposure control, an attachable viewfinder with a 24-mm LED display to aid framing even in extreme light situations, a hand grip to allow for more comfortable handling of the camera, as well as other accessory options such as cases and memory cards - making the Leica D-LUX 4 a full camera system, not just a point-and-shoot.
- Stylish Design
- The minimalist design of the D-LUX 4 is totally in keeping with the Leica tradition of cameras with a clean, discreet and timeless look. The housing of the camera is made of high-quality aluminum, making the D-LUX 4 so light, compact and unobtrusive that there's no reason why you should leave it at home.
- Powerful Image Sensor
- The large 1/1.63" CCD image sensor provides 10.1 Megapixels of effective resolution, so the smallest details of the subject are reproduced exactly. The larger sensor size provides more vibrant colors with less image noise.
- 2.5x Wide-Angle Zoom Lens
- The LEICA DC Vario-Summicron lens has a focusing range of 24-60 mm (35mm equivalent), and allows the photo enthusiast to work with an open shutter, which makes the D-LUX 4 ideal for available light exposures or for using the wide aperture for selective use of field depth. The lens consists of eight elements, four of which are aspherical, and is specifically matched to the camera sensor, to produce stunningly brilliant pictures in true-to-life colors.
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- The legendary Leica image quality is enhanced even further with the optical image stabilizer (O.I.S.) that effectively compensates for camera shake to ensure razor-sharp pictures at all times, even in the telephoto range, in low light conditions and when you take quick snapshots.
- Widescreen Image Format
- The 16:9 picture format with the full resolution of over 10 megapixels produces fantastic images for frame-filling viewing on HDTV equipment. The more traditional 4:3 and 3:2 formats are also selectable.
- Records RAW File Format
- The D-LUX 4 records images as JPEG files or in professional RAW format - which is rarely offered in this class of camera - to allow further processing to obtain professional photographic results with optimum image quality. The camera also includes Capture One 4 (RAW data converter) professional software to ensure that the RAW data supplied by the CCD sensor is processed to produce professional images with optimum quality.
- Extensive Creative Possibilities
- Focus, shutter speed, aperture and exposure override can all be set manually with the intuitive joystick controller, providing the photo enthusiast the capability for highly individual picture composition. There is also a full array of automatic functions including the intelligent automatic mode, as well as many useful scene modes such as landscape, portrait, night portrait, or night scene. Furthermore, the ergonomic layout of the controls and the intuitive operating system make it a pleasure for users with any level of photographic know-how to shoot with the D-LUX 4.
- Film Modes
- The camera has the ability to emulate a number of traditional film types with varying color and contrast characteristics. Additionally, you can program two unique image color modes to give a custom look to your photos.
- Face Recognition System
- The automatic face recognition system automatically adjusts focus and exposure to the faces in the scene, making it easy to get perfect portraits and group photos.
- Record and Play in HD
- Record video clips in HD Video format and record images in the 16:9 ratio for use in HD slide shows. Users can purchase an optional HD component cable, so photos and films can be played in HD quality directly from the D-LUX 4 on HD display screens, projectors, or other HD devices.
- Very Large Display
- The brilliant 3.0" display has a resolution of 460,000 pixels to render a brilliant image for easy user evaluation of composition, and also has a 16:9 aspect ratio so users can view wide-format images and videos in their full glory.
- Direct Print Capable
- Print directly to any PictBridge Capable Printer without a computer; the on-camera image editing features assure that you are able to create just the right image easily and quickly.
- Expandable Camera System
- The D-LUX 4 camera can be used with an extensive range of accessories - just like the famous Leica M8 system camera - for even more photographic possibilities. These professional accessories include a hand grip that attaches to the bottom of the camera and makes the camera easier to hold, The CF 22 electronic flash with a guide number of 22 (at ISO 100) for whenever flash photography is desired or necessary, an attachable viewfinder with a 24-mm LED display that can be mounted on the flash shoe to allow the camera to be used with outstanding success even in extreme light situations, and many other accessories such as custom cases and memory cards.